Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Musicar Stage 2 Audio Install — 718 GT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 11:44 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
Default IMHO

I picked up my GT4 from Musicar NW and took a 2.5 hour drive to the Ridge Motorsports Park a couple days later. In the past if I wanted to enjoy anything other than the wonderful engine and exhaust sounds I would just use my Bose Quiet Comfort headphones usually reserved for airplane travel.

A little about my past history with sound systems. I wouldn't classify myself as an audiophile but rather someone who enjoys quality sound. Back in the late 70s and early 80s when car stereo was on the upswing I definitely indulged in a few quality systems for the era. I progressed from Blaupunkt and eventually to Nakamichi. More recently I've had Bose and a few Burmester which I thought were great. Currently I was quite satisfied with my Tesla model 3 with the latest upgrade offering "immersive sound" I thought it was one of the better OEM systems I've heard.

When I ordered my GT4 I had been following the developments at Musicar NW and decided to order it without the Bose as I was thinking this car would be primarily my track car with 2.5 hour drives to ORP or Ridge Motorsports Park and if I should desire an upgrade I would take the plunge with them.
I am beyond ecstatic with this stage 2 system. Nick was great to work with and the install is flawless. Now back to my first long drive to the track...I loaded up my Spotify premium and had the volume past 60-70% at highway speeds. The sound is so damn clean with beautiful staging and imaging. I feel its the best I've owned and now need to be concerned about damaging my old senior citizen hearing. I guess I get to relive some youthful music listening again with the long boring drives to the track.

If you're on the fence about this system don't be. It is the best bang for the buck if you're looking to have amazing sound quality to match the amazing car you're driving.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Last edited by mr965; 10-18-2021 at 02:13 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mr965:
DFW01TT (10-18-2021), minn19 (10-18-2021), seefouress (12-01-2021), Zeus993 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:45 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by mslam02
I had a Level 2 + sub from Nick and MusicarNW in my 2010 BMW 335i and it was one of the best systems in a car I have had the pleasure of listening to! I sold it last year for a leased 330i and still miss it!

Nick, for those of us interested in a package from you for a 718 - What system is easier to start specced with, base or Bose? I have yet to spec mine and am between going with a plug and play set-up vs going Burmester

Thanks!
Glad you loved the BMW kit! We've been building those kits since 2008 and really learned a lot about how to make these types of plug-n-play upgrades successful as a remote install.

If you're spec'ing out a new build, I would go for the Sound Package Plus option like this GT4. It saves about $1,000 off the upgrade cost as we don't need the fiber-optic interface. It also saves about $1,000 not optioning Bose so it's a win/win.

Originally Posted by mr965
I picked up my GT4 from Musicar NW and took a 2.5 hour drive to the Ridge Motorsports Park a couple days later. In the past if I wanted to enjoy anything other than the wonderful engine and exhaust sounds I would just use my Bose Quiet Comfort headphones usually reserved for airplane travel.

A little about my past history with sound systems. I wouldn't classify myself as an audiophile but rather someone who enjoys quality sound. Back in the late 70s and early 80s when car stereo was on the upswing I definitely indulged in a few quality systems for the era. I progressed from Blaupunkt and eventually to Nakamichi. More recently I've had Bose and a few Burmester which I thought were great. Currently I was quite satisfied with my Tesla model 3 with the latest upgrade offering "immersive sound" I thought it was one of the better OEM systems I've heard.

When I ordered my GT4 I had been following the developments at Musicar NW and decided to order it without the Bose as I was thinking this car would be primarily my track car with 2.5 hour drives to ORP or Ridge Motorsports Park and if I should desire an upgrade I would take the plunge with them.
I am beyond ecstatic with this stage 2 system. Nick was great to work with and the install is flawless. Now back to my first long drive to the track...I loaded up my Spotify premium and had the volume past 60-70% at highway speeds. The sound is so damn clean with beautiful staging and imaging. I feel its the best I've owned and now need to be concerned about damaging my old senior citizen hearing. I guess I get to relive some youthful music listening again with the long boring drives to the track.

If you're on the fence about this system don't be. It is the best bang for the buck if you're looking to have amazing sound quality to match the amazing car you're driving.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.
Thanks for chining in on this thread! It was really great to install the first production kit into your car and I'm thrilled at how much you're enjoying it! Couldn't have asked for a better review.
The following 2 users liked this post by 12v Nick:
JD911 (10-27-2021), mr965 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 03:07 PM
helothere
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Curious on cars with Bose to what Stage 1 entails to by any chance?
I assume it would consist of replacing the Tweeter units?

for Stage 3, I assume it would include replacing the amp, tweeter and mid (or woofer) on the door?

Old 10-18-2021, 04:44 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by helothere
Curious on cars with Bose to what Stage 1 entails to by any chance?
I assume it would consist of replacing the Tweeter units?

for Stage 3, I assume it would include replacing the amp, tweeter and mid (or woofer) on the door?
Correct!

Stage 1: Tweeters Only — Helps take the harshness off the top end and reveals a bit more resolution in the sound. Not going to satisfy the audiophile itch, but if you just want it to be less annoying to listen to the tweeters can help a whole lot.

Stage One Plus: Tweeters + Sound Damping — Damping the doors, even with factory speakers and factory power, can improve the bass response and cut down on annoying vibrations/rattles. It also helps reject a slight bit of road noise which helps with the overall audio dynamics while driving.

Stage Two: Tweeters, Damping, and DSP Amplifier — This is the setup in this thread.

Stage Three: High-End Three Way System w/ Upgraded Analog DSP Amplifier — Check out this thread for more details on that: Stage 3 Review in 981 GT4

Let me know if you have any questions about the line up!

-Nick
Old 10-19-2021, 03:37 AM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

another thread that i regretted getting the Bose option (after the brake thread), man this forum does show better options for those who wouldn't mind going after market like me
Old 10-19-2021, 05:08 AM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by alwaysdriving
another thread that i regretted getting the Bose option (after the brake thread), man this forum does show better options for those who wouldn't mind going after market like me
lol… I’m in the same boat… or Cayman.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:21 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I added the MC tweeters in my 991.2, and that was easy to do. The kit came with everything I needed to do the upgrade. It was also easily reversible when I sold the car. Love the quality machining of the parts, too.

I am looking forward to Nick’s 718 Bose upgrade.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:47 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Yup, I to am eagerly awaiting to see what the Bose upgrade package looks like.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:50 AM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 306 Posts

I was gonna call you guys today to ask about installation instructions... guess I found them here! W00T!!

UPS shows my Stage 2 is "Out for Delivery" right now. The tough question will be: do I tear into the car immediately after work? Or wait until the weekend........
Old 10-19-2021, 12:22 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts

would stage 1+ be worth it for a burmester car?
Old 10-19-2021, 01:38 PM
helothere
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Correct!

Stage 1: Tweeters Only — Helps take the harshness off the top end and reveals a bit more resolution in the sound. Not going to satisfy the audiophile itch, but if you just want it to be less annoying to listen to the tweeters can help a whole lot.

Stage One Plus: Tweeters + Sound Damping — Damping the doors, even with factory speakers and factory power, can improve the bass response and cut down on annoying vibrations/rattles. It also helps reject a slight bit of road noise which helps with the overall audio dynamics while driving.

Stage Two: Tweeters, Damping, and DSP Amplifier — This is the setup in this thread.

Stage Three: High-End Three Way System w/ Upgraded Analog DSP Amplifier — Check out this thread for more details on that: Stage 3 Review in 981 GT4

-Nick
Appreciate the details!
Could you PM me with pricing on each stage and which components are being used?
I searched through your website but I am guessing you guys switched over some of the components with different brands maybe?
I guess I can ask more questions in detail through PM
Old 10-19-2021, 01:47 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Correct!

-Nick
So the hardware is $2595...I am NOT (unfortunately) a DIY guy.....how much for the install labor (Stage 2)?
Old 10-19-2021, 01:59 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by alwaysdriving
Originally Posted by Jet Jockey
lol… I’m in the same boat… or Cayman.
Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I added the MC tweeters in my 991.2, and that was easy to do. The kit came with everything I needed to do the upgrade. It was also easily reversible when I sold the car. Love the quality machining of the parts, too.

I am looking forward to Nick’s 718 Bose upgrade.
Originally Posted by minn19
Yup, I to am eagerly awaiting to see what the Bose upgrade package looks like.
The Bose system is in the works and should be ready to take pre-orders by early/mid November. I'll be sure to have a separate thread for that and potentially get a group buy going if we have enough interested parties.

Originally Posted by daaa nope
I was gonna call you guys today to ask about installation instructions... guess I found them here! W00T!!

UPS shows my Stage 2 is "Out for Delivery" right now. The tough question will be: do I tear into the car immediately after work? Or wait until the weekend........
Oh yeah, this will definitely help. Believe it or not I have more detailed photos and instructions still in the works. I've just been too slammed at the shop to finish them up. Give me a call when you get the package opened up. I want to go over a few things and take inventory so I know that you're set up for success!

Originally Posted by SockToy
would stage 1+ be worth it for a burmester car?
Absolutely — We've done tweeter upgrades in Burmester cars with great feedback from the drivers. The added damping is going to make it that much better with improved dynamics and low-end response. Not to mention a little bit of road noise suppression!

Originally Posted by helothere
Appreciate the details!
Could you PM me with pricing on each stage and which components are being used?
I searched through your website but I am guessing you guys switched over some of the components with different brands maybe?
I guess I can ask more questions in detail through PM
We're in the process of getting the new website up and running. That info is grossly outdated. Send me your email address via PM and I'll shoot you over all the info you need!

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
So the hardware is $2595...I am NOT (unfortunately) a DIY guy.....how much for the install labor (Stage 2)?
Depends on who installs the kit, but we estimate around 5-6 hours for install. I see you're in Seattle, so if you decided to make a trip down here to us that would be 5x$115/hr, or $575 for install.
The following users liked this post:
daaa nope (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 02:15 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope

Do it ASAP if you want to be blown away by the shocking improvement
Old 10-19-2021, 02:17 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by mr965
Do it ASAP if you want to be blown away by the shocking improvement
LOL

I don't have much patience when it comes to new toys. But with limited nice days left this year (I'm in the upper midwest)... the tradeoff is between installing the new toy, or going for a drive. Weather is supposed to be crap this coming weekend (highs in the low 50s) vs. today/tomorrow in the mid 70s...
The following users liked this post:
mr965 (10-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Musicar Stage 2 Audio Install — 718 GT4