Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Manual Transmission Gear Indicator is Blank

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 10:20 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
exactly and you have to train your feet accordingly or you risk stalling the car if you come off the clutch too quickly and don't get on the gas by the momentary hill hold ...

Some of the most infuriating driving in my Spyder was stalling the car on a hill because of that damn hill hold feature that doesn't release soon enough for my tastes. It really takes a bit of a launch to override it and there are times I want to accelerate a bit more gingerly than that. End result is a stall. Sucks being the old dude in the badass car who just freaking stalled it for everyone to enjoy. With time I got good at it but it wasn't without its embarrassing and sometimes frantic teeth cutting.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (03-18-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 10:26 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
So the in dash Gear Indicator is Blank when the car is stopped, then shows 1st gear once the car reaches about 4mph. This is an issue as it disables the hill hold feature.

How does your Manual Transmission Gear Indicator work? If you put the transmission in first gear, while stopped does the gear indicator show a 1, or is it blank until you start moving?

Many thanks.
Not 718 specific, but it was the same in my '14 991.1 S.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:45 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Some of the most infuriating driving in my Spyder was stalling the car on a hill because of that damn hill hold feature that doesn't release soon enough for my tastes. It really takes a bit of a launch to override it and there are times I want to accelerate a bit more gingerly than that. End result is a stall. Sucks being the old dude in the badass car who just freaking stalled it for everyone to enjoy. With time I got good at it but it wasn't without its embarrassing and sometimes frantic teeth cutting.
That’s the trick…you can’t really launch out of it. You have to let it release which is does on its own at the same time, every time. Eventually I learned to time the clutch/gas to match. After a few embarrassing stalls as well…felt like a teenager learning to drive again 😃
SpyderSenseOC (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 11:16 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
That’s the trick…you can’t really launch out of it. You have to let it release which is does on its own at the same time, every time. Eventually I learned to time the clutch/gas to match. After a few embarrassing stalls as well…felt like a teenager learning to drive again 😃
Yeah, by launch I more meant keeping the RPM's up a bit higher than normal as you let off the clutch. You kind of have to err on the side of caution because too little throttle and you're a dead duck. I hear what you are saying about the timing, though. You do learn the cadence of it.
Larry Cable (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 05:23 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I don’t think so. The hold engages only when the car is stopped on a hill and you have your foot on the brake and the car in neutral (clutch not depressed). It won’t engage if you leave it in gear when you’re stopped. That wouldn’t make sense.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...-holdfunction/
That link says drive off assist only works on manuals when the clutch is depressed and the car is in gear.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
That link says drive off assist only works on manuals when the clutch is depressed and the car is in gear.
it "has" to work like that, as its an automated replacement for what one would do in a manual with a mechanical parking brake; you hold the car on the hill with the parking brake, while you modulate the clutch and accelerator to increase the power and engage the clutch while not stalling the engine, then you release the p-brake as you release the clutch and increase the throttle
Old 03-19-2022, 01:54 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Yeah, by launch I more meant keeping the RPM's up a bit higher than normal as you let off the clutch. You kind of have to err on the side of caution because too little throttle and you're a dead duck. I hear what you are saying about the timing, though. You do learn the cadence of it.
I just put about a constant 25% throttle (estimation in my head) for a continuous 2-3 seconds when I know I’m on a hill and it will engage. Works like a charm.

Last edited by Sharm; 03-19-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:35 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 721 Likes on 356 Posts

(Boxster GTS 4.0) I don't think the "HOLD" function has a "Time" factor. When active, the HOLD function will apply the brakes indefinitely, as in forever, as long as the following conditions are met (from the Owners Manual);
  • Vehicle is stopped
  • Engine is Running
  • Clutch is held down
  • Transmission in 1st gear or Reverse
  • Vehicle on gradient of 5% or more
  • Drivers Door is Closed
So the HOLD function is applying the brakes for me while my feet are on the Clutch (depressed) and the Throttle (not depressed) - (waiting at stop light on a hill). When I want to drive off, I apply throttle and when the clutch is released the HOLD function releases the brakes. It's the release of the clutch from being depressed that releases the HOLD function and brakes.

Is the "Cadence" that you are speaking about the slight system delay from releasing the clutch to the HOLD function releasing the brakes?

What prompted my original question on the Gear Indicator is that the HOLD function in my Boxster GTS 4.0 does not activate as described in the Owners Manual. I follow the procedure listed below from the Owners Manual, and the HOLD function does NOT activate, because the GEAR POSITION is not recognized as the gear selection is being made while the car is stationary.

If I place the transmission into 1st gear while still in motion, so the gear is recognized, when coming to a stop on a hill, press in the clutch and apply the brake, once stopped the HOLD function will activate as it should. This is my issue!! If I slow to a stop on a hill in neutral or 2nd/3rd, etc..., then once stopped, place the transmission into 1st gear, the HOLD function does not activate because the Gear selection is not recognized.

My HOLD Function does not work as stated in the Owners Manual.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:54 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

The GT cars work a little different, so in the case of a GTS time would not be a factor, I recall in my 981 GTS it would hold on a hill indefinitely when I was in neutral and then when I shift it into 1st in preparation but not releasing until the intent to drive off was recognized by the system.

You can test this in the GTS (gear recognition) by putting it into reverse on a hill, it should function the same way as there is no indication of reverse in the display.

For sure on the Spyder it releases after a couple of seconds after being put in gear and taking you foot off of the brake, this is the pause GT owners speak of.

Last edited by Westcoast; 03-19-2022 at 02:55 PM.
Jeff Jones (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 07:33 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
For sure on the Spyder it releases after a couple of seconds after being put in gear and taking you foot off of the brake, this is the pause GT owners speak of.
Totally agree. Spyder or GT4, the brake release on “drive and go” is a timed event and has nothing to do with throttle applied. At least on my car, trying to drive off early is problematic…embarrassing stall 😂

As soon as I stopped trying to power through it, and just paused a second to let the brake release, it’s smooth as butter every time now. Room temperature butter…not that refrigerated toast destroying stuff.
Westcoast (03-19-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 02:30 AM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Totally agree. Spyder or GT4, the brake release on “drive and go” is a timed event and has nothing to do with throttle applied. At least on my car, trying to drive off early is problematic…embarrassing stall 😂

As soon as I stopped trying to power through it, and just paused a second to let the brake release, it’s smooth as butter every time now. Room temperature butter…not that refrigerated toast destroying stuff.
I too have been struggling with the hill assist. My natural instinct when I'm applying throttle and the car is not moving is to release the clutch more and give more gas, but then I end up stalling (or taking off really fast once the assist releases). With the assist active I basically have to rely on muscle memory to find the bite point, wait for the brake to release, then be ready to modulate clutch and gas since once it release the revs can drop quickly if I had released the clutch too much. Agree that being patient and pausing a little helps a lot, but that is quite unintuitive when you are on a steep hill with another car right behind you.

I also wonder if hill assist is kind of flaky in detecting "intention to drive off". It seems like it is the same mechanism as auto releasing the parking brake. I can't figure out why, but sometimes the parking brake does not auto release for me, so I am in the habit of manually releasing it every time I start the car.
Jeff Jones (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 02:38 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bob78h
I too have been struggling with the hill assist. My natural instinct when I'm applying throttle and the car is not moving is to release the clutch more and give more gas, but then I end up stalling (or taking off really fast once the assist releases). With the assist active I basically have to rely on muscle memory to find the bite point, wait for the brake to release, then be ready to modulate clutch and gas since once it release the revs can drop quickly if I had released the clutch too much. Agree that being patient and pausing a little helps a lot, but that is quite unintuitive when you are on a steep hill with another car right behind you.

I also wonder if hill assist is kind of flaky in detecting "intention to drive off". It seems like it is the same mechanism as auto releasing the parking brake. I can't figure out why, but sometimes the parking brake does not auto release for me, so I am in the habit of manually releasing it every time I start the car.
Bob, in what model?
Old 03-20-2022, 12:57 PM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Bob, in what model?
GT4
Old 03-20-2022, 01:06 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

The key to Drive Off Assist is to release the brake followed by a momentary pause…then drive off as normal.

Parking brake won’t release if a door is open or your seat belt is not latched.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:10 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

GT4
On a hill then you should just take your foot off the brake and wait for the release and carry on, you can't rush it.

Oh, and with the intent drive, I find it best to partially engage the clutch, note the release before driving off, again a pause with timing works best, you can't power through it.

Last edited by Westcoast; 03-20-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Gear Indicator is Blank