Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

992 GT3 PDK shift knob in PDK GT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 07:46 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

I have some theories:

1. The stitching is the exact same whether it's on Alcantara or leather. It just appears different as an optical illusion. Colors and shades appear different depending on what they're next to.
2. The parts are all made by different companies, in different parts of the world, using different suppliers. Even different batches of dye/thread from the same source might look different.

As far as Arctic grey goes: 991.2 GT3RS comes with platinum grey. I'm usually pretty OCD but I think I can live with the Arctic vs Platinum. I think I'll forget it's even there after a while lol.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:42 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by bob78h
Yes, I noticed this too. The color of the stitching on leather pieces definitely stands out more, although I'm not sure why. I would have been happy to have an option to replace all the Race tex with leather on the GT4.

I believe the RS only has deep sea blue and arctic grey stitching choices, and I don't think the manual shift boot comes on its own. You have to get the **** and boot together, I think that was around $600? So basically doubling the cost of this mod if you want perfectly matching stitching. A more cost effective option might be getting the RS boot restitched at an upholstery shop.
Thanks for the insight regarding RS stitching options . . . wish I were in a position to make the choice between the two colors

Same with respect to the MT shifter/boot ordering . . . not being OCD saved me $600.

With respect to getting the RS boot restitched I can see a whole can of worms opening up with that one . . . how closely could they match the Porsche string in color and sewing pattern???

I am just glad I have silver stitching (not yellow or red), as that would have made things more difficult, if a non-starter for me.

Avera
Old 10-21-2022, 08:57 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I'm usually pretty OCD but I think I can live with the Arctic vs Platinum. I think I'll forget it's even there after a while lol.
@FourT6and2

If it is close I am confident you will never notice it . . . unless you obsess over knowing what nobody else would ever notice.

As pointed out above, the same thread color takes on a different hue according to the contrasting material in which it is sewed.

Now I probably have a bunch of OCD-ers in the forum thinking about changing out all of their alcantara with leather, or vice-versa, so the stitching has matching hues

This evening I went out with a bright flashlight and shined it on my silver interior stitching and arctic grey stitching in my shifter boot. I can tell you under intense light you CAN notice the difference between silver and arctic grey, as to be expected. It is subtle, but apparent under such light. Fortunately, neither I nor anyone I know will ever go out of their way again to compare stitching.

Avera

Old 10-24-2022, 07:12 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 454 Posts
Exclamation

Applied Xpel Stealth, while it may look nice pristine, the surface of this shifter is highly susceptible to scratches with the lightest of touch.

The following users liked this post:
IRM (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 08:08 AM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by NCheok
Applied Xpel Stealth, while it may look nice pristine, the surface of this shifter is highly susceptible to scratches with the lightest of touch.

Nice. What are the elements / devices to the right?
Old 10-24-2022, 11:06 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
@FourT6and2

If it is close I am confident you will never notice it . . . unless you obsess over knowing what nobody else would ever notice.

As pointed out above, the same thread color takes on a different hue according to the contrasting material in which it is sewed.

Now I probably have a bunch of OCD-ers in the forum thinking about changing out all of their alcantara with leather, or vice-versa, so the stitching has matching hues

This evening I went out with a bright flashlight and shined it on my silver interior stitching and arctic grey stitching in my shifter boot. I can tell you under intense light you CAN notice the difference between silver and arctic grey, as to be expected. It is subtle, but apparent under such light. Fortunately, neither I nor anyone I know will ever go out of their way again to compare stitching.

Avera
i think this is a very personal thing.

There’s a thread in these forums about a upgrading Bose tweeters to the Bermiester that are available on some boxster models. Many people in it saying what a massive sound upgrade it is over the Bose tweeters. I did it and I didn’t hear a huge difference, if any difference at all. I think it’s just my ears.

i also bought the 4RS ****. I didn’t want to spend money getting it restitched. I also wanted to install it asap. That said, I did/do see a big difference in stitching color in daylight conditions. I didn’t even think to take a look at night because 95% of my driving is done during the day. So I reluctantly paid to have it restitched.

My wife and I see colors very differently and I suspect that many us is here on RL do too. Best advise I can give with regard to matching stitching color is to buy the **** with arctic grey stitching and if it’s a close enough match to your eye, go ahead and install it. Else have it restitched or order the manual **** and do a boot swap. But don’t order the manual **** before seeing the 4RS **** with your own eyes.

p.s. the upholsterer that I brought the boot to saw a blue hue in the arctic gray stitching. This was outside and we weren’t standing next to a blue car and anything like that.
Avera (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 12:09 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
i think this is a very personal thing.

There’s a thread in these forums about a upgrading Bose tweeters to the Bermiester that are available on some boxster models. Many people in it saying what a massive sound upgrade it is over the Bose tweeters. I did it and I didn’t hear a huge difference, if any difference at all. I think it’s just my ears.

i also bought the 4RS ****. I didn’t want to spend money getting it restitched. I also wanted to install it asap. That said, I did/do see a big difference in stitching color in daylight conditions. I didn’t even think to take a look at night because 95% of my driving is done during the day. So I reluctantly paid to have it restitched.

My wife and I see colors very differently and I suspect that many us is here on RL do too. Best advise I can give with regard to matching stitching color is to buy the **** with arctic grey stitching and if it’s a close enough match to your eye, go ahead and install it. Else have it restitched or order the manual **** and do a boot swap. But don’t order the manual **** before seeing the 4RS **** with your own eyes.

p.s. the upholsterer that I brought the boot to saw a blue hue in the arctic gray stitching. This was outside and we weren’t standing next to a blue car and anything like that.
Yep . . . it is all about what each individual can accept, and I pass no judgement regarding how others enjoy their cars

Avera
Old 10-25-2022, 08:42 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 454 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by IRM
Nice. What are the elements / devices to the right?

T-Design9 Nurburgring Cup Holder & Sharp Air Cleaner
Old 10-29-2022, 01:53 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Default GT4 RS Shifter Update

Aesthetically, the RS shifter is what it is . . . and I do happen to like the ‘looks’ better than the the GT4 PDK shifter

If like me and more interested in the RS functionality, I can attest it represents a great upgrade. I use the shifter to shift 100% of the time (never paddles).

Ergonomics (height, feel, etc) wonderful for anyone who, also like me, retains some MT fanboy in them.

Overall, worth every penny.

Avera
Old 11-08-2022, 10:37 PM
TPG
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Just did mine. I really like it.

The following 4 users liked this post by TPG:
Avera (11-08-2022), rxa82 (09-15-2023), TripleL (11-10-2022), Vinh Nguyen (12-13-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 01:57 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

I forgot to point something out in my prior post

I do not know what options are available when you order an RS from factory and with regard to boot stitching color? I would assume any color you order you interior stitching will be the same color the shifter boot stitching comes equipped? I also do not know what stitching options are available with the RS?

When I ordered my RS shifter there were only two stitching color options with the Race-Tex (alcantara) . . . arctic grey and deep sea blue.

My interior stitching is silver and I ordered my RS shifter with arctic grey stitching. Honestly, I cannot tell any difference between my interior stitching and boot stitching colors. Both are seen side-by-side in my original pic. The pic below is my original pic where I brightened to extent I could without distorting the image. I figured this would emphasize any difference in the two colors. If you can tell a difference you have better eyes than me.

At any rate, not sure if this will help anyone, but those with similar situation now have a comparison. If someone could not sleep at night knowing there is a difference on paper, I suppose they could have the boot restitched. Personally, I had zero concerns beforehand, and even less now

Avera

I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread, but judging by the alignment of your boot stitching, the lock collar on your shifter isn't rotated all the way. It was like this on mine as well. I lifted the boot again and really gripped the collar and turned it more and it clicks harder and the stitching lines up. Might want to give it a try.
Avera (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 08:14 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread, but judging by the alignment of your boot stitching, the lock collar on your shifter isn't rotated all the way. It was like this on mine as well. I lifted the boot again and really gripped the collar and turned it more and it clicks harder and the stitching lines up. Might want to give it a try.
Thank you @FourT6and2

I am not sure what you mean by 'lift the boot?' Is it possible to just grab the collar through the boot and turn it left?

Avera
Old 11-09-2022, 08:49 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

Thank you @FourT6and2

I am not sure what you mean by 'lift the boot?' Is it possible to just grab the collar through the boot and turn it left?

Avera
you’ll likely be able to get a better grip on the collar if you don’t have the boot material between the collar and your hand.
By “lift the boot”, 46&2 (one of my all time favorite songs btw) meant to unclip the boot along its bottom, allowing you to lift it and expose the rotating collar.
The following 2 users liked this post by rubber_ducky:
Avera (11-09-2022), FourT6and2 (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 09:14 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
you’ll likely be able to get a better grip on the collar if you don’t have the boot material between the collar and your hand.
By “lift the boot”, 46&2 (one of my all time favorite songs btw) meant to unclip the boot along its bottom, allowing you to lift it and expose the rotating collar.
Thank you @rubber_ducky

Sorry, I did not install the shifter myself, rather, had my local Indy shop perform install.

So, are you indicating I need to basically uninstall the shifter and boot (including removing surrounding trim parts) to access the collar directly?

If so, for ME, that represents a long climb for a short slide, as the slight turn of the stitching is not anything I ever noticed or bothers me that much now that I know.

However, if a simple matter of grasping the collar through the boot and giving a twist, that would be easy and something I would do.

Thank you in advance

Avera
Old 11-09-2022, 11:38 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Thank you @rubber_ducky

Sorry, I did not install the shifter myself, rather, had my local Indy shop perform install.

So, are you indicating I need to basically uninstall the shifter and boot (including removing surrounding trim parts) to access the collar directly?

If so, for ME, that represents a long climb for a short slide, as the slight turn of the stitching is not anything I ever noticed or bothers me that much now that I know.

However, if a simple matter of grasping the collar through the boot and giving a twist, that would be easy and something I would do.

Thank you in advance

Avera
Well, it's not just because the stitching is off center. It's because your shifter is not actually locked onto the shifter stalk. It's not installed correctly. But if you're cool with it, enjoy.

You don't need to remove any trim. All you gotta do is grasp the edge of the shifter boot frame by putting your fingers under the inside edge of the boot at the top (toward the PCM) and pull up. The boot will unclip. Then you can wiggle the boot forward and up. The boot will come out, leaving the **** in place. Then lift the boot up and over the **** (like turning it inside out). Now you can rotate the collar all the way CW. It will take some force to rotate the collar all the way. But it definitively clicks into place with a snap.

You can try doing it with the boot in place, but you will risk tearing the material.

Or you can leave it the way it is and risk the **** coming off while you drive or the button not engaging the transmission and you'll get locked in/out of gear.

Or you can call the shop who did the install and tell them they didn't do it right. Maybe they'll fix it.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 11-09-2022 at 01:00 PM.
BerlinDaniel (01-24-2024)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 PDK shift knob in PDK GT4