Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

First day in my python green spyder

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 03:00 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,499 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
The color just seems to make (most) people happy…and a few very angry. lol On a car as naturally gorgeous as the spyder, the effect is just magnified.
Yellow has the same effect IMO. I’ve seen python green in person on a GT4 and it was magnificent, your build almost makes me like black wheels! Congrats, it looks amazing.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:50 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 384 Posts

Very happy for you!
Enjoy your beautiful car!
Old 05-07-2022, 04:55 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Congratulations, great looking car.👍

I debated between Shark Blue and Python Green. In the end I went with Shark Blue. However, I would be equally happy with Python Green.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (05-08-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 07:35 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Yellow has the same effect IMO. I’ve seen python green in person on a GT4 and it was magnificent, your build almost makes me like black wheels! Congrats, it looks amazing.
It takes a very bright color to pull off black wheels, IMO. I worried about that, but upon seeing it in person, I think it works, especially with the yellow calipers.

Thanks, I am very pleased.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:39 PM
Rasputin.
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 252 Posts

It takes a very bright color to pull off black wheels, IMO. I worried about that, but upon seeing it in person, I think it works, especially with the yellow calipers.

Black wheels work on any color! Don’t be a hater against black! It’s 2022!!!!!
SpyderSenseOC (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 08:00 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

First, if you’re considering PG, at the risk of making it less rare…abso - fing - lutely do it. WOW It is crazy good looking in person, and elicits strong reactions. If you want stealth, then no, but if you enjoy bringing people great joy, then yes yes yes. Enough said on that.

Misc observations toodling around town:
- not too rough at city speeds at all. Not even close. IMO
- even with stock exhaust, it is a visceral aural beast at 4500 and above (which only left me 500 rpm to enjoy it lol)(
- even with stock exhaust, there is considerable drone around 2500. It is what it is.
- burmester does not disappoint. People telling you you can’t hear it are full of caca, or are going 90. I haven’t tried 90, to be fair. But up to 60, it is butta.
- I’m not sure I’ve experienced a bona fide grind yet, but when I downshift, there is a tiny metallic sound. I can’t feel it in the stick, but I can hear a tiny metallic chirp. Instant and gone. Not sure what to make of it yet.
- It is a torque beast from 3500 on. I like. Can’t imagine the juice when you get over 7k!
- at low speeds (and idle), an odd sort of sewing machine sound (with an accompanying ticking) comes and goes, but is sometimes very noticeable. Couldn’t correlate it with any button / function (incl ac). Normal?
- the footwell is hot. Because of the radiators? Don’t dare just try to circulate air low, as it was always fairly warm, bordering on hot,
- car ran 210-220ish, looking a bit close to the red zone on the gauge. Normal? Not a super hot day, not a ton of solar load, but stoplight to stoplight driving. Whether AC on or off.
- would I have preferred sofas? Maybe. But it needs buckets.

In love with the car. Every bit as beautiful as I expected, and i can tell it promises to delight when broken in. IT IS GORGEOUS! And I am very picky. The perfect culmination of the boxster line (which I love).

Well, first off, congratulations. I'm jealous. I also didn't expect you to be old like me (57). lol. And second, that is one bad ****. Dammit. I've said it before a million times and I'll say it again. Not a better looking P car made today. And yours is a top level example. Love the PG and applaud your bravery and F it mentality and just getting what you want. Life is to short to settle when you don't need to. My wife absolutely detested the green (Kermit the Frog was mentioned too many times) it and I could not live with a $150K purchase that made her roll her eyes when she sees it. Call me weak.

Hope the buckets work for you. My back has too many miles on it at this point for me to take that risk because it really cannot be undone, but the LWB's are works of art like the car and are appropriate. Hopefully my sofas will be a slight step down in one way and a step up in another.

Anyhow, I'll keep looking for your impressions and recommendations as I await the Hestia Leader (which has not yet made it to the Canal) and live vicariously through you until mid-June. Congrats again.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:01 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

You think? lol Of course it "works." The car is a masterpiece.
Adrift (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 08:06 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

And is a “warm foootwell” just normal? Even with nothing running, air wise?

If it's anything like my 981 Spyder the footwell (hell, the entire cabin) gets hot. Period. I always laughed when I heard of guys getting the a/c delete because the car is a rag top. Yeah, a very HOT running rag top. A/C is as necessary as brakes and steering.

Can you tell me about these "toe links" and why you feel you needed/wanted them? What exactly are they?

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 05-07-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:18 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
If it's anything like my 981 Spyder the footwell (hell, the entire cabin) gets hot. Period. I always laughed when I heard of guys getting the a/c delete because the car is a rag top. Yeah, a very HOT running rag top. A/C is as necessary as brakes and steering.

Can you tell me about these "toe links" and why you feel you needed/wanted them? What exactly are they?
@SpyderSenseOC

This is second hand, so if anyone who has actually experienced it thinks I botched the description, feel free to weigh in.

When you brake hard in a gt4 / spyder approaching / entering a corner, and there is pavement irregularity, the car has a tendency to become unsettled and bump steer (ie kick the tail out). The aftermarket toe links allow for more negative camber in the rear tires, correcting the issue. It's really just a track thing, as I understand it, although I guess aggressive street driving might see it. I assume if you maintain this increased negative camber for street driving, it will reduce the life of the tires.

Last edited by Adrift; 05-07-2022 at 08:29 PM.
SpyderSenseOC (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 08:27 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Someone on here had a conrod car and waited something like 2 years, if I’m not mistaken. That person deserves a medal or something.
CONGRATS. Enjoy in good health!

lol that might be me.

Traded old car in early July 2020.
Rejected conrod car April 2021.
Just picked up less than 2 weeks ago.

The longer the wait, the sweeter the reward, I guess.

Definitely enjoying mine.

The following 7 users liked this post by Dyim:
Adrift (05-07-2022), ausgang (05-08-2022), Frank Torres (05-12-2022), Jotaeme_ (05-09-2022), Name (05-08-2022), StilettoPat (05-08-2022), UncleDude (05-07-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-07-2022, 08:28 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dyim

lol that might be me.

Traded old car in early July 2020.
Rejected conrod car April 2021.
Just picked up less than 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:32 PM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Beautiful spec. Congrats man!
Old 05-07-2022, 08:33 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IRM
Beautiful spec. Congrats man!
Thanks, it makes me smile, for sure.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:48 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,499 Likes on 2,253 Posts

How do you like the buckets?
Old 05-07-2022, 09:00 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
How do you like the buckets?
I've had buckets before, so it wasn't like I didn't know what to expect. And I am not sure driving around town in break-in mode is a fair evaluation test. That said:

They are comfortable enough to sit in, but I haven't done a long trip. I have tilts on the risers, so when I raise the seat it will tilt back (intended to help with helmet wearing), and that may help some.

But they are a pain to get into and out of, or to do anything in, besides drive. You are locked into a driving position, with no lateral slop, which is their whole point. For that, they are excellent, even in my increased size aspect. And they look the business.

Would I still spec them? I think so. They aren't a slam dunk of awesomeness in all Use Cases, but I think the benefits still do outweigh the negatives. Getting in and out will always be a PITA, but it proves I ain't feeble yet.

Quick Reply: First day in my python green spyder