Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Manual Transmission Gear Indicator is Blank

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 10:43 AM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 721 Likes on 356 Posts
Default Manual Transmission Gear Indicator is Blank

So the in dash Gear Indicator is Blank when the car is stopped, then shows 1st gear once the car reaches about 4mph. This is an issue as it disables the hill hold feature.

How does your Manual Transmission Gear Indicator work? If you put the transmission in first gear, while stopped does the gear indicator show a 1, or is it blank until you start moving?

Many thanks.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:45 AM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

It’s blank until there is wheel speed.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 11:03 AM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

It should be blank in neutral only and should show the gear indicator even if the car is not moving, i am just talking logically and dont have a porsche. it does the same in my vette. This enables you to see that the car is in a gear while its stopped to prevent stalling.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:13 AM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 721 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
It should be blank in neutral only and should show the gear indicator even if the car is not moving, i am just talking logically and dont have a porsche. it does the same in my vette. This enables you to see that the car is in a gear while its stopped to prevent stalling.
I agree that this is how it should work. By not showing the gear with no speed, it is disabling the hill hold function, that requires it to be in first gear in order to work. Thus when I come to a stop on a hill if I was in, say neutral slowing. And then once stopped I place it in first the hill hold function does not work. This does not seem right.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:20 AM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
I agree that this is how it should work. By not showing the gear with no speed, it is disabling the hill hold function, that requires it to be in first gear in order to work. Thus when I come to a stop on a hill if I was in, say neutral slowing. And then once stopped I place it in first the hill hold function does not work. This does not seem right.
That would be an issue then. You need hill assist feature only when car is stopped in a slope.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:26 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

I don’t think so. The hold engages only when the car is stopped on a hill and you have your foot on the brake and the car in neutral (clutch not depressed). It won’t engage if you leave it in gear when you’re stopped. That wouldn’t make sense.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...-holdfunction/

Last edited by Denny Swift; 03-17-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:39 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Here is the Drive Off Assist for GT cars. GT cars don’t have the Hold feature.

Unsure what it is for the GTS.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:31 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Here is the Drive Off Assist for GT cars. GT cars don’t have the Hold feature.

Unsure what it is for the GTS.

What’s the difference between drive-off assistant and hill hold? I was driving yesterday and on a hill in my Spyder and it worked perfectly. I don’t remember if it indicated gear selection. Agree that it doesn’t make sense that it would show gear until moving because you’re either in neutral or the clutch is depressed when at a standstill.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:39 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
What’s the difference between drive-off assistant and hill hold? I was driving yesterday and on a hill in my Spyder and it worked perfectly. I don’t remember if it indicated gear selection. Agree that it doesn’t make sense that it would show gear until moving because you’re either in neutral or the clutch is depressed when at a standstill.
For GT cars Drive Off Assist is the correct technical description. If you say Hill Hold I think we all understand we're talking the same thing.

What GT cars don't have, and lower trims do, is the Hold function -- pushing hard on the brake to initiate Hold.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

pretty much hill hold is a side-effect (IMHO) of the removal of the mechanical hand brake ... if you remember those!
Old 03-17-2022, 03:23 PM
FLCAYMAN
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 128 Posts

Here is info from the Good To Know app for the GTS.

Last edited by FLCAYMAN; 03-17-2022 at 03:34 PM. Reason: photos added
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (03-18-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 06:41 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

Drive off assist confused me for a while in the Spyder because I was treating it like a normal hill hold car.

Here’s what I mean by “normal hill hold”. You stop on a hill and the hill hold takes over. You can take your foot off the brake and as you start to accelerate, the hill hold releases. Pretty natural dance in most modern cars.

Drive off assist is more of a momentary pause than a hold. You stop on a hill and it kicks in. You take your foot off the brake and then wait a second or two and it lets go. I found that by trying to use hill hold dance I was stalling the car. Wrong rhythm. Now I take my foot off the brake, pause until it starts to release, and drive off smoothly. It doesn’t “hold” for you…it just gives you a second to get ready.

I have no idea why they need to work so differently, but they feel very different in my experience.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Drive off assist confused me for a while in the Spyder because I was treating it like a normal hill hold car.

Here’s what I mean by “normal hill hold”. You stop on a hill and the hill hold takes over. You can take your foot off the brake and as you start to accelerate, the hill hold releases. Pretty natural dance in most modern cars.

Drive off assist is more of a momentary pause than a hold. You stop on a hill and it kicks in. You take your foot off the brake and then wait a second or two and it lets go. I found that by trying to use hill hold dance I was stalling the car. Wrong rhythm. Now I take my foot off the brake, pause until it starts to release, and drive off smoothly. It doesn’t “hold” for you…it just gives you a second to get ready.

I have no idea why they need to work so differently, but they feel very different in my experience.
I think "normal hill hold" is usually PDK style transmissions - GT "hill hold" is more for MT cars in my experience - since it effectively "mimics" what you would have done if the car had a "proper" mechanical handbrake ...
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
AlexCeres (03-18-2022), Jeff Jones (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 06:59 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think "normal hill hold" is usually PDK style transmissions - GT "hill hold" is more for MT cars in my experience - since it effectively "mimics" what you would have done if the car had a "proper" mechanical handbrake ...
That distinction would make a lot more sense to me than GT and non-GT cars.

I originally expected the Spyder to let go as soon as I started to apply gas but it holds for the same amount of time regardless in my testing. Now I just wait for it to start to release and it seems happier.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
That distinction would make a lot more sense to me than GT and non-GT cars.

I originally expected the Spyder to let go as soon as I started to apply gas but it holds for the same amount of time regardless in my testing. Now I just wait for it to start to release and it seems happier.
exactly and you have to train your feet accordingly or you risk stalling the car if you come off the clutch too quickly and don't get on the gas by the momentary hill hold ...

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Gear Indicator is Blank