Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 01:40 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 369 Posts

Was ready to pull trigger on a 981 Spyder and got everything lined up when the dealer finally pulled the DME report at the last minute and it showed over-revs in range 3-5 consistent with a missed shift and I backed out of it. It was a hoot to drive, sounded great but also seemed less serious compared to the 718 Spyder I then hunted down.

The 718 Spyder does not sound as rowdy/farty/burbly as the 981 but EVERYTHING else is better, it has immense torque all over the rev range, handles incredibly even on the street, has proper GT suspension, and auto-blip that you can turn on-off unlike 981 when it was in one of the sport chrono modes only (sport+ if I recall). The engine sound has since grown on me and honestly I cringe when I now hear the contrived pops/burbles of the 981 even though they are fun from inside the car.

If you just got the 981 I wouldn't jump on a trade to a 718 because you will be left feeling you didn't have a chance to enjoy the 981 Spyder long enough. It is a lot of fun and I would consider getting out of your system before going to the 718 which is altogether a more serious performer. I am in love with my 718 Spyder and it is my daily driver, I have grown to really appreciate the engine performance and sound and it handles beautifully even with all-weather 980A/S+ tires. Fits like a glove, and stunning looks.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (02-07-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 10:28 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
Was ready to pull trigger on a 981 Spyder and got everything lined up when the dealer finally pulled the DME report at the last minute and it showed over-revs in range 3-5 consistent with a missed shift and I backed out of it. It was a hoot to drive, sounded great but also seemed less serious compared to the 718 Spyder I then hunted down.

The 718 Spyder does not sound as rowdy/farty/burbly as the 981 but EVERYTHING else is better, it has immense torque all over the rev range, handles incredibly even on the street, has proper GT suspension, and auto-blip that you can turn on-off unlike 981 when it was in one of the sport chrono modes only (sport+ if I recall). The engine sound has since grown on me and honestly I cringe when I now hear the contrived pops/burbles of the 981 even though they are fun from inside the car.

If you just got the 981 I wouldn't jump on a trade to a 718 because you will be left feeling you didn't have a chance to enjoy the 981 Spyder long enough. It is a lot of fun and I would consider getting out of your system before going to the 718 which is altogether a more serious performer. I am in love with my 718 Spyder and it is my daily driver, I have grown to really appreciate the engine performance and sound and it handles beautifully even with all-weather 980A/S+ tires. Fits like a glove, and stunning looks.
I would like the option of turning off the autoblip in sport plus. I do have six month delivery so I have plenty of time to play with the 981. The hard part is not spending money on modding it as that is money lost (it always is but in this case it is almost immediately).

I did find the worst for sale add in the world for a 718 Spyder in the same color palate as my car. It is for sale locally to me so I'll see if the owner lets me check it out. No buckets, which I really wanted to try and I wish it was Shark Blue so I could see that color in person on something other than a VW.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1288731

Quick Reply: Spyder Dilemma