Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Musicar Stage 2 upgrade from Bose in a Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 03:30 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Musicar Stage 2 upgrade from Bose in a Spyder

I know there is an events section but I've seen other local threads so hopefully this is okay. If not, just delete it. I've had a number of folks that live in the Portland area ask about my Kline exhaust or some other aspect of the Spyder they wanted to see. On Sunday, March 13th, I'll be down in Portland at Musicar having one of their reference upgrades installed. It is now part of an Avants club event where they are offering a facility tour, a closer look at some of their signature projects, etc.

https://www.avants.com/events/2022/2...r-install-tour

If you live in the area, or close by, stop in to say hi. If you are one of the folks curious about some of the upgrades done, I'm happy to let you hear or see whatever you want on the car.

Thanks,
Jeff
The following users liked this post:
mr965 (03-03-2022)

Popular Reply

03-16-2022, 04:05 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

We had the event this past weekend and it was a lot of fun. I ended turning it into a weekend escape with my youngest Son. Avants did a great job creating the TechEd and the Musicar Northwest crew did a fantastic job of hosting and installing the system with a big audience watching them work. I put a full write up of the event on my car journal for anyone interested in more details - https://911maniac.com/2022/03/15/mus...-bye-bye-bose/

Most here are already familiar with these upgrade options but for those that aren't, Musicar offers 3 stages of upgrades for our cars. Stage 1 replaces the tweeters which can make a huge difference by themselves. Stage 2 replaces the tweeters and the underpowered Bose amp. It adds a more powerful amp, a digital signal processor (DSP) and sound deadening to the doors. Stage 3 replaces all of the speakers and uses a different amp appropriate for that setup. Nick and I both felt that for my use case, a convertible where the top is almost always down, Stage 2 would have the best bang for the buck.

The specific components in the Stage 2 kit are:
  • Morel Elate MT350 tweeters. Beautiful soft dome tweeters.
  • Audiotec-Fischer AMP/DSP with 10 channels and a total output of 580w.
  • The built in DSP allows Musicar to fine tune the system for each car and customer.
  • A MOST interface enables the clean integration with the Porsche PCM system.
  • Various sound deadening materials are applied inside the door, on the door and the door panel as well. I view this as a critical part of the kid and really transforms what those Bose speakers are capable of.
  • A custom lightweight mounting bracket for a clean installation.
While the system likely adds about 10-15 lbs of weight, I didn't really care about that. I've got a lightweight battery and honestly, I'm the biggest liability in terms of weight in the car.The installation was really straight forward and took less than two hours. The tweeters drop into the factory locations after removing the oem mounting. This is a somewhat destructive process so a bracket of some sort would be needed to revert back to Bose. The doors come apart easily, and the seat comes out with a few bolts. They needed to remove the 8″ driver in the door to install the sound deadening. They found some mistakes from Porsche (a grommet was not properly installed and some screws were loose), and everything went back together very easily. The AMP/DSP/MOST interface all get installed in the same oem location where the Bose amp lived, neatly tucked away under the passenger seat. It was fun to watch the guys work, and they did an incredible job. They took the time to protect the car and it was cleaner after the install than it was before. Nick has posted more detailed, step-by-step photos of similar install processes on Rennlist here and a Stage 3 install here but here are some photos that I took with many more on my blog.

Fueling up for the trip from Seattle to Portland

All the equipment about to go into the Spyder

Tuning station

Nick explaining the process

Time to install!

Sound deadening going inside the door, on the door and on the door panel. Rattle free deep bass.

Fixing some Porsche mistakes along the way

Thankfully Porsches go back together as well as they come apart.

Bose tweeter

Soft dome for the win, especially in a car where the glass makes things harsh already.

Morel is dropped in

The amp/dsp and the MOST interface packaged up in a custom bracket.

Tucked away neatly, never to be seen again. There is a USB cable for more tuning down the road.

I'm blown away by the transformation from this stage 2 kit. I had high hopes but was somewhat skeptical that it would be transformative...I thought maybe a nice incremental improvement. It's like they swapped the Bose for a totally custom system. So much more detail, better separation/soundstage, tight bass, deep bass and so much more volume. As we took turns in the drivers seat to demo the system, each person had this surprised joyful look on their face. The ROI on this upgrade for a music lover is easy to justify in my opinion. Before I left, Nick was able to create a custom tune for the Spyder so hopefully that helps others that have a Boxster or Spyder and want to go this route.

Sheri (Avants Portland Director) when the bass hit for the first time...an expression we all shared as we took our turns.

I'm just enjoying the music while Nick creates the Spyder tune.

I'm happy to answer any questions that folks have about the Stage 2 upgrade from an owners point of view. @TXshaggy , if it isn't too much trouble, can you update the title of this thread now that I've shifted it from this event to more details on the system? Perhaps "Musicar Stage 2 upgrade from Bose in a Spyder" or something like that. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:09 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Jeff,

Great post. Think we already have TX and CA meet threads that are similar so no problem there.

If you haven’t post same in regional forum for broader exposure.

Enjoy, post up some pics after the event.

Perhaps we should start an Official Wrap Thread.
Jeff Jones (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 09:06 PM
thejholmes
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

What's the reference audio system? Is that stage 3 or something even better?

Old 03-03-2022, 11:00 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thejholmes
What's the reference audio system? Is that stage 3 or something even better?
Just a fancy name for any of the upgrades. I’m going stage 2 unless Nick has some surprises up his sleeves 😂
mr965 (03-04-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 11:19 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Just a fancy name for any of the upgrades. I’m going stage 2 unless Nick has some surprises up his sleeves 😂
you are going to LOVE stage 2......JMHO
The following 2 users liked this post by Big Belly 711:
Jeff Jones (03-03-2022), mr965 (03-04-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 04:05 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

We had the event this past weekend and it was a lot of fun. I ended turning it into a weekend escape with my youngest Son. Avants did a great job creating the TechEd and the Musicar Northwest crew did a fantastic job of hosting and installing the system with a big audience watching them work. I put a full write up of the event on my car journal for anyone interested in more details - https://911maniac.com/2022/03/15/mus...-bye-bye-bose/

Most here are already familiar with these upgrade options but for those that aren't, Musicar offers 3 stages of upgrades for our cars. Stage 1 replaces the tweeters which can make a huge difference by themselves. Stage 2 replaces the tweeters and the underpowered Bose amp. It adds a more powerful amp, a digital signal processor (DSP) and sound deadening to the doors. Stage 3 replaces all of the speakers and uses a different amp appropriate for that setup. Nick and I both felt that for my use case, a convertible where the top is almost always down, Stage 2 would have the best bang for the buck.

The specific components in the Stage 2 kit are:
  • Morel Elate MT350 tweeters. Beautiful soft dome tweeters.
  • Audiotec-Fischer AMP/DSP with 10 channels and a total output of 580w.
  • The built in DSP allows Musicar to fine tune the system for each car and customer.
  • A MOST interface enables the clean integration with the Porsche PCM system.
  • Various sound deadening materials are applied inside the door, on the door and the door panel as well. I view this as a critical part of the kid and really transforms what those Bose speakers are capable of.
  • A custom lightweight mounting bracket for a clean installation.
While the system likely adds about 10-15 lbs of weight, I didn't really care about that. I've got a lightweight battery and honestly, I'm the biggest liability in terms of weight in the car.The installation was really straight forward and took less than two hours. The tweeters drop into the factory locations after removing the oem mounting. This is a somewhat destructive process so a bracket of some sort would be needed to revert back to Bose. The doors come apart easily, and the seat comes out with a few bolts. They needed to remove the 8″ driver in the door to install the sound deadening. They found some mistakes from Porsche (a grommet was not properly installed and some screws were loose), and everything went back together very easily. The AMP/DSP/MOST interface all get installed in the same oem location where the Bose amp lived, neatly tucked away under the passenger seat. It was fun to watch the guys work, and they did an incredible job. They took the time to protect the car and it was cleaner after the install than it was before. Nick has posted more detailed, step-by-step photos of similar install processes on Rennlist here and a Stage 3 install here but here are some photos that I took with many more on my blog.

Fueling up for the trip from Seattle to Portland

All the equipment about to go into the Spyder

Tuning station

Nick explaining the process

Time to install!

Sound deadening going inside the door, on the door and on the door panel. Rattle free deep bass.

Thankfully Porsches go back together as well as they come apart.

Bose tweeter

Soft dome for the win, especially in a car where the glass makes things harsh already.

Morel is dropped in

The amp/dsp and the MOST interface packaged up in a custom bracket.

Tucked away neatly, never to be seen again. There is a USB cable for more tuning down the road.

I'm blown away by the transformation from this stage 2 kit. I had high hopes but was somewhat skeptical that it would be transformative...I thought maybe a nice incremental improvement. It's like they swapped the Bose for a totally custom system. So much more detail, better separation/soundstage, tight bass, deep bass and so much more volume. As we took turns in the drivers seat to demo the system, each person had this surprised joyful look on their face. The ROI on this upgrade for a music lover is easy to justify in my opinion. Before I left, Nick was able to create a custom tune for the Spyder so hopefully that helps others that have a Boxster or Spyder and want to go this route.

Sheri (Avants Portland Director) when the bass hit for the first time...an expression we all shared as we took our turns.

I'm just enjoying the music while Nick creates the Spyder tune.

I'm happy to answer any questions that folks have about the Stage 2 upgrade from an owners point of view. @TXshaggy , if it isn't too much trouble, can you update the title of this thread now that I've shifted it from this event to more details on the system? Perhaps "Musicar Stage 2 upgrade from Bose in a Spyder" or something like that. Thanks.

Last edited by Jeff Jones; 03-17-2022 at 02:55 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
4S Leistung (03-17-2022), Dan Nagy (03-17-2022), IRM (03-17-2022), nothingman (03-17-2022), Paiceyfan (03-16-2022), slilley (03-17-2022), Spike Spiegel (03-19-2022), TripleL (03-17-2022), TRSCobra (11-27-2023), Visceral (03-17-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-17-2022, 01:04 AM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Awesome report, thanks very much for sharing. Exciting to hear you notice so much change going from BOSE to stage 2 Musicar. I can't wait to receive and install my stage 3... going from basic standard equipment! (not even BOSE in my car).
Jeff Jones (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 01:09 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Great thread; title change updated per request.
Jeff Jones (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 02:05 AM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Jeff for sharing your journey. Was nice to meet you.

And I will second Jeff's comment: everyone who sat in the car had a big $#!+ eating grin on their face when Nick turned volume up to 11.

Good stuff. Hope you had a great ride home.

Jeff Jones (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 02:45 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Great thread; title change updated per request.
Thanks for the help!
Old 03-17-2022, 02:46 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andover Bill
Thanks Jeff for sharing your journey. Was nice to meet you.

And I will second Jeff's comment: everyone who sat in the car had a big $#!+ eating grin on their face when Nick turned volume up to 11.

Good stuff. Hope you had a great ride home.
Thanks, great to meet you as well. My son slept the whole ride home so I got to enjoy the stereo and not his iPad 😃
Old 03-17-2022, 03:10 AM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by Andover Bill
…turned volume up to 11.
Lol. I just watched that the other day. Classic.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:54 AM
nothingman
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 93 Posts

Very nice! I'm looking forward to my Stage 2 Musicar upgrade whenever it gets shipped. Can you expand a little on what they fixed Porsche got wrong in case the rest of us want to follow suit? Also, is that the stock Bose woofer and midrange in the door?
Old 03-17-2022, 12:43 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nothingman
Very nice! I'm looking forward to my Stage 2 Musicar upgrade whenever it gets shipped. Can you expand a little on what they fixed Porsche got wrong in case the rest of us want to follow suit? Also, is that the stock Bose woofer and midrange in the door?
You are going to love it. Yes, Stage 2 leaves the stock Bose speakers in the door and I didn’t upgrade them. With more power, the dsp and sound deadening, it’s amazing how much better they sound. In terms of speakers, the tweeters are really the weakest point.

There were two main issues they fixed. On my drivers side door, the grommet where the cable comes out of the door looked to be missing. It had actually fallen into the door cavity somehow. They fixed that for me. They also went through every screw on the door and door panel and tightened them up. Many were loose and could lead to rattling.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:56 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

This is the specific spot for the missing grommet but I don’t expect this will be a common problem for others:

Quick Reply: Musicar Stage 2 upgrade from Bose in a Spyder