Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

motortrend review: 2021 BGTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 09:37 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

First bullet point under the pros list is great sounding engine.

stop right there. Lost all credibility on anything that is subsequently written.
The following users liked this post:
sonicworld (02-09-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 09:38 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
All true, but Motortrend's criticism was: "It's the damping that surprised me; it doesn't soak up midcorner bumps as well as I expected, and it feels a little skittery at high speeds. Porsches are usually more locked down, and as a result, I couldn't carry as much speed through fast, bumpy sweepers as I could in lesser cars. I was 8 mph faster in the Subaru [BRZ]." In other words, the damping was too stiff for the roads they were driving on. The GT4 damping is even stiffer than GTS. On crappy roads, you can carry more speed in a GTS than a GT4/Spyder.
I doubt that’s true but I wouldn’t say with any certainty without seeing an actual road test.

The GT3 front clip is bound to be faster than the 718 clip regardless of the dampening being stiffer. And the GT4 is more than just a different front clip.

I also own a GT3 and can’t imagine a more compliant 911 GTS being faster on a crappy road.

Now if the argument is that the driver didn’t feel as comfortable pushing the GT4/GT3 is due to the road conditions and punishment it would surely produce, that would make more sense.
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Rasputin.
I suspect that even if the cars were the same price, there would be some people who would still opt for the GTS (not many, but some). The softer suspension and lack of rear wing are enough to convince some to get into a GTS as is, without the 20k difference. The front of the GT4 is money though
Not a wing fan either. That's why I have a Spyder. Not trying to break any lap records.
dmboone25 (02-09-2022)
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
All true, but Motortrend's criticism was: "It's the damping that surprised me; it doesn't soak up midcorner bumps as well as I expected, and it feels a little skittery at high speeds. Porsches are usually more locked down, and as a result, I couldn't carry as much speed through fast, bumpy sweepers as I could in lesser cars. I was 8 mph faster in the Subaru." In other words, the damping was too stiff for the roads they were driving on. The GT4 damping is even stiffer than GTS. On crappy roads, you can carry more speed in a GTS than a GT4/Spyder.

That in itself though is a little disappointing, considering the price of entry. The crazy thing to me is that most reviews say the opposite. I watched over 30 YouTube videos on the GT4 before my allocation came avail. and 99.9% of them raved about the handling and how composed it was. Come to find out, that ONLY applied to a smooth surface, which most place on the road and in the US are not.

The most honest and true review I got about the GT4 and its deficiencies was from Randy Pobst in a private chat session on his members only YouTube channel. Now that I have a high-end MCS suspension on it, the limitations of the car are simply the fact that it is a small short wheelbase and track width car with a strut suspension on all 4 corners made for slower canyon driving.

Unfortunately it seems you have to move to the 911 for a true Porsche experience and that is just beyond my means, so back to the lonely GM brand for me. It may not carry the clout and prestige of Porsche , but you can not deny GM has suspension and chassis tuning down pat on their performance offerings.

Last edited by TRZ06; 02-08-2022 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:46 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
That in itself though is a little disappointing, considering the price of entry. The crazy thing to me is that most reviews say the opposite. I watched over 30 YouTube videos on the GT4 before my allocation came avail. and 99.9% of them raved about the handling and how composed it was. Come to find out, that ONLY applied to a smooth surface, which most place on the road and in the US are not.

The most honest and true review I got about the GT4 and its deficiencies was from Randy Pobst in a private chat session on his members only YouTube channel. Now that I have a high-end MCS suspension on it, the limitations of the car are simply the fact that it is a small short wheelbase and track width car with a strut suspension on all 4 corners made for slower canyon driving.

Unfortunately it seems you have to move to the 911 for a true Porsche experience and that is just beyond my means, so back to the lonely GM brand for me. It may not carry the clout and prestige of Porsche , but you can not deny GM has suspension and chassis tuning down pat on their performance offerings.
The GT4 is really meant to be the “fun” GT car in Porsche’s lineup. Great backroad/canyon car that you can also track and it puts down some impressive lap times as well.

Also owning a GT3, I can say that it is the go-to for serious track use but ever since owning the GT4, I find myself grabbing the keys for it over the GT3 9/10 when it comes to a quick spirited drive around some local roads.

The following 6 users liked this post by phow:
964C4 (03-17-2022), AlexCeres (02-09-2022), dichael (02-08-2022), Jim Rockford (02-08-2022), MechEngr1287 (02-09-2022), tigerhonaker (02-10-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-08-2022, 10:15 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
I doubt that’s true but I wouldn’t say with any certainty without seeing an actual road test.

The GT3 front clip is bound to be faster than the 718 clip regardless of the dampening being stiffer. And the GT4 is more than just a different front clip.

I also own a GT3 and can’t imagine a more compliant 911 GTS being faster on a crappy road.

Now if the argument is that the driver didn’t feel as comfortable pushing the GT4/GT3 is due to the road conditions and punishment it would surely produce, that would make more sense.
On equal tires and equal drivers, for a 991.2 GTS vs 991.2 GT3 on crappy bumpy/cracked/potholed curves, my bet would be on the GTS being quicker through the curve. Never mind ride comfort, stiff suspensions just don't maintain contact with bumpy roads as well. Stiff suspensions over bumpy roads unsettle the car, and make pressure over tire contact patches less consistent. You'd be losing and regaining grip a lot more when at the edge of traction, and also note that kinetic friction is less than static friction. This difference in losing and regaining grip won't be noticeable until you're above 70-80% of the tire's grip limits where the fluctuations in forces at tire contact patch can momentarily take you beyond the limits of tire grip.

The advantages of the 911 GT3 over 911 GTS are more in the sound, the precise and tactile feel of the steering, the solid feel of the brakes, the sharp engine response, reliability under extended track use, aero, weight, agility, ability to achieve more track friendly alignments (that also help grip on good surfaces), and also power to weight if you're staying at the top of the rev range. Tire differences (and 992 double wishbone front) aside, grip over crappy bumpy surfaces is more consistent (allowing you to hold higher speed) with a somewhat softer suspension.

Now of course, when you go too soft to the point where the car bounces around or leans excessively, then performance gets worse even over crappy roads. However, the Porsche GT2/3/4 suspension tuning is more optimal for grip on track and decent roads, while the S/GTS suspension setups are more optimal for grip on bad roads.
AlexCeres (02-09-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 10:30 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
The GT4 is really meant to be the “fun” GT car in Porsche’s lineup. Great backroad/canyon car that you can also track and it puts down some impressive lap times as well.

Also owning a GT3, I can say that it is the go-to for serious track use but ever since owning the GT4, I find myself grabbing the keys for it over the GT3 9/10 when it comes to a quick spirited drive around some local roads.

You hit the nail on the head, but nobody says that in their reviews of the GT4 unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, the GT4 is amazing (well now it is anyways with MCS dampers on it) especially in the smooth road stuff and is much better than my 1LE was, but its limitation is rough pavement. I happen to live in an area where all my local/daily roads are crap, so that is what I experience regularly in the GT4. I get outside of my local area though and the roads are better, the GT4 shines much more.

The things that the MCS suspension made better from the stock PASM is less compression so the ride isn't like a pogo stick and better/tigher rebound control, which keeps the rear-end more settled when upset mid corner. I think the stock PASM GT4 set-up was set with too much compression and not enough rebound/underdamped

I think the C8 Z06 will be a better dual purpose daily sports car for me as I do have to deal with crap roads. And to be honest , any sports car equipped with MRC will be the better dual purpose sports car.

Last edited by TRZ06; 02-08-2022 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:18 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
You hit the nail on the head, but nobody says that in their reviews of the GT4 unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, the GT4 is amazing (well now it is with MCS dampers on it) especially in the smooth road stuff and is much better than my 1LE was, but its limitation is rough pavement. I happen to live in an area where all my local/daily roads are crap, so that is what I experience regularly in the GT4. I get outside of my local area though and the roads are better, the GT4 shines much more.

I think the C8 Z06 will be a better dual purpose daily sports car for me as I do have to deal with crap roads.
That sounds accurate to me. The Spyder suspension does appear to be a bit softer damped than the GT4 version from what I hear, though I haven't driven a GT4 to compare myself. I'm pretty happy with my Spyder suspension overall, it deals with most bumps I encounter pretty well given its sharpness and agility, and Waterloo region roads are far from great. To me, the slight trade offs in how well the car handles mid-corner bumps are worth the improved handling and feel it brings in general. However, when it comes to maintaining grip and composure through severe mid corner cracks/bumps/potholes, my old 987.1 base Boxster (a car much sloppier than my Spyder in general) was a bit better, as is my Mercedes-Benz CL550 (a 4500+ lb land yacht), and the Taycan 4S I rented last year beats them all when it comes to composure and grip through bumps.

You do seem more critical of the GT4 suspension than most on this forum. I'm not sure if your local roads are unusually bad, you have really high expectations for chassis composure and grip through crap roads, or something was wrong with your PASM dampers. Your Camaro suspension was much softer than any Porsche GT car, and of course the quick response of the magnetorheological also helps to quickly tame the chassis movements despite its general softness. A C8 Z06 is wider and longer than a GT4, and probably a bit softer damped too, though it would be considerably stiffer than your Camaro was (especially if you get Z07), and would still get more upset over bad bumps than your Camaro would. When it comes to maintaining composure and grip over really crap roads, big soft-riding luxury-performance EVs (like the Taycan or Mercedes EQS 53 or Lucid Air) are king. There's a trade-off between composure on bad roads and sharpness/agility/composure on good roads as you firm up the suspension, but lowering the centre of gravity the way an EV does improves both.
RedCarrot (02-13-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 12:07 AM
GTS-Jim
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
This review is pure click bait.

At the end of the article:

“As features editor Christian Seabaugh said, "Other than the noted 'complaints,' it's an excellent car. Well balanced, poised, and easy to drive fast and find your limit. The steering is sharp and direct, and the brakes are pretty good."
CONS
  • Doesn't handle as well as expected
I don't know what they expected but Motor Trend doesn't review cars as well as I expected.
Oh wait, maybe they do which is why I don't read Motor Trend.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTS-Jim:
AlexCeres (02-09-2022), Dan Nagy (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 01:55 AM
Cpt Voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 37 Posts

I am not a huge MT fan. IMO, Lieberman is a bit of a blowhard. That said, the nature of this sort of comparison article is to be overly critical of the contestants until settling on the final two. They were also critical of the M4 and others.

Love my GTS.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:09 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Not a wing fan either. That's why I have a Spyder. Not trying to break any lap records.
Completely agree - the Spyder is one of the best looking cars I've ever seen in person, and if you've ever been to a Dallas "Cars & Coffee" at Classic BMW (well, at least before they stopped having it there!), there's some pretty exotic stuff in the area.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:53 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I'll take the other side. This forum places a huge amount of emphasis on the gt4 as "the best". Which really only applies to track work, or some extremely serious canyon efforts. The gts 4.0 has a lot more daily comforts, and the difference in suspension performance for most lawful driving off-track is just not that large. The gt4 isn't especially great on rough roads. That's the compromise for more track performance. Same conversation on the 911 side. Folks all wrapped up in the "the best" and then whine incessantly on how the new cars are too stiff and fidgety on their local roads.

The gts deserves more respect.
The following 11 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
Alpha Ice (02-13-2022), Cpt Voodoo (02-10-2022), D1coach (02-12-2022), dichael (02-09-2022), flynlo (02-11-2022), minn19 (02-09-2022), PaulHig (02-10-2022), radiospares (02-10-2022), Rasputin. (02-09-2022), UncleDude (02-09-2022), wizee (02-09-2022) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-09-2022, 11:21 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,805 Likes on 986 Posts

^ I don't think that's true. Plenty of GT4 owners on this forum recommend the GTS over the GT4 for all the logical reasons you just listed when people ask which one to get. I think we're also pretty grounded on how 'slow' our cars are on the track.

I think this place is surprisingly free of fanboys who think the GT4 is the best thing ever. Now I do agree the 911 world is a bit more wrapped up in 911 < 911 S < GTS < Turbo < Turbo S which I find weird because I'd have more interest in a C2S than any of the models above it except a GT3.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:07 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
^ I don't think that's true. Plenty of GT4 owners on this forum recommend the GTS over the GT4 for all the logical reasons you just listed when people ask which one to get. I think we're also pretty grounded on how 'slow' our cars are on the track.

I think this place is surprisingly free of fanboys who think the GT4 is the best thing ever. Now I do agree the 911 world is a bit more wrapped up in 911 < 911 S < GTS < Turbo < Turbo S which I find weird because I'd have more interest in a C2S than any of the models above it except a GT3.
i guess we have different memories of this forum :-)

ironically the 911 -> 911 TTS continuum is less challenging. There are no trade offs other than money. Each step is better than the previous without any sacrifices. The gts4.0 vs gt4 is more complex, as is the bgts vs Spyder. There are trade offs. The gts is a significantly better daily and a significantly worse track car than a gt4. The tts is better at everything than a C2S.

I was thinking of the folks who HAVE to have a gt3 for dailying and can’t stoop to a tts. Which is really weird. The gt3 is right for a small number of folks, just like the gt4 is the right daily for a small number of folks. But most people asking the question are too wrapped up with “best” and not “right for me”
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
Dan Nagy (02-10-2022), minn19 (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 12:43 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
i guess we have different memories of this forum :-)

ironically the 911 -> 911 TTS continuum is less challenging. There are no trade offs other than money. Each step is better than the previous without any sacrifices. The gts4.0 vs gt4 is more complex, as is the bgts vs Spyder. There are trade offs. The gts is a significantly better daily and a significantly worse track car than a gt4. The tts is better at everything than a C2S.

I was thinking of the folks who HAVE to have a gt3 for dailying and can’t stoop to a tts. Which is really weird. The gt3 is right for a small number of folks, just like the gt4 is the right daily for a small number of folks. But most people asking the question are too wrapped up with “best” and not “right for me”
Between a GT3 and Turbo, there’s a choice between an amazing sounding, sharp, and high revving engine, and a comparatively dull sounding and responding engine that has massive torque and power (that’s mostly useless on the street). Thus, I can see someone choosing a GT3 over a Turbo for daily use on crap roads and city streets just because of the engine sound and response.

For GTS vs GT4/Spyder, it’s same engine (tune differences being negligible), just differences in street friendliness vs. chassis sharpness and track friendliness. Well that and looks too, I like the GT4/Spyder styling better than the GTS.

Quick Reply: motortrend review: 2021 BGTS 4.0