Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Feedback on MY23 GT4 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 10:42 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Feedback on MY23 GT4 build

Hi All,

Thanks to the help of a great member on this forum, I was able to score an allocation for a MY23 GT4 with a modest $15k ADM, which I believe isn't too bad in this market. I am currently at V200 with a freeze date in July, build in September, and delivery in late October/early November. Very excited that my hunt for an allocation is over and I am now on the journey towards a build!

Just for some background, my wife and I will be using this car as a weekend toy. I may end up doing some autoX or light track duty depending on how things play out. I've done autoX before in previous cars and really enjoyed it. I have ample garage space and given the fact that ICE sports cars are fading away relatively quickly, I intend to keep this car for quite some time.

I did previously have a 2017 base 718, which I really enjoyed. I did not have the 2-zone auto climate control in that car and it was not an issue, so I skipped that for my GT4 build. Overall, I am pretty happy with where I am at. The biggest thing(s) I am considering adding are some yellow accents in the interior to complement the PCCB (yellow stitching, steering marker, seat belts). May also add sport chrono just for the look of the clock, as the upper dash looks a bit "empty" without it (had it on previous 718 and it looked nice). There is a small part of me that wants to switch to Chalk with satin aurum wheels and black carbon ceramic brakes, but Shark Blue is spectacular in person and I think I would regret not picking it on a fun weekend toy.

https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do...bcode=PPHQ91T6

Porsche build code: PPHQ91T6

Thank you in advance for the feedback! Can't wait to take delivery later this year! Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
evanescent03 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:03 PM
evanescent03
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

You're lucky to get PCCB! i was told i couldn't order them anymore but maybe that was because i was rounding out the my22 cars and they were preserving them for the 4RS?

anyway, build looks good! every option his highly subjective but i think the bold appearance of shark blue with yellow accents is going to be killer! Chalk obviously tones it down a lot but still looks classy. I had a 718S that i thought handled great but hated the motor in the car and how dramaless (despite being smooth) the PDK was. i'm getting the GT4 with buckets and a manual to help the "this is an event" factor while driving it.

enjoy and definitely do at least a couple different tracks with it, that's what it was designed to do!

Originally Posted by rusmani
Hi All,

Thanks to the help of a great member on this forum, I was able to score an allocation for a MY23 GT4 with a modest $15k ADM, which I believe isn't too bad in this market. I am currently at V200 with a freeze date in July, build in September, and delivery in late October/early November. Very excited that my hunt for an allocation is over and I am now on the journey towards a build!

Just for some background, my wife and I will be using this car as a weekend toy. I may end up doing some autoX or light track duty depending on how things play out. I've done autoX before in previous cars and really enjoyed it. I have ample garage space and given the fact that ICE sports cars are fading away relatively quickly, I intend to keep this car for quite some time.

I did previously have a 2017 base 718, which I really enjoyed. I did not have the 2-zone auto climate control in that car and it was not an issue, so I skipped that for my GT4 build. Overall, I am pretty happy with where I am at. The biggest thing(s) I am considering adding are some yellow accents in the interior to complement the PCCB (yellow stitching, steering marker, seat belts). May also add sport chrono just for the look of the clock, as the upper dash looks a bit "empty" without it (had it on previous 718 and it looked nice). There is a small part of me that wants to switch to Chalk with satin aurum wheels and black carbon ceramic brakes, but Shark Blue is spectacular in person and I think I would regret not picking it on a fun weekend toy.

https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do...bcode=PPHQ91T6

Porsche build code: PPHQ91T6

Thank you in advance for the feedback! Can't wait to take delivery later this year! Cheers!
Old 05-05-2022, 11:33 PM
rusmani
Racer

Originally Posted by evanescent03
You're lucky to get PCCB! i was told i couldn't order them anymore but maybe that was because i was rounding out the my22 cars and they were preserving them for the 4RS?

anyway, build looks good! every option his highly subjective but i think the bold appearance of shark blue with yellow accents is going to be killer! Chalk obviously tones it down a lot but still looks classy. I had a 718S that i thought handled great but hated the motor in the car and how dramaless (despite being smooth) the PDK was. i'm getting the GT4 with buckets and a manual to help the "this is an event" factor while driving it.

enjoy and definitely do at least a couple different tracks with it, that's what it was designed to do!
Hopefully PCCB sticks on my build. I haven't heard otherwise from my SA and he has my build. But obviously things are very delicate at the moment and supply chain issues could arise at any times. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Thanks for the feedback on my build! Ideally I'd find a GT4/Spyder with yellow stitching/accents on the interior to make sure I like it, but not sure how feasible that is.

I had PDK on my previous 718, which was great for performance, but wasn't as raw as a manual. Definitely need the 6MT this go around, especially with that amazing 4.0 motor. Hopefully I'll get it out on the track to open it up!
Old 05-05-2022, 11:49 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 295 Posts

Looking good! I also did the satin black rear PORSCHE emblem but I regretted it. Hard to see the lettering unless you're a few feet away.
rusmani (05-06-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:57 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,722 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by skafia
Looking good! I also did the satin black rear PORSCHE emblem but I regretted it. Hard to see the lettering unless you're a few feet away.
That’s exactly why you get it in satin…to not see it.

Do you really need 3 feet of chrome P O R S C H E on the back…IMHO no.

Delete the designation also.

The following 5 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Dr.Bill (05-06-2022), JP4931 (05-06-2022), rusmani (05-06-2022), supercup (05-06-2022), Zee Germanz (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 12:03 AM
Rasputin.
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
That’s exactly why you get it in satin…to not see it.

Do you really need 3 feet of chrome P O R S C H E on the back…IMHO no.

Delete the designation also.

Depends on exterior color. Satin black Porsche looks great on everything but black and green in my opinion. It will look great on shark blue or chalk.

@rusmani congrats on the allocation, buddy!

also, not a fan of model designation delete.
rusmani (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 12:18 AM
rusmani
Racer

Originally Posted by Rasputin.
Depends on exterior color. Satin black Porsche looks great on everything but black and green in my opinion. It will look great on shark blue or chalk.

@rusmani congrats on the allocation, buddy!

also, not a fan of model designation delete.
@Rasputin. thank you! Very exciting to finally have an allocation. Had to pay some ADM to make it happen, but I don't think I paid too much given the market.

Personally, I like the look of the satin black "PORSCHE", especially on a bright color like Shark. I contemplated the model designation delete, but it just feels like something is missing without it. Obviously just my opinion and there is certainly no right or wrong with subtle aesthetics like this.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:15 AM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

So that's focused "enthusiast build" it seems? Judging by buckets and carbon ceramics.

"Quite some time"? How long? I'd ditch PCCB due to the replacement cost. Also would ditch LEDs. Base lights (upgrade the bulb/ballasts) or the PDLS HIDs. Replacement LED assemblies are ~$2700 ea vs. ~$1250 for PDLS HID IIRC.

I'd add:

1. Painted headlight cleaning covers.
2. Chrono.
3. With buckets I'd consider red seat belts to add some flair to the interior.

But nice config overall.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:11 AM
rusmani
Racer

Originally Posted by unclemat
So that's focused "enthusiast build" it seems? Judging by buckets and carbon ceramics.

"Quite some time"? How long? I'd ditch PCCB due to the replacement cost. Also would ditch LEDs. Base lights (upgrade the bulb/ballasts) or the PDLS HIDs. Replacement LED assemblies are ~$2700 ea vs. ~$1250 for PDLS HID IIRC.

I'd add:

1. Painted headlight cleaning covers.
2. Chrono.
3. With buckets I'd consider red seat belts to add some flair to the interior.

But nice config overall.
Yep, definitely more of an enthusiast build. It will just be a weekend/track toy and never serve as a DD. My wife and I recently drove a GT4 with buckets and both of us found them to be very comfortable.

I'd expect we keep this car for several years (10-15) and maybe longer. Garage space won't really be an issue, and given that cars of this nature are a dying breed, I probably won't have any real incentive to sell.

Thanks for your feedback on the build. I will probably add the sport chrono and some combo of colored stitching/steering wheel marker/seatbelts to make the interior stand our a bit more.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:19 AM
ragerard
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

I think there's another thread on this, but I'd reconsider the two zone climate control. I skipped it in my first GT4 build and, frankly, it looks goofy without it. No temp readings, just up or down, etc. In my second GT4--literally in the Zuffhausen paint shop today--I definitely opted for it. As for color, we're up to 5 chalk P cars and don't regret a single one. Love the cool colors, but since I keep my cars for a long time, I thought I might get tired of them. Chalk never gets old. Just hope it gets added to the GT4RS palette so I don't have to cough up PTS.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:43 AM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 143 Posts

That's a nice build! Everything is personal, (obviously!), but if you haven't, I would recommend considering the steering wheel and shift **** in black leather rather than the Race-Tex, since it's a no cost option and those are two high-touch wear points.
rusmani (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 12:00 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by rusmani
Yep, definitely more of an enthusiast build. It will just be a weekend/track toy and never serve as a DD. My wife and I recently drove a GT4 with buckets and both of us found them to be very comfortable.

I'd expect we keep this car for several years (10-15) and maybe longer. Garage space won't really be an issue, and given that cars of this nature are a dying breed, I probably won't have any real incentive to sell.

Thanks for your feedback on the build. I will probably add the sport chrono and some combo of colored stitching/steering wheel marker/seatbelts to make the interior stand our a bit more.
Yeah, steering wheel marker for sure. I also would agree with dual zone commented by others.

And re LEDs, maybe it is obvious but you can replace bulbs/ballast on PDLS, but there is no replacing LED bulbs on PDLS+. Whole assembly must come out. And if aged, it's virtually certain you'll have to replace both so they match.

Plus non-LED HIDs are blacker/meaner looking.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:14 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 888 Posts

My Spyder build just locked with the PCCBs for a late July delivery. I'm waiting to see if it gets dropped from the build but so far so good.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:15 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

It might not matter to you and you may already know, but just to be sure:

If you are interested in using the Track Precision app you'll need Sport Chrono and Nav/Porsche Connect. The app was recently rewritten and may be more useful now. An interesting trivia item is that the nav system will change over to faster 10hz updates when using the Track Precision app.

Also, if you'd like to use SoloStorm for capturing your autocross runs, it can interface via WiFi with the car telemetry through Porsche Connect and it will provide things like steering angle, throttle position, and brake pressure; things not available through many of the OBD dongles. But again, you need Sport Chrono and Nav/Car Connect (they are a package) for that to work.

I love having PCCBs given that I don't plan on heavy track use. I am doing a fair amount of autocross and sporting Hill Country drives instead. So wear, life, and cost isn't a big concern for me. At least I don't deal with that dang dust like I did with my 911s. And again assuming no heavy track use, you don't have to replace the rotors/pads as frequently as steels so that makes up part of the eventual cost IF you keep the car long enough and put on enough miles to need new rotors.

rusmani (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 12:24 PM
rusmani
Racer

Originally Posted by MaddMike
My Spyder build just locked with the PCCBs for a late July delivery. I'm waiting to see if it gets dropped from the build but so far so good.
Nice! Hoping you don't encounter any issues with the PCCBs on your build. That is one option I definitely want to have!

Quick Reply: Feedback on MY23 GT4 build