Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 11:24 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts
Default Spyder Dilemma

Thinking out loud here so bear with me.

I used to have 997s and then had a baby. I sold my last 997 and bought a manual Golf R to get four doors. I never gelled with that car and sold it after less than a year to buy a Giulia Quadrifoglio. That car was amazing and I kept it for four years (which is a long time for me). It had "teething" problems the first year but after that it was amazing and reliable. But, with today's market I could get my money back that I paid for it so I did. I really wanted to get back into a manual and I had looked at Spyders back in 2016 but couldn't afford one then. Now, I started looking at Spyders again and quickly decided I wanted a 718 Spyder. Of course, calling around, I ended up on a bunch of wait lists and I was pretty sure I would not be getting one.

I then found a CPO 981 Spyder (on Rennlist), very well optioned with 18 ways, Burmester, backup camera, classic Spyder interior, and extended leather etc. No buckets or PCCBs but besides that, a pretty much perfect build. I flew across the country and drove it home 1,200 miles for some great bonding time. Amazing car and I'm in love. Stock exhaust sounds amazing and the car just feels right.

I had owned it for one month when my SA called me and said that I was bumped to the top of the list as the other buyers were brokers or not local and that I could place me order. Damn! This dealer is MSRP so I went ahead and placed an order. I have never ordered a new Porsche before so I spent way too much time obsessing over details and changed colors three times. However, I have six months till it gets here. My dealer has asked for the first right of refusal if I decide I want to flip the car. In other words, they will essentially pay me to not take the car. They can't guarantee what they will give me on my 981 as that is so far out, they don't know what the market will do but they said it will probably be a few K under MSRP (I paid $2k under MSRP). So, if I trade it when I pick up the 718, I may be out of pocket $5k-$8k or so which I can live with.

However, the more I drive the 981, the more I like it. It is not as aggressive looking as the 718 but I think it is a bit more classic looking and may actually age better. I like the headlights better on the 718 (LEDs) and the front. However, there is less plastic on the 981 and I think the rear looks better with the center exhaust, no plastic panel across the back, painted flying brake etc. Interiors are almost identical except the 718 vent pods sit on top of the dash instead of being integrated. I think the 981 Spyder has aged well and while it doesn't look as modern, it is a bit more classically beautiful IMO.

I have not driven a 718 Spyder but I know every Porsche generation is a little better and the fact that the 718 was built by the GT department with better suspension and that 4.0 with a higher redline. Obviously, there are none around to test drive but I will keep looking. I also like being able to choose all my specs and own a car since new (981 had 12k miles when I bought it). I have been trying not to modify my 981 as that is just money thrown away. However, I did install a Softronic tune which brings the power up to the stock 718 power and really woke the car up.

The 981 has no issues: no gear grinding, no clutch slipping, and a dead-reliable engine that also served me well in my 997s. The 718s are selling at a premium right now, but I assume in a year or two, when the market settles down, they will hold their value pretty well but never be as rare as the 981 Spyder. As built, my 718 MSRP is about $25k more than the 981, not crazy money but still significant.

I guess I have time to think about it and thankfully, I have a Spyder to drive while I wait for my Spyder. Posing a similar question to 981 owners, most say the 981 is the better car. I expect 718 owners to say that 718s are better BUT it is still fun to discuss. What else to do while I wait for my build?

Here is some dealer pics of the 981 and my build code for the 718.

My 718:Shark, blue, Buckets, CF, Plat: $135,370

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNJZ84Z9

Old 02-05-2022, 11:52 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 827 Likes on 380 Posts

Both great cars.

The new one is significantly faster and torquier but doesn’t shift or sound as nice.

Keep both for a short period and decide which you prefer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jamie140:
JAhmed (02-06-2022), MaddMike (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 12:59 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 320 Posts

I had a similar opportunity and decided to 18 months for the GT tuned suspension. I'm thrilled with how supple it is on the street and how much stiffer it is than the 981 S on the track.
Then as an added bonus, you've got an 8k redline on the 982.
Tough call though, the 981 Spyder sounds better out of the box than its successor.
You'll enjoy it either way.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 01:10 AM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

Newer is always better
MaddMike (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 01:51 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

I think the 718 fixes a lot of the minor issues with the 981. The square vents look weird, sport chrono was in a odd spot (looks like it's missing on yours so bonus there imo), bumpers aren't very aggressive looking for what the car should be. I find the 981 tail lights/spoiler styling weird. The 718 spyder can be considered on par with a GT car, but does anyone think that of the 981 spyder? 8000rpm is cooler than 7500rpm. New car with full warranty vs old car off warranty. or CPO?

I actually think the headlights are better on the 981 though for looks. It sounds better stock. It's debatable which engine is better and only time will tell there. I also like your 981 build a lot. GT silver, classic interior, all the right options on it people will say to get, all that extra leather that is tough to stomach the price for what you get. That's the perfect used car to luck out finding IMO.

I personally think the 718 spyder will be the one that is worth more in the future because of it's more aggressive looks and more legit GT pedigree but I think long term you will lose more money on the 718. You have 35k in options on it and the initial bath on depreciation on the 981 was already absorbed by the original owner. High option builds almost never recoup their option costs.

Dunno, that's a hard choice. I don't think the 981 is the better car at all, but you have one of the better 981's on the planet IMO.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:50 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

In my personal opinion 718 Spyder will hold its value better than 981 Spyder in the long term (assuming the engine will hold up as well as 981) as it is built fully by the GT department and other than lacking a fixed roof and a spoiler it is identical to the GT4.

As previously mentioned the depreciation has mostly been factored in on the 981 as you have bought it used but the next gen is rumored to be a hybrid and quite possibly the next Spyder will also be hybrid which will cause the value of these cars to go up.

You were able to select your own options in your new build which is fantastic. You’ve checked a lot of the expensive options in your build and that would explain some of the difference in MSRP between your current 981 and future 718.

Personally I prefer the look of 718 over 981, it looks more complete and refined. Sound is easily fixed with only an OAP, throw on a valve controller on top and it is pretty awesome.

Either way, you will be fine. Good luck with the choice!
The following 2 users liked this post by sin911:
Larry Cable (02-06-2022), Zhao (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 07:32 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

if you can, get the 718. Newer isn’t always better, but in time, the 718 is 6 years newer, less maintenance the first years any way.
Yes, suspension is much better, but Billstein B16 would improve some on the 981.

jm2c (having 981-stage 2 and 718-stage 2)
Old 02-06-2022, 09:34 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Although I have owned Porsches, I have owned neither of THESE Porsches (yet), so these are just musings from living on this board for the last 6 months.

You are definitely in the cat-bird seat, having a spyder while you wait for a spyder. Kudos on that.

What I didn't see in your description is what you WANT from the car. It's hard to know which car fits better without knowing what you want out of it.

Looks: Sounds like you like the 981 better. Done and done.
Engine: Can't weigh in on this, yet; some seem to feel the 9A2 Evo is meatier, others the 981 engine is possibly more reliable (and as good as the Evo).
Sound: 981 obvious winner here, but addressable with $$$, if it is important.
Handling: Are you tracking? Either way, it sounds like the 718 is superior...GT suspension more subtle on roads, but more adept on the track. I have seen a YT'er say he liked the 981's road handling better, so YMMV (personal preference).
Reliability: You have the reported issues for the 718 you mention, but I have no idea how ubiquitous they are. The 718 will be much newer and have a nice full factory warranty along with it. And you don't have to worry what the owner before you might have done. What does JD Power say?
Resale: You don't specify short or long term here. Is this a keeper? Apparently not, if you are already trading it. Buying a new car is rarely a WISE decision, monetarily. It is an emotional decision. Which will hold value (increase?) over the mid to long term better? While there may be fewer 981s, it isn't like they sold a lot of 718s. The 718 has the bigger, newer engine and has that gold plated GT pedigree the 981 can't claim. IMO, that will mean a LOT for long term resale. It's the kind of thing Porsche buyers prize. Plus this is very likely the last totally ICE spyder; another attribute that will be huge with P-car buyers, as the hybrids (?) and EVs move in. It is THE swan song mid-engined convertible, and I would guess that will be worth it's weight in gold.

I don't think you can make a bad decision, just possibly a less good one; again, depending on what you want.

Last edited by Adrift; 02-06-2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:58 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Good feedback all around. By the way, I have not decided on the 981, the opposite is true. I have decided on the 718 but whenever I drive my current Spyder, I realize what a special car it is.

As far as depreciation goes, there is none to be had on the 981. They were trading close to MSRP before the pandemic and now are back at or above MSRP.

As far as the comments about doing a cheaper build, that would totally defeat the point of building a car to my specs. Put it this way, my current car car is highly loaded and still goes for MSRP. But, I'm not buying a car for it's depreciation, it is merely a consideration as it ties in to the total cost of ownership. Ordering a car with exactly the options I want is the point of buying new.

As far as which will be more collectable who knows. I'm a driver, not a collector. But the limited numbers of the 981 Spyder will keep it's price high (800 for North America). As far as the swan song, I sort of buy that but there will always be people who say the last version was the swan song going back to air-cooled. There are those saying that now about the 981 without all the emissions crap.

Either way, I'm fortunate to be able to drive an amazing car while I wait for another amazing car. I tried to find comparisons between the two cars but they are few and far between and the winner tends to be inconclusive or slightly leaning in one direction or the other.

By the way, all 981 Spyders have Sport Chrono, which is more integrated than the 718 and you don't have the wart.

Last edited by MaddMike; 02-07-2022 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:18 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
…I tried to find comparisons between the two cars but they are few and far between and the winner tends to be inconclusive or slightly leaving in one direction or the other...
And you must report back here once you can!

You’re sort of lucky and unlucky at the same time as you’ll be sure to have a “Sophie’s Choice” on which one to let go.

MaddMike (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 11:33 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
And you must report back here once you can!

You’re sort of lucky and unlucky at the same time as you’ll be sure to have a “Sophie’s Choice” on which one to let go.
I think the issue with the comparisons I have found is that it is two owners and they both tend to prefer their car. I do wish there was less plastic on the 718 but I get that it is more GT and not going for the classic look which I feel is what the 981 was going for. On the 981, a lot of that plastic was either painted from the factory or was an option to paint. The intake vents and lower mirrors were an option in gloss black while the front spoiler and flying brake light are painted body color. Then the canards (I know it doesn't have canards but you know what area I'm referring to) on the 718 are plastic which I know is for air flow and painted they would probably get pretty beat up. Don't forget the plastic between the tail lights which is trying to tie in with the design language of the 911 but is just part of the body on the 981.

I know I will prefer the 718--if nothing more than a placebo as I spent $25k more . Speed wise, the manuals are neck and neck. The 718 comes in PDK which is faster but not an option for me. The Nuburgring times are faster in the 718 but that was a PDK car in Cup 2 instead of a manual in Pirellis so the 12 second improvement is a wash.

Also the classic look of the 981 goes great in GT silver with the Classic Spyder interior (which is how I originally speced my 718). But the more aggressiveness of the 718 I think is better in a louder color (Shark Blue) with the full GT treatment with PCCBs and buckets.

Ride comfort wise, I hope the 718 is an improvement. The 981 is a bit bouncy but reviews are mixed on ride quality. Maybe the PCCBs will help improve that.

Last edited by MaddMike; 02-06-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:43 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

The 993 as the swan song of air cooled was HUGE for value / desirability.

The swan song of ICE will be way bigger than the air-water distinction. Assuming we are allowed to buy gas in 5-10 years. lol
Old 02-06-2022, 03:41 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Plus this is very likely the last totally ICE spyder; another attribute that will be huge with P-car buyers, as the hybrids (?) and EVs move in. It is THE swan song mid-engined convertible, and I would guess that will be worth it's weight in gold.
True, can always look at the watercooled era to see what will potentially happen with the EV switch and resale on the ICE engines. 993 vs 964 vs 996. 993s are expensive now and were always expensive; most people think is the best looking/best everything of the aircooled cars. 964s while my preference were actually fairly cheap at one time and are still cheaper than 993s. 996s = blarg. Although I always have liked the 996 turbo styling and those seem stable for value so I think other's agree it looks good enough and is a decent enough car you can overlook the lights... but to find a 993 turbo cheaper than a 996 turbo it would probably need be designed by mcdonalds and have hit a tree.

Last edited by Zhao; 02-06-2022 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:42 PM
Mtnbkrlts
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for posting your 981 Spyder build sheet. Gotta love that Porsche price inflation from one generation to the next! Wow.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:59 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mtnbkrlts
Thanks for posting your 981 Spyder build sheet. Gotta love that Porsche price inflation from one generation to the next! Wow.
Well, actually the Burmester got cheaper but I think it included nav and now nav is separate.

GT Silver is also no longer a special color so two options are cheaper with the 718.

Last edited by MaddMike; 02-06-2022 at 08:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Spyder Dilemma