Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Allocation waitlist transparency?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 10:18 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I am #5 on my dealer’s list now, almost a year later since I went on it. Nobody gets bumped ahead, no ADM.
what car?
Old 05-13-2022, 10:21 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Unstock
what car?
992 Targa C4S
The following users liked this post:
Unstock (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 10:39 PM
aerohead80
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Wow I wish I was in a position to buy last year. I'd gladly pay 12k ADM. Unfortunetly I have to pay 20k ADM when my car gets here and I put down a 10k nonrefundable deposit. I did make sure I got everything including final sale price in writing so they don't try and pull any funny business.
It seems to me that people being willing to do this kind of thing is why we continue to see dealer's capitalizing on FOMO and asking for ADMs. I absolutely understand there are supply shortages in a wide range of industries and don't for a second see that as some conspiracy. However, I do believe some of the true impacts are being exaggerated and/or taken advantage of to drive sales and higher costs. Part of me even wonders whether Porsche's statements about 2025 no more ICE on certain lines is just a way to drive people to FOMO into jumping into the game now. I guess time will tell.
The following 2 users liked this post by aerohead80:
ToasterThief (05-14-2022), Toon902 (05-15-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 10:41 PM
aerohead80
Intermediate

I think its pretty widely accepted that waitlist positions are completely up to the dealership and being a certain number in line doesn't really mean anything.

A lot of dealerships are willing to skip someone over the line if they means they can make more money. You can be #1 on the list for an MSRP GT4/Spyder but if people come by willing to pay 20k ADM, you'll be skipped over while maintaining that #1 spot.

I was supposedly #1 at my local dealership for about 5 months. I ended up getting an allocation at a dealership out of state.
Where was that dealer located? We need to put a light on that kind of thing in here so people know what they're dealing with at least. If not, then those kinds of dealers will continue to get away with these games and folks will get caught up in it thinking they're playing fair.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:10 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by aerohead80
Where was that dealer located? We need to put a light on that kind of thing in here so people know what they're dealing with at least. If not, then those kinds of dealers will continue to get away with these games and folks will get caught up in it thinking they're playing fair.
Really? That’s most dealers. They’re not saints, they’re car dealers. It’s what they have always done, since the beginning of time. Some better, some worse, but all are car salesmen (people?) at the end of the day.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adrift:
CatVaux (05-14-2022), Unstock (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 11:16 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

I caught a dealership in a lie about me being first in line while they were sitting on a $5k deposit, and prior the last straw, I received some pretty unprofessional treatment from the SA over the course of a couple months' waiting. Dumbasses seem to think customers and enthusiasts don't know one another.

Took my business out of state, and that dealer was straightforward, no BS. If I buy another, and when the tide turns, I'll give the out of state dealer priority, assuming the SA is still in the business.

So YMMV.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:20 PM
aerohead80
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Adrift
Really? That’s most dealers. They’re not saints, they’re car dealers. It’s what they have always done, since the beginning of time. Some better, some worse, but all are car salesmen (people?) at the end of the day.
Yes, really. I mean the deck is already stacked against most people in these threads, why wouldn't more transparency be good for us? I don't see what the downside would be for those here and what good reason you'd have for protecting those kinds of practices. I understand they're car dealers/salesmen, but they're not all equal and it doesn't excuse the behavior or help the consumer out by just accepting it as normal.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:21 PM
aerohead80
Intermediate

Originally Posted by enduro
I caught a dealership in a lie about me being first in line while they were sitting on a $5k deposit, and prior the last straw, I received some pretty unprofessional treatment from the SA over the course of a couple months' waiting. Dumbasses seem to think customers and enthusiasts don't know one another.

Took my business out of state, and that dealer was straightforward, no BS. If I buy another, and when the tide turns, I'll give the out of state dealer priority, assuming the SA is still in the business.

So YMMV.
Where was the first dealer located that you dealt with? Call that stuff out on here, anything else just helps the dealer not the people here.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:27 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Not looking to get in that kind of a pissing contest, but suffice it to say, 'my' other GT4 is running around on Rennlist. They already have a **** rep locally among my friends, but I had to find out for myself. One counterpoint is they do have at least one SA who seems to be stand up, unfortunately I didn't know to transact through him at the time.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:38 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,540 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by aerohead80
I think its a bit different here so I'll give some more context. My local dealership was pretty up front that paying more ADM would move me up the list. That being said when I did get my allocation from out of state, I talked to him first and he told me he hadn't gotten any allocations in. However he did also tell me that as someone willing to pay 20k ADM, I'd definitely get a car. Which wasn't untrue as my allocation out of state is also for 20k ADM., but it just wasn't with him.

That being said I am not willing to tarnish any reputation with him as I also have a GTS deposit down at that dealership for my girlfriend when she is ready to buy.

The point of my original post was just, a dealer telling you that you are #1 or not doesn't really matter. To be honest I don't even think there is an actual list and order. If anything its just whoever is willing to pay more ADM and whichever SA gets to it first.
The following users liked this post:
Unstock (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 11:43 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

And while we are "calling out" dealerships, is there going to be a Snopes that ferrets out the BS stories? Or are we to take on faith that every butt-hurt potential customer will be honest in their communications? Should we start a public blacklist? How many "strikes" will it take to get on the list? Removed from the list? What will constitute a "strike?" Who will decide?
Old 05-13-2022, 11:44 PM
aerohead80
Intermediate

The point of my original post was just, a dealer telling you that you are #1 or not doesn't really matter. To be honest I don't even think there is an actual list and order. If anything its just whoever is willing to pay more ADM and whichever SA gets to it first.
Totally get where you're coming from and fair points. Thanks for expanding on it more so we all learn about the process and what to expect 👍.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:10 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 925 Likes on 369 Posts

My dealer here in Houston said point blank that there is no numeric list they work off of beyond a list of clients interested in certain cars. VIPs get whatever they want, and the rest are divvied up at the dealers discretion. They only charge MSRP so it’s not a bidding war but rather a game of relationships. You don’t have to buy dozens of cars from them to get one. I haven’t ever bought a car from them but managed to get a GTS 4.0 allocation quickly. I have however sent them over a dozen clients that converted to sales for my SA. He took care of me when I finally had an ask. A guy who walks in off the street may never get an allocation.

As for deposits, they only took a $5k deposit when I had a guaranteed allocation and made me sign a purchase order with pricing information including fees and taxes, as well as a document saying they will not charge over the manufacturers price.

They’re one of the 25 Premier dealers in the country for whatever that’s worth.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:16 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,021 Likes on 5,238 Posts

Treat dealer waitlists like horoscopes.

For entertainment purposes only.
The following 5 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Adrift (05-14-2022), AlexCeres (05-14-2022), CatVaux (05-14-2022), JAhmed (05-14-2022), maf401 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 01:13 AM
artongdou
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I had pretty bad experience with this waitlist BS. SA just right out lied to me. And when he left the company and I got transferred to a manager. My position was nowhere near what the SA told me.

Quick Reply: Allocation waitlist transparency?