Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Rattle/knocking noise top center dash (Spyder)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 04:41 PM
hugo993
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Litt
Anyone experience a knocking or lower pitch rattle noise coming from the center back of the dash (close to windshield)? Seems to be coming from behind where the clock is (maybe below speaker grill). Happens at any speed and even small bumps at low speed. I’ve tried pushing on the panels to isolate but it seems to be something underneath the dash. Driving me crazy. Anyone experience this or know how to get a peak inside this dash area?
Originally Posted by Westcoast
It comes and goes on my Spyder, and it is definitely the Sport Chrono assembly on mine, when it is acting up, I can put some pressure on it and the rattle stops, but as it doesn't rattle all of the time, I have yet to rip anything open to solve...
at first I also thought it was the chrono sport, by pressing it the noise stopped. I then rode as a passenger, taking the time to analyze everything. and since I blocked the cup holder with foam, no more vibration. I had exactly the same vibration with my 981 ... which made me say that it was not an assembly problem but rather a common part with the 718.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:45 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by hugo993
at first I also thought it was the chrono sport, by pressing it the noise stopped. I then rode as a passenger, taking the time to analyze everything. and since I blocked the cup holder with foam, no more vibration. I had exactly the same vibration with my 981 ... which made me say that it was not an assembly problem but rather a common part with the 718.
I have never ridden as a passenger in my own car.

So, which side cup holder and how did you do this, can you share? I rarely/never use these, and it would be nice to banish the rattle...
Old 05-07-2023, 10:40 PM
gochten
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Litt
Anyone experience a knocking or lower pitch rattle noise coming from the center back of the dash (close to windshield)? Seems to be coming from behind where the clock is (maybe below speaker grill). Happens at any speed and even small bumps at low speed. I’ve tried pushing on the panels to isolate but it seems to be something underneath the dash. Driving me crazy. Anyone experience this or know how to get a peak inside this dash area?
Just went search for a dash rattle on my '21 Boxster GTS and came across your post. Ironically I think my started at about the same milage as yours 4K. I have 5K on it now. It seems to be worse when the car is cold and somewhat goes away after diving the car for 20min to 1/2 hr. It's very pronounced in the beginning. This noise drives me a bit crazy. Anyway do you have any updates on your dash noise?
Old 05-08-2023, 02:39 AM
Scrounger
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts

If you take the SC clock trim off, there is a sensor right at the back which is for the AC. It can come off its clips and rattle against the bulkhead.

Also, try opening the glovebox and drive the car and see if the rattle is still there. If it stops, it's the cup holders. Just slam the glove box shut and it will go away. You can take the cup holders out which take about 10 mins.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:59 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrounger
If you take the SC clock trim off, there is a sensor right at the back which is for the AC. It can come off its clips and rattle against the bulkhead.

Also, try opening the glovebox and drive the car and see if the rattle is still there. If it stops, it's the cup holders. Just slam the glove box shut and it will go away. You can take the cup holders out which take about 10 mins.
Interesting, if it comes off the clips can it simply be put back or will it come off again? Maybe additional measures to make sure it stays put?
Old 05-08-2023, 08:51 PM
gochten
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. I'll start with the glove box and go from there. I'll report back.

Quick Reply: Rattle/knocking noise top center dash (Spyder)