Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Lock date approaching (well...30 days lol) and internal PCCB debate raging

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 07:57 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Aside from this not being all that common, particularly for folks not in snowy climates, do you get down on your hands and knees and look at the inner barrels of your wheels on a regular basis?

IMO worrying about this is like worrying about scratches on the under carriage of your car.
It's more common than you'd think. I have two of my four that are scored. My friend with a GT4 + PCCBs has it as well. I would say any of the cars with that limited clearance will have this happen if you're doing spirited drives. Tires get hot and sticky, gravel gets picked up and bounced around the wheel well, it's inevitable it ends up in the wheel barrel.

It's just part of it though. The wheels get sandblasted, they get scratched/scored. It's part of any big brake kit setup with minimal clearance.

I always clean the barrels and a few times per year pull the wheels and throw them on the wheel stand for deep cleaning.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:19 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Aside from this not being all that common, particularly for folks not in snowy climates, do you get down on your hands and knees and look at the inner barrels of your wheels on a regular basis?

IMO worrying about this is like worrying about scratches on the under carriage of your car.
Out of all the posts on RL, true that there are very few about damage to barrels due to rocks getting caught between the caliper and barrel but I don't necessarily agree with the scoring being hard to see unless you're on your hands and knees. I'm 6ft and I can stand next to the car and see into the wheel barrels. I have platinum wheels so the scoring would turn the damaged area "silver" like in the picture which would be super noticeable and would bug me to no end. Maybe with PCCB, getting silver may work since no brake dust and if there is scoring, the silver barrel will not highlight the silver area with the platinum or black wheel barrel.

To your other point about snowy areas, I don't think that applies across the board because in SoCal, we don't get any snow except in the local mountains but there certainly are a lot of rocks on the road from poorly maintained roads to potholes to rocks coming from the side of hills and other areas.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:35 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,086 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
Nobody seems to mention the damage that small stones do due to the callipers and wheel barrel small gap. Small stones get caught in between the wheel barrel and caliper causing excessive amount of damage.
These pics are from my 981 GT4 when it was only a couple of months old. I'll never get PCCB again.
I have recently started pit crewing for a friend who races his GT2 RS in tarmac rallies and he has had wheel scrapers designed that sweep those small stones clear because he had destroyed enough wheels for a lifetime thanks to this very issue.

Those with a keen eye will also note that those are Surface Transform discs. He keeps the PCCB's as spares.

Granted, his use case is somewhat exceptional. But all it takes is one pebble to trash a wheel rim, and the damage isn't always purely cosmetic either.

Last edited by Reedy; 01-03-2022 at 08:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Reedy:
AlpineR (01-03-2022), James88 (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 09:59 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by AlpineR
@Adrift , great thread and some great info posted throughout.
Thanks; it is tricky to get a meaty thread going on a subject so commonly discussed, although not always productively. I want to thank the people in this thread for good, actionable info.

@Reedy Can you pass along the rock scraper part number, or ask your friend how he had it machined? That sounds like a pretty awesome idea.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:08 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Adrift
Thanks; it is tricky to get a meaty thread going on a subject so commonly discussed, although not always productively. I want to thank the people in this thread for good, actionable info.

@Reedy Can you pass along the rock scraper part number, or ask your friend how he had it machined? That sounds like a pretty awesome idea.
It’s a bespoke part that was made by the workshops fabricator. Don’t have any part numbers but I might be able to wrangle something. I'm not sure how well the GT2RS design will transfer to the GT4 but I think a lot of the parts in the upright are common across GT4/GT3/GT2 RS, so it might not need much work to make it fit.

Last edited by Reedy; 01-03-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:13 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reedy
It’s a bespoke part that was made by the workshops fabricator. Don’t have any part numbers but I might be able to get some more photos so people can make up their own.
More pics or any details would be great! Thanks.

It would seem to be tricky, as you don't want the part rubbing the barrel, but you don't want to leave enough room for a rock or even grit to accumulate.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:37 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

More pics or any details would be great! Thanks.

It would seem to be tricky, as you don't want the part rubbing the barrel, but you don't want to leave enough room for a rock or even grit to accumulate.
Yea it's a fine line, the scraper part is urethane plastic that needs to be replaced occasionally, and it is also specific to the wheels. These scrapers only work with his superforgiata wheels, we need to take them off if he is using the OEM wheels.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:05 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 324 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Rick, thanks for weighing in and answering most of the questions thus far! So I have another, my car has OEM PCCB and I know that you said ST rotors can be swapped directly in place, but what what about the pads? I have the idea to go with ST and save the OEM's for resale.
  • Can the original (slightly used ~12k km) pads be used with the new ST rotors? or...
  • Should new pads be used with the ST rotors and the OEM pads reserved to put back on to the Porsche rotors when going back to OEM?
  • Do you recommend changing out all 4 rotors at the same time?
  • Do any changes have to made to either the hydraulic or electronic systems in the car to use the Surface Transforms?
Thanks!
Currently, several compounds from various manufacturers are being tested to pair with the ST rotors. At the time of this writing, the compounds approved by ST are the Pagid RSC1, RSL29, RSL1, and PFC 11. I am still collecting data and feedback regarding other pad options and should have more info soon.

1) In your case, since you will ultimately be switching back to your OE PCCB discs, I would recommend installing new pads with your STs and doing a fresh bedding procedure. CC Rotors are incredibly hard, so you likely are not going to damage the rotors if you have a pad with scoring or something, but in order for the ST rotors to truly work their best, they like a nice even transfer layer.
2) This is the preferred option, yes.
3) Doing all 4 corners together is recommended. From a performance standpoint, you could get away with only doing 1 axle at a time assuming the pad compounds were similar front and rear (i.e. Pagid), but wouldn't recommend running the OE pad on a PCCB disc with say a Pagid pad on the ST disc at the same time. That also only applies to street use, if you are tracking the car then you would definitely want to swap all 4 at the same time.
4) In some cases longer brake lines will also be supplied along with spacers and longer caliper bolts, such as that of the GT3 380mm Iron to 410mm CCST Rotor upgrade. No changes to the electronic systems are required. The installs are very straightforward, and if you already have PCCBs, then it is just like swapping out the OE rotor.

Hope this helps!

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
The following 2 users liked this post by Hinz Motorsport:
ausgang (01-03-2022), Westcoast (01-04-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 11:37 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
Currently, several compounds from various manufacturers are being tested to pair with the ST rotors. At the time of this writing, the compounds approved by ST are the Pagid RSC1, RSL29, RSL1, and PFC 11. I am still collecting data and feedback regarding other pad options and should have more info soon.

1) In your case, since you will ultimately be switching back to your OE PCCB discs, I would recommend installing new pads with your STs and doing a fresh bedding procedure. CC Rotors are incredibly hard, so you likely are not going to damage the rotors if you have a pad with scoring or something, but in order for the ST rotors to truly work their best, they like a nice even transfer layer.
2) This is the preferred option, yes.
3) Doing all 4 corners together is recommended. From a performance standpoint, you could get away with only doing 1 axle at a time assuming the pad compounds were similar front and rear (i.e. Pagid), but wouldn't recommend running the OE pad on a PCCB disc with say a Pagid pad on the ST disc at the same time. That also only applies to street use, if you are tracking the car then you would definitely want to swap all 4 at the same time.
4) In some cases longer brake lines will also be supplied along with spacers and longer caliper bolts, such as that of the GT3 380mm Iron to 410mm CCST Rotor upgrade. No changes to the electronic systems are required. The installs are very straightforward, and if you already have PCCBs, then it is just like swapping out the OE rotor.

Hope this helps!
@Hinz Motorsport Hey Rick, does that mean my spyder upgrade from 380s to 410s in the front would require longer brake lines?

Also, for the refurb of the rotors, approximately how much life is restored, as compared to a new rotor? (ie how long until another refurb is needed, as compared to from new?)

Thanks so much for all your help! You (and CCST) are my leading candidate at this point.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:37 PM
AlpineR
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
It’s a bespoke part that was made by the workshops fabricator. Don’t have any part numbers but I might be able to wrangle something. I'm not sure how well the GT2RS design will transfer to the GT4 but I think a lot of the parts in the upright are common across GT4/GT3/GT2 RS, so it might not need much work to make it fit.

​​​@Reedy oh no love for the spyder
Old 01-03-2022, 11:39 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlpineR
​​​@Reedy oh no love for the spyder
GT4 and (718) spyder should be exactly the same, right?
Old 01-03-2022, 11:50 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ausgang
Rick,
Thank you for chirping in. I have a question related to your point number 4 copied below:

Would it be practical to swap in/out your system with the factory PCCBs each season as follows: For the ~10 weeks most likely associated with track day use run your CCSTs, and then swap back to stock PCCBs for low dust operation and routine street driving the rest of the year? (Not needing the spacers is also a plus.) I may just call you for a number on this, but do have an estimate of the component costs associated with such a set-up for a GT4. (~$12k USD?)
This certainly would work and there are others who have proposed this as well. Practicality really depends on what you are looking for out of your brakes and how you will be using them. You may find that you don't need to swap back and forth, depending on the compound you use. I understand the resale component of having a nice set of OE PCCBs on the car come selling time. We also know that some want PCCBs for low dust, others for the performance/weight savings, some do it for resale, etc... It is worth mentioning that resale on the ST's could be good as they become more popular, especially when you factor in the ability to refurbish them several times -further increasing their value proposition.
The following users liked this post:
ausgang (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 12:15 AM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

@Hinz Motorsport Hey Rick, does that mean my spyder upgrade from 380s to 410s in the front would require longer brake lines?

Also, for the refurb of the rotors, approximately how much life is restored, as compared to a new rotor? (ie how long until another refurb is needed, as compared to from new?)

Thanks so much for all your help! You (and CCST) are my leading candidate at this point.
I apologize if I didn't mention that earlier, but yes you would also receive new hard lines for the front brakes (essentially the PCCB hard lines). The factory PCCB equipped cars would not require any modifications. As we discussed though, since you want Red calipers I think the "Upgrade" kit is the better option over the "Replacement" kit. If someone wants to chime in who knows what a brand new set of PCCB rotors that were pulled off a car sell for on the used market, then perhaps we can make a better decision from a cost standpoint. That assumes one wants to deal with trying to sell their rotors...

Regarding the refurb life, you should see similar life as compared to a new rotor with a slight decrease after the 2nd and 3rd refurb. Again, many factors at play here but these things will last longer than the OE PCCB rotors before needing a refurb. The continuous fiber design is just so much better than the short/chopped fiber design.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hinz Motorsport:
Adrift (01-04-2022), ausgang (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 02:49 AM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 295 Posts

To me, I got PCCB so that I don't have to clean my wheels. Everything else is a bonus.
The following users liked this post:
AlpineR (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 09:52 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
I apologize if I didn't mention that earlier, but yes you would also receive new hard lines for the front brakes (essentially the PCCB hard lines). The factory PCCB equipped cars would not require any modifications. As we discussed though, since you want Red calipers I think the "Upgrade" kit is the better option over the "Replacement" kit. If someone wants to chime in who knows what a brand new set of PCCB rotors that were pulled off a car sell for on the used market, then perhaps we can make a better decision from a cost standpoint. That assumes one wants to deal with trying to sell their rotors...

Regarding the refurb life, you should see similar life as compared to a new rotor with a slight decrease after the 2nd and 3rd refurb. Again, many factors at play here but these things will last longer than the OE PCCB rotors before needing a refurb. The continuous fiber design is just so much better than the short/chopped fiber design.
I paid $11k for a set of like new take-off PCCB rotors, calipers, pads, etc. )under 1k miles) that went on my 2019 Targa GTS when I had it, and after I sold the Reds that came on my car for $3k the bottom line was if I had ordered the car with them,

Quick Reply: Lock date approaching (well...30 days lol) and internal PCCB debate raging