Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

gts or gt4 allocation

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 02:27 PM
re-amemiya7
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gts or gt4 allocation

Dear forum members:
I am located in southern California and looking to buy my first mid-engine Porsche sports car. Since the used car value went up so high, I decided to buy a new car and I want to either get a GTS 4.0 or GT4. I called around my local dealers and they are asking for 10-20K markup on GTS and 25K markup on GT4. I understand getting a GT4 without markup is almost impossible, but I expect to get a GTS allocation without markup. Back in 2019, the 718 GTS can be sold at around 10% off the sticker price although it was 2.5. I can wait for couple months until the market cool down but is there any suggestion if I can possibly get the GTS without markup or GT4 with significantly less over the sticker price? In my local Porsche dealer, they are getting the same allocation on the GTS and GT4, and significantly more allocation on GT3.
I am not very familiar with the waitlist but I already sent my build code and DL to one of the local Porsche dealer. For me, the waitlist didn't make much sense because even there is a new allocation coming, the dealer can still sell the allocation for the much higher mark-up to the public. So what is the point of waitlist? In order to get a higher chance, should I call the dealer in snowy states? I knew someone who ordered the 992 GTS and Macan GTS without markup and get a GT3 allocation with $40K extra.
The following 2 users liked this post by re-amemiya7:
bpeacock (06-09-2022), sharmat (02-05-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 03:36 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 369 Likes on 256 Posts

wait list is just that - you buy a spot on the list waiting for an allocation. at this time it is the only way to do it. for most dealers it is not a contract per say - you can remove yourself at any time and get your deposit back. i have 2 local dealers and one about 2 hours away. none have fewer than 6 people on their gt4 wait list currently and they are charging $2,000-$5,000 for a wait list spot. don't expect any dealer to give a brand new, never bought one before customer any deals. those are saved for the repeat customers.

expect to pay over MSRP when demand is greater than supply, and that is where you are now. that's why used prices are so high - no new inventory to buy. you are going after the top 2 levels of cayman available today, so bend over and get ready to pay for that premium.

good luck.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:53 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Based on one interpretation of what he wrote it’s possible that the original poster thinks this situation will pass if he waits until the market cools down in a few months. Forgive me for speaking for many, but I don’t think any of us who have gone through the process of getting an allocation and a car believe things will return to normal until the end of calendar year 2022 at the earliest. Some have said that all remaining production for MY 2022 is sold out for certain cars.

The ADMs and used car prices are insane because the market is quite insane. It will return to normal, and maybe surprisingly quickly, but no one expects it anytime soon.

On the ADM question, there are some dealers in my region that have a policy of never charging an ADM on a used car. But that’s the southeast and not California. Having said that, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if some dealers that had that policy a year ago have abandoned it now. There’s just too big a delta between MSRP and market value.

Last edited by sanderabernathy; 01-06-2022 at 03:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sanderabernathy:
Alpha Ice (01-08-2022), Leader (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 06:22 PM
muiz
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Might be a while before the market cools off, and being in California doesn't help either. I would say it is best to either wait or maybe keep calling around different dealerships in your state, maybe even out of state. I spend my time between Texas and California and last time I was at Porsche Austin they said they were not giving markup for GTS models but they were giving 15k+ markup for GT4's. It was at least a couple of months ago though and Porsche is pretty stingy with allocations for their sports cars; my local dealership (biggest in NorCal) only got 1 GT4 for the recent round of allocations.

Good luck though, good things come to those who wait . Honestly the 981 GTS is also a good choice if you want something sooner and don't want to wait.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:37 PM
adsingl
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Some dealers will do an allocation with no deposit and sell for MSRP, but I expect when you're in this line, you could well get bumped if a repeat customer wants the same model. If you're serious, I'd call and try to find a dealer that will. Problem is, many dealers also prefer to favor those local to them. But it's free to ask. And I agree with what's written in posts above. Some dealers who said they'd sell at msrp have come off of that position from posts we've seen here. But unless you want to wait until next year for sure, Id get in line. There seems to be a little more motion in the last 2-3 weeks, but there's enough of us in line for an allocation here I expect it's pretty doubtful one will drop in out of the blue, especially w/o a significant ADM. I expect when one does come up unexpectedly, somebody walked from an allocation, so the dealer is now going to make as much as possible.

ADS
The following users liked this post:
JCZ5 (01-13-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 01:05 PM
Thefullsend
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Shoot me a PM if you're willing to do a Cayman GTS.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:17 PM
md4dna
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by re-amemiya7
I am located in southern California and looking to buy my first mid-engine Porsche sports car.
If you are close enough to be considered local (very crucial), I suggest trying Porsche San Diego. I was a first timer as well, CGTS 4.0 order placed in May '21, allocation in mid-July, build in November, delivery on Dec 30. No deposit and I paid MSRP. They did bump me up on the list when three others went for PTS option. I had a surprisingly good experience, considering how crazy things may get with other dealerships. Message me if you are in San Diego area, I do not mind contacting you with my SA. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:59 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Nice name fellow RX7 guy.

Snowy states won't have allocations sitting around either. Winter doesn't really factor in for getting an allocation as if we get an allocation wiht a winter date we don't pass on it, we take delivery in snow IMO.

There is no chance waiting a few months will result in anything different happening except having less of a chance at a new GTS or GT4. Best to put your name on lists asap if you want one and at as many dealers as possible. At some point soon production will end. This will happen long before Porsche says they stopped selling it (I dont know about the states but in Canada the 991.2 gt3 was showing on Porsche's website a year+ after they stopped giving allocations for it).

Comparing a 2.5L GTS to a 4.0 is apples to oranges too. They couldn't give the 2.5 GTS away and there are people who got likely got 25g off one (or so I've read). The 4.0 GTS is highly desirable and would be in great demand regardless of covid shortages. If you can get one for MSRP i'd call that a deal right now. I think you could wait until production ends and never get a deal better than MSRP on one.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:33 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I know of a 2021 CGTS 4.0 with 5K miles that will be available from reputable P dealership in Philly. They are asking 128,990. If you have any interest, PM and I'll connect you. I do not receive any commission - just helping you all find cars. These go quickly in this area and my SA gave me a heads-up.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:17 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 945 Posts

Waiting a few months will have no positive effects. That will be spring time, and that is when the sports car market starts to heat up.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:08 PM
rdubs23
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need some luck or relationships on your side to get a GTS/GT4 allocation anywhere in Southern California, and I'd imagine either at MSRP will be near impossible. Try Porsche Albuquerque, they had the least markup and shortest list for GT4 when I was looking around and were open to out of state customers (some dealerships are not).

Echoing the comments that waiting longer is only going to exacerbate the issue.

Last edited by rdubs23; 01-11-2022 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:39 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,903 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Is someone talking about waiting? Why?

Waiting only gets more clients ahead on the list instead of you.

My dealer isn’t even taking any more list requests.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-12-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 11:12 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Is someone talking about waiting? Why?

Waiting only gets more clients ahead on the list instead of you.

My dealer isn’t even taking any more list requests.
Prob cuz they're new to the Porsche buying 'experience' during covid (or in general). If you asked me 5-10 years ago how you buy a new GT3 I would be like oh you probably just walk in to the local dealer and pick out one on the lot and offer 7-10% off asking and settle on 5-7%. Maybe wait a few weeks for a different color to show up or if you want a good deal wait until a model is about to change. And while I would have been an idiot for thinking that on a GT3, it actually wouldn't of been too far from reality on a normal 911.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
AlexCeres (01-12-2022), DFW01TT (01-12-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 05:42 PM
re-amemiya7
7th Gear

I find one at out-of states and put down the deposit to buy the spot. My cousin lives in that states, so I used his address to get in the quene. Still small chance to get the car but I will wait to see.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:45 PM
re-amemiya7
7th Gear

Originally Posted by md4dna
If you are close enough to be considered local (very crucial), I suggest trying Porsche San Diego. I was a first timer as well, CGTS 4.0 order placed in May '21, allocation in mid-July, build in November, delivery on Dec 30. No deposit and I paid MSRP. They did bump me up on the list when three others went for PTS option. I had a surprisingly good experience, considering how crazy things may get with other dealerships. Message me if you are in San Diego area, I do not mind contacting you with my SA. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. My friend also purchased her CPO 718 there. Will call them!

Quick Reply: gts or gt4 allocation