Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Is the GTS 4.0 the GT3 Touring counterpart to the GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 07:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

No.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:10 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 119 Posts

The closest to a GT4 touring is the 718 Spyder.
The following users liked this post:
Dr.Bill (11-25-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 07:20 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Now that the GTS 4.0 has been out for a while and it has shown to be a wonderful car. I was just wondering about one more model for the the 718 line. I am curious if there would be any interest in a GT4 Touring model?? Porsche has pushed back the BEV Cayman/Boxster for another year and with the extra time on their hands maybe a different high performance model in addition to the Special Edition 4 cylinder models.

My thoughts of a GT4 Touring would be a wingless model GT4 but keeping the bigger GT4 ducktail spoiler and using the front end and splitter from the Spyder. Using the shorter gearing from the GT4RS along with the stock suspension and brakes from the GT4. This is just wishful thinking on my part I’m sure but I think it would be an interesting model that would sell very well. Just my opinion, what do you think?
Pass the pipe.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:49 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Porsche has pushed back the BEV Cayman/Boxster for another year and with the extra time on their hands maybe a different high performance model in addition to the Special Edition 4 cylinder models.
Is this a recent announcement?

I’m aware that they’ve publicly stated the Macan EV has been pushed back a year. In a news release and IPO docs Porsche stated the 718 follow-on EV is in danger of delay since it’s a shared architecture.

In danger of delay is not the same as delayed. If they get the Macan out on new timeline likely 718 EV ok. More Macan delays push out all three EV projects.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:18 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
The closest to a GT4 touring is the 718 Spyder.
Huh? Spyder is likely more hardcore experience than GT4. Touring GT4 is a GT4 with 18 ways and no cage
Now that the GTS 4.0 has been out for a while and it has shown to be a wonderful car. I was just wondering about one more model for the the 718 line. I am curious if there would be any interest in a GT4 Touring model?? Porsche has pushed back the BEV Cayman/Boxster for another year and with the extra time on their hands maybe a different high performance model in addition to the Special Edition 4 cylinder models.

My thoughts of a GT4 Touring would be a wingless model GT4 but keeping the bigger GT4 ducktail spoiler and using the front end and splitter from the Spyder. Using the shorter gearing from the GT4RS along with the stock suspension and brakes from the GT4. This is just wishful thinking on my part I’m sure but I think it would be an interesting model that would sell very well. Just my opinion, what do you think?
At this late stage in lifecycle, I doubt any special 4.0 models would have anything other than cosmetic changes, similar to Boxter 25 edition. Only thing I would think they could do is a GTS "Special" with GT4 SSK (as in Boxter 25) plus minor cosmetic changes such as wheels, striping, bespoke color, plus perhaps a bit more power just below GT4. Typical marketing at end of lifecycle, as 982 is getting old.

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 11-22-2022 at 08:19 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-22-2022, 08:25 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Huh? Spyder is likely more hardcore experience than GT4. Touring GT4 is a GT4 with 18 ways and no cage
No it isn't. A Gt3 touring is a GT3 with no fixed wing and adjusted aerodynamics. A Spyder is a GT4 with no fixed wing and adjusted aerodynamics, but also no top. I don't think lack of top makes it more hardcore than the GT4 and actually makes it more of a street car if anything.

You can order a winged GT3 with 18 ways too, so clearly that is not what Porsche would deem a GT3 a touring. What deems it a touring? Oh right, the lack of a fixed wing.

Last edited by vantage; 11-22-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:36 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
No it isn't. A Gt3 touring is a GT3 with no fixed wing and adjusted aerodynamics. A Spyder is a GT4 with no fixed wing and adjusted aerodynamics, but also no top. I don't think lack of top makes it more hardcore than the GT4 and actually makes it more of a street car if anything.

You can order a winged GT3 with 18 ways too, so clearly that is not what Porsche would deem a GT3 a touring. What deems it a touring? Oh right, the lack of a fixed wing.
Agreed, but from a 'Touring' aspect, the GT4 would be easier to take on a road trip than a Spyder... that was my point in reference to 'Touring', not the wing or lack there of
Old 11-22-2022, 08:39 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

It is always possible. That will let PAG milk the most out of the 982, before the EV.

I won’t put it pass them to squeeze out another model/ trim, limit production, and have Porschephiles drool all over it.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:44 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Agreed, but from a 'Touring' aspect, the GT4 would be easier to take on a road trip than a Spyder... that was my point in reference to 'Touring', not the wing or lack there of
Yeah totally. As someone alluded to above, the GT3 "touring" is a bit of a misnomer. Maybe more appropriately named the GT3 "stealth low downforce" (SLD), but doesn't have same ring to it.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:49 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 449 Posts

I will just say that the GTS4.0/GT4 is one heck of a sports car and occupies a fairly unique space. There are certainly other two seat sports cars out there but are either much heavier and less maneuverable, more hardcore and not as easy to live with, or smaller with much less power and handling.
The following 2 users liked this post by c1pher:
dnimi123 (11-24-2022), HelpMeHelpU (11-24-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 08:53 PM
GentianGentleman
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

The 718 Spyder, is the touring GT4.

It is not for racing, it can be optioned with burmeister, it has a multifunction steering wheel, and it doesnt have a big wing or a big splitter, or a cage..

Old 11-22-2022, 09:29 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
The GT3 Touring has been the aspirational vehicle within the Porsche lineup for me since it's introduction. Given financial and availability realities, that isn't happening for now. I have a GTS 4.0 on order for April delivery, as I see it as a similar type of vehicle. Would it be wrong of me to describe the GTS 4.0 as the GT3 Touring equivalent of the GT4? I realize the GTS is not the equal of the Touring and is not a GT product, and that there is of course an actual 911 GTS slotted below the Touring, but the 4.0 seems to fit the ethos of the Touring more closely than anything Porsche makes in that it is a slightly detuned, de-winged version of the GT product upon which it is based, most importantly sharing the same engine, basically a GT car dialed down to 9 for the street.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on this.

I'd go one step further and suggest that it no longer makes sense for Porsche to refer to the GTS 4.0 as a 718, and that a better name might be the GTS Touring or GT3 Touring.
No.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:26 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
So the car would be PDK only, yes?
For myself, I would prefer the PDK, but I do understand that a great many others would prefer a manual. Porsche offering a GT4 Touring would be wonderful and offering it with shorter gears for PDK and would be tremendous. I know that the GT3 Touring was manual only but since this just me wishing, I can want it to have a PDK with shorter gears. Hell… if they decided to offer a GT4 Touring as a manual only, I would still get the car. But since the latest GT4 had both transmissions, I would hope that a GT4 Touring would be available with both transmissions as well. The shorter geared transmissions would just make it a little bit sweeter.

Last edited by OldJedi; 11-23-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:35 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Is this a recent announcement?

I’m aware that they’ve publicly stated the Macan EV has been pushed back a year. In a news release and IPO docs Porsche stated the 718 follow-on EV is in danger of delay since it’s a shared architecture.

In danger of delay is not the same as delayed. If they get the Macan out on new timeline likely 718 EV ok. More Macan delays push out all three EV projects.
It is my understanding that Macan EV development was ahead of Cayman/Boxster EV development and release. If they delayed production and release of the Macan EV, I certainly don’t see Porsche bringing the Cayman/Boxster EV out before the Macan EV. My impression of the article was that they were both pushed back a year.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:45 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

At this late stage in lifecycle, I doubt any special 4.0 models would have anything other than cosmetic changes, similar to Boxter 25 edition. Only thing I would think they could do is a GTS "Special" with GT4 SSK (as in Boxter 25) plus minor cosmetic changes such as wheels, striping, bespoke color, plus perhaps a bit more power just below GT4. Typical marketing at end of lifecycle, as 982 is getting old.
You might be 100% correct, especially when looking at the recent “Style Edition” turbo four models announced. I might be wrong in thinking that the GT3 Touring came towards the end of the 991 series and that Porsche doing the same with the end of the 982 series would be a nice ICE car before the electric cars take over.

Last edited by OldJedi; 11-23-2022 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the GTS 4.0 the GT3 Touring counterpart to the GT4?