Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Rattle/knocking noise top center dash (Spyder)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 11:47 PM
Litt
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Rattle/knocking noise top center dash (Spyder)

Anyone experience a knocking or lower pitch rattle noise coming from the center back of the dash (close to windshield)? Seems to be coming from behind where the clock is (maybe below speaker grill). Happens at any speed and even small bumps at low speed. I’ve tried pushing on the panels to isolate but it seems to be something underneath the dash. Driving me crazy. Anyone experience this or know how to get a peak inside this dash area?
Old 10-22-2021, 12:46 AM
QWKFLAT6
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 46 Posts

Sounds like a warranty trip to your dealer is in order.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:27 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Litt
Anyone experience a knocking or lower pitch rattle noise coming from the center back of the dash (close to windshield)? Seems to be coming from behind where the clock is (maybe below speaker grill). Happens at any speed and even small bumps at low speed. I’ve tried pushing on the panels to isolate but it seems to be something underneath the dash. Driving me crazy. Anyone experience this or know how to get a peak inside this dash area?
nope...
Old 10-23-2021, 12:00 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

you can pull the sport chrono panel off the dash fairly easy. there are walk-throughs if you google it (look for how to change the colored face and one will show you how to take it out).

Warranty claims for dash noises usually involve fixing the problem and creating 3 new annoying noises. Dashes are rarely designed to take apart and put back together to the same tightness they were before it was disassembled. I would most likely not want someone ripping my entire dash apart trying to find a random noise.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
Litt (10-26-2021), slilley (10-23-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 11:42 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Does it happen with the top down as well? Could it be the hook? It may help isolate the problem though it must be hard to hear open top.
The following users liked this post:
Litt (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 12:15 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

How many miles on it? How long has it been happening?

I have sold cars before for a squeak/rattle so I feel your pain. If you cannot figure it out on your own take it to the dealer since you have nothing to lose. But before you do spend some time online to see if any 718s have a simliiar problem since the dashes are about the same.
The following users liked this post:
Litt (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 05:11 AM
Litt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zhao
you can pull the sport chrono panel off the dash fairly easy. there are walk-throughs if you google it (look for how to change the colored face and one will show you how to take it out).

Warranty claims for dash noises usually involve fixing the problem and creating 3 new annoying noises. Dashes are rarely designed to take apart and put back together to the same tightness they were before it was disassembled. I would most likely not want someone ripping my entire dash apart trying to find a random noise.
I pulled the sport chrono this weekend. Nothing obvious under there and nothing loose. The sound was louder with the panel off. Still hard to isolate exactly where it is coming from but its in that general area. Sounds more like a creaking but even that isn't accurate. Very hard to describe sound....maybe more along the lines of the sound a compressor makes on a fridge when it starts to go out. I can't hear it with engine off but even on smooth road at 2 MPH I can hear it.....does get louder with larger bumps. Maybe windshield against something...

Last edited by Litt; 10-26-2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:12 AM
Litt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sharm
Does it happen with the top down as well? Could it be the hook? It may help isolate the problem though it must be hard to hear open top.

Yes, happens with top down or up. Definitely coming from under dash area. Easy to hear with top up or down.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:13 AM
Litt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
How many miles on it? How long has it been happening?

I have sold cars before for a squeak/rattle so I feel your pain. If you cannot figure it out on your own take it to the dealer since you have nothing to lose. But before you do spend some time online to see if any 718s have a simliiar problem since the dashes are about the same.

5k miles, started about 4k miles. I may just have to take it in....its loud and annoying enough that the car has lost some of its appeal to me while its there. I did some searching online but could do some more. Hard to believe I might be the only one hearing this.

Last edited by Litt; 10-26-2021 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
unlikely if the rattle is coming from under the dash in the area of the sports chrono... hook is nowhere near that ...
Old 10-26-2021, 02:43 PM
appzman
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm have the same rattling noise in my Spyder, started from the day I picked it up. I haven't been able to isolate either. Happening both with top on and off.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:12 AM
Blainerunner
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a rattle in my Cayman GTS 4.0. It's not loud enough to hear with the window down. Only with the windows up. I hear it mostly at speeds under 40 mph. Initially, I thought the key/fob was jiggling in the ignition or that the lever on the left vent was loose. That's the area I hear it. I might take it in later in the month.

I'm babying my engine (still under 1000 miles). So, no revving above 4000. When I'm going over 40mph, I hear the rattle less, and that's not because high revs drown it out (because of babying). It seems like higher speeds quiet the rattle, but I might be projecting.

Last edited by Blainerunner; 11-09-2021 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2023, 03:08 PM
gr8ful4flat6
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone figured out what's causing this noise? I'm having the same rattling noise that @Blainerunner described, I sounds like it's coming from under the dash/ steering column trim area.
Old 04-07-2023, 03:53 PM
hugo993
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

after having studied the problem well, I ended up finding that it comes from the cup holder integrated into the dashboard. the parts vibrate with each other.
I integrated foam inside and since then no more noise.
The following 2 users liked this post by hugo993:
RAGT4P (04-07-2023), santiago660 (04-07-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 02:28 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by Litt
It comes and goes on my Spyder, and it is definitely the Sport Chrono assembly on mine, when it is acting up, I can put some pressure on it and the rattle stops, but as it doesn't rattle all of the time, I have yet to rip anything open to solve...

Quick Reply: Rattle/knocking noise top center dash (Spyder)