Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Allocation waitlist transparency?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 01:52 AM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I think its a bit different here so I'll give some more context. My local dealership was pretty up front that paying more ADM would move me up the list. That being said when I did get my allocation from out of state, I talked to him first and he told me he hadn't gotten any allocations in. However he did also tell me that as someone willing to pay 20k ADM, I'd definitely get a car. Which wasn't untrue as my allocation out of state is also for 20k ADM., but it just wasn't with him.

That being said I am not willing to tarnish any reputation with him as I also have a GTS deposit down at that dealership for my girlfriend when she is ready to buy.

The point of my original post was just, a dealer telling you that you are #1 or not doesn't really matter. To be honest I don't even think there is an actual list and order. If anything its just whoever is willing to pay more ADM and whichever SA gets to it first.
I wasn't in the market before pre-covid days but I think it might have been different back then. Back then I would think they actually had lists when cars were selling for at or below MSRP. Now over the last 2.5 years with the whole covid and parts shortage thing with less vehicles being available the dealers are holding all the cards so people that are willing to pay a little more jump the line. Supply and demand plain and simple.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:04 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Treat dealer waitlists like horoscopes.

For entertainment purposes only.
My dealer doesn't have an official list as they know who their good customers are and take care of them. Buying non-GT cars and trading back previously purchased cars helps in staying a good customer and assists in getting GT car allocations. Being a low maintenance customer who submits their build once and doesn't constantly ask about the status of the car doesn't hurt either.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:31 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

IMO, I think it is dealer/ SM/ SA dependent.

Your position on the ‘list’ probably doesn’t mean as much as people think.

We are not lining up at the supermarket deli waiting for them to serve you. Take a number and wait for your turn.

Dealers have to prioritize their limited allocation based on a multitude of factors. The order that you call to express your interest/ pay deposit, ie your position on the list; is probably the last thing that they look at IMO.

The harsh reality is money talks, bull $hit walks.

ADM up here in Canada is more subtle. If I didn’t trade a car in, I am sure I will still be waiting.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:38 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 239 Posts

List?
Haha
Old 05-14-2022, 08:54 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm sure some dealerships honor lists but I'm going to guess a lot don't. I tried to get a gt3 5 years ago and was told I was #3. Every 6 months I was told things like "closer to getting one" and "not far from the top", etc. Got strung along for 2 years and took 3 months to get my deposit back. I wrote to the GM and he confirmed no such list existed, I shouldn't have been verbally told a number, and they only sold to repeat customers and did not stand a chance at getting one.
​​​​I couldn't have been told this beforehand????

After that I learned to throw as many seeds as possible and see if one sprouts. Luckily I was able to get a gt4 allocation before covid. What an amazing car!!
The following 2 users liked this post by MEM82:
JPMD (05-14-2022), Unstock (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 10:25 AM
MechEngr1287
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Unstock
. I wasn't going to let $12k keep me from getting my dream car I have been saving up for over 5 years. They wanted a $5,000 non-refundable deposit what I had no problem leaving with them so I can place my order. I would do it again in a heart beat without a doubt. .
This exactly sums up my feelings; Have been saving for 5-6 years for a down payment for a P-Car. Ever since I drove a buddies 981 GT4 back in 2016 when he bought it I knew I had to have one; Lo and behold when the 718 GT4 was released that was it for me... knew i'd get one; Fast forward to mid/late 2021 when I had a comfortable amount of down payment saved: I was in touch with 5 dealerships between Central and south, FL before actually scoring. A couple didn't return my calls or correspondence, 2 of them gave me the speech of waitlist and "with no previous Porsche buying history or valuable trade in, the deal would have to be for 20-25K ADM" The couple I did go to in person I don't think took me very seriously based on my youth for whatever reason (early 30s). Like you Unstock, I made a visit to the dealer I am getting my through car currently and they were very cool/accommodating and after a bit of back and forth I got them to settle with me on 10K ADM for a configurable GT4 allocation if/when one became available (this was last week of August 2021); Finally got the call about my allocation early October 2021 for Spring Build / May delivery at this time we did the paperwork to lock in the final price.

Originally Posted by Unstock
. Supply and demand plain and simple.
This here really sums it up. This environment of supply and demand is driving it and I feel very greatful that I was able to even get an allocation now looking back at how this climate of demand has progressed in the last 8 months.
The following users liked this post:
Unstock (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 02:21 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by MechEngr1287
This here really sums it up. This environment of supply and demand is driving it and I feel very greatful that I was able to even get an allocation now looking back at how this climate of demand has progressed in the last 8 months.
+1
Old 05-14-2022, 02:42 PM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts

“@adrift”. You lived this process for what seems to be almost 9 months from when you finally went v200 last July I believe to recently being delivered. Just curious if your dealer honored your original agreement. Hopefully there are still some honorable dealers out there.
aerohead80 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 03:07 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by pettelli
“@adrift”. You lived this process for what seems to be almost 9 months from when you finally went v200 last July I believe to recently being delivered. Just curious if your dealer honored your original agreement. Hopefully there are still some honorable dealers out there.
Oh yes, they absolutely did; they honored the MSRP deal we established in July. It would be HUGE negative press for a dealership to change the deal at the last minute (IMO), especially if you're at all plugged into the local PCA (which I am). If your local PCA has like a Facebook page or something, that kind of negative press would be in everyone's face all too easily. Granted, I did have an MSRP invoice with my sig and the SM from July. Some out of towner, though, that would have a harder time getting word around locally...different rules? Dunno.

I was told I was the last non-ADM spyder for which they gave out an allocation. That was when the well went dry for a few months (until Nov).

Now if you want an allocation today...ADM all day long, and twice on Sunday.

Last edited by Adrift; 05-14-2022 at 03:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adrift:
AlexCeres (05-15-2022), pettelli (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 07:41 PM
pettelli
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Oh yes, they absolutely did; they honored the MSRP deal we established in July. It would be HUGE negative press for a dealership to change the deal at the last minute (IMO), especially if you're at all plugged into the local PCA (which I am). If your local PCA has like a Facebook page or something, that kind of negative press would be in everyone's face all too easily. Granted, I did have an MSRP invoice with my sig and the SM from July. Some out of towner, though, that would have a harder time getting word around locally...different rules? Dunno.

I was told I was the last non-ADM spyder for which they gave out an allocation. That was when the well went dry for a few months (until Nov).

Now if you want an allocation today...ADM all day long, and twice on Sunday.
Good to hear there was a happy ending. You waited for a longtime. Glad the dealer stuck with the original agreement. Enjoy that beautiful car!
Adrift (05-14-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 05:48 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,540 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by pettelli
Good to hear there was a happy ending. You waited for a longtime. Glad the dealer stuck with the original agreement. Enjoy that beautiful car!
That is something i am definetly afraid of. I'm paying 20k ADM, but im so afraid that when the car gets here the dealer will suddenly ask for 5k more or whatever. I just finalized by build so i'm trying to get a signed price sheet from the GM as a just incase. I dont really think they'd do something like that as i think the negative publicity backlash wouldnt be worth it...but you never know.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:28 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

One thing I haven't heard any of is dealers backing out on the agreed ADM params after the buyer goes V200, and that includes a GT4 I saw purchased by another friend at the lying dealership, and his was delivered well into the ADM days. Same for mine, which got built after things pretty much went dry. I didn't really believe mine was actually going to happen until I picked it up.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:37 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
That is something i am definetly afraid of. I'm paying 20k ADM, but im so afraid that when the car gets here the dealer will suddenly ask for 5k more or whatever. I just finalized by build so i'm trying to get a signed price sheet from the GM as a just incase. I dont really think they'd do something like that as i think the negative publicity backlash wouldnt be worth it...but you never know.
Why wouldn’t you ask for a Purchase Agreement?

It’s standard practice at my dealer, list all costs to get the car out the door.

I also got a signed Porsche Build Sheet Retail and PSVMS printout.
Rasputin. (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 08:56 AM
Dorian C
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts

Wait list and your position on the list are completely useless unless you are also notified whenever they get an allocation which you won’t. So just trust or don’t trust the system and hope for the best. My dealer had a list but I also know they would give cars to those have higher spec first. Makes sense when you get limited cars.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:49 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,540 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Why wouldn’t you ask for a Purchase Agreement?

It’s standard practice at my dealer, list all costs to get the car out the door.

I also got a signed Porsche Build Sheet Retail and PSVMS printout.
Oh i do, but i just changed my build and added some stuff so at this point i'm waiting for a new purchase agreement.

Quick Reply: Allocation waitlist transparency?