Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Over rev in a gt4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 09:40 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Ya the older I get the less interested I am in buying cars privately. Too many lies I uncover (looked at a m3 for a friend. Never been repaired! all factory paint. uh, why is the entire front end repainted? oh for rock chips!. Then why is the 1/4 panel also painted? oh it was scratched. no, I can tell it has body filler under the paint from a repaired dent that was quite significant as I can see the sand scratches from them finishing it improperly... and she didn't buy that car).

Definitely not interested in buying a car from from a non CPO dealer either; if it was good what's it doing at a kia dealership?

If it's a car that's cheap or I plan to only own for a little bit i'll roll the dice on buying site unseen if it makes sense to do so, but on anything expensive or that is a keeper, it's gotta be a CPO at the dealer that sold that thing new.
Originally Posted by enduro
@Zhao I've found paint work on CPO BMWs before, unsure if Porsche is different. Bought some great cars from individuals. I just don't buy sight unseen period.
FYI

New cars and CPO cars can have a repair paint job as long as it is below a predetermined value.
The following users liked this post:
phefner (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 10:49 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

SPOT-ON @ExMB …was looking at a CPO 981 GT4. They had replaced the front bumper as
part of the CPO.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:30 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,805 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
FYI

New cars and CPO cars can have a repair paint job as long as it is below a predetermined value.
Originally Posted by enduro
@Zhao I've found paint work on CPO BMWs before, unsure if Porsche is different. Bought some great cars from individuals. I just don't buy sight unseen period.
Yes, they definitely can, but your odds of finding say, a unmolested mint mercedes at a mercedes dealer is better than your odds of finding a good mercedes at a dodge dealer or crazy al's used cars. It comes down where are dealers getting their cars from. Audi for example could get cars from lease returns, trade ins on another audi, audi dealer only CPO auctions, dealer auctions, wholesalers, etc. Where does hyundai get it's Audi's from? Dealer auction or a trade in or a wholesaler. Not many people are trading a Audi in at hyundai so most likely that car came from an auction/wholesaler, and if it's at an auction it often got there because a dealer didn't want it, and most likely the same is true with a wholesaler. Why would any dealer not want a good vehicle on thier lot, well, maybe it's too old..... but if it's only a few years odds are good because it has issues.

CPO also costs money to do and can have some **** requirements, like requiring OE tires. Dealers often aren't going to want to put 2g worth of tires on a car that needs 4g in the bodyshop and 3g in the shop. Often better to send that to auction or sell it as non CPO. So you can find junk as CPO cars or cars with long histories, but your odds are much better of it being a good vehicle when it's a CPO.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zhao:
Dan Nagy (03-12-2022), phefner (03-12-2022), Spike Spiegel (03-20-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 12:45 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
I agree… if the car ticks all your other boxes, make an offer based on the (exaggerated on your part) cringe worthy issues.
You are in control of what you would spend on the car.
And yes, with gas and everything else going up, the cooling off period has just begun.
so that’s the type of thing I’m trying to understand. It looks like it was one over rev. Both 2 and 3 recorded the same minutes. Lord knows I’ve missed a shift before and probably will again. Sounds like the 718s only have 3 levels of overshift recording where as the older gt4’s had 6

still more of a gamble than I think I’m comfortable with unfortunately
Old 03-12-2022, 01:22 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
so that’s the type of thing I’m trying to understand. It looks like it was one over rev. Both 2 and 3 recorded the same minutes. Lord knows I’ve missed a shift before and probably will again. Sounds like the 718s only have 3 levels of overshift recording where as the older gt4’s had 6

still more of a gamble than I think I’m comfortable with unfortunately
There are 6 zones. Records ignitions not minutes.

Who pulled the DME data? Selling dealer? I’d take it to an Indy for a PPI and DME pull.
Old 03-12-2022, 01:27 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Wow, tough crowd! I guess I will be keeping my GT4 forever, or just give it away to some kid down the block...
AlexCeres (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 01:37 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
There are 6 zones. Records ignitions not minutes.

Who pulled the DME data? Selling dealer? I’d take it to an Indy for a PPI and DME pull.
I had a Porsche dealer (not the selling dealer) do the ppi and pull the dme. It records ignitions and the last engine time in minutes for that band.

is there a way of confirming 6 zones? If there are then it’s back over the table. My local sm said there were only 3

Last edited by dizzyj; 03-12-2022 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 01:52 AM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

It's very unusual to kill a clutch in 20k miles, right? That seems like a sure sign that someone really beat on the car and didn't care for it at all. I'd be worried about other issues cropping up in the future i.e. parts that have been stressed but not broken yet.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:10 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

Double check, but I think with zone 3 ignitions, the car can be CPO'd if it has been so many operating hours ago.
That data should also be in the DME report. The more recent the event was, the less inclined I'd be to consider the car.

Of course, with 20K miles and over MSRP? Not a chance, even if perfect.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:20 AM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 271 Posts

I sold my 2020 manual Gt4 with 8 range 3 hits, they CPO’d the car and sold it 1 month later. I asked the service manager about over revs, he said range 1-3 is no issue, range 4-6 will be based on how long ago it happened and then Porsche Germany has to approve if they can CPO it or not.

and if you don’t know, the 8 means ignitions, so 1 full rotation of the 6 cylinders plus 2, so like a fraction of a second, which is nothing, as the service manager said.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche444:
AlexCeres (03-12-2022), Spike Spiegel (03-20-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 07:48 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 106 Posts

The minimal range 3 overrevs aren’t a huge concern, especially if they were many hours ago. You can check this by comparing when the over was versus total hours.

The larger concern is why the clutch needs replaced after only 20k miles.
UncleDude (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 09:24 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
is there a way of confirming 6 zones? If there are then it’s back over the table. My local sm said there were only 3
The dealer can take a screenshot of the over-rev report or ideally print out the entire DME report. It will show each zone and record zero if no ignition event.

There are 3 ignitions per revolution, so 440 ignitions is about 147 revolutions beyond 8000 RPM. Probably around a second.

There should be more zone 2 over revs.

Zones 2-6 are mechanical over revs.

I’m pretty sure the last modern Porsche to only have 3 zones was the 996/986 series.

Last edited by TXshaggy; 03-12-2022 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:40 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
The minimal range 3 overrevs aren’t a huge concern, especially if they were many hours ago. You can check this by comparing when the over was versus total hours.

The larger concern is why the clutch needs replaced after only 20k miles.
This is why I would walk away.

Peter
phefner (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 11:43 AM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
This is why I would walk away.

Peter
not really, that’s why it’s a replaceable part, new clutch and you are good. Rest of the car still has what, 3 years warranty bumper to bumper. If you plan to keep longer then 3 years, either get extended warranty or sell it.

it’s good tools to use for bargaining for a good deal.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:44 AM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 249 Posts

Porsche will CPO zones 1-3, its not an issue. Lots of tunes actually raise the RPM limit by a couple of hundred, there is overhead in these engines. It may be something as simple as the cart bumped the limiter on a down hill, doesn't indicate its necessarily a miss shift.

Clutch is a wear item, its doing its job. That wouldn't bother me either.

As the fed dials back QE the likelihood of a hard landing increases, when this car market tanks its going to be quick and a lot of folks will be left underwater. Personally I would not pay over MSRP for a car with 20k miles but that's just me

Quick Reply: Over rev in a gt4?