Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Musicar Stage 2 Audio Install — 718 GT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 07:48 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 245 Posts

if you all want some test tunes to play this these have been some of my favorites over the years. preferably the original cd or a lossless digital copy whenever possible...

dire straits - money for nothing
eagles - hell freezes over (hotel cali is awesome for low end in the beginning, life in the fast lane as well)
michael jackson - anything from thriller, bad, history or dangerous albums - don't laugh, his stuff is some of the best produced and best sounding music ever recorded
bt - movement in still life (electronica, album title track has a nice 80s video game sample section around the 2:50 mark)
The following users liked this post:
mr965 (11-04-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 05:39 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Funny you mentioned that (hearing loss...) One of my best friends (guy who is responsible for sending me down this horrible, horrible rabbit hole of wanting quality music reproduction) used to work for a high-end home audio shop. On slow weekends I used to hang out and we'd listen to all kinds of stuff. He had noted how particular brands/sounds seemed to follow age demographics. All the "old guys" loved the stuff that (to me) sounded exceptionally harsh and bright. "Hearing loss" was the reason given.

In my experience (and this setup seems no different) it's almost artist-dependent, and it (for me anyways) always seems to be an issue with higher-pitched male voices. Pat Monahan (Train), Rob Thomas (Matchbox 20) seem to be the worst offenders for me, just at the very top end it can be a bit piercing. I did play around a bit with the treble setting at your suggestion. -2 to -3 seems to address it, but then it starts to sound muffled and negatively impacts other tracks that sound fantastic at 0. I'll drop you an email.

Iput together a quick Spotify playlist with some tracks I've found that sound good (note I have these loaded on an SD card in Lossless and sometimes in much higher quality than 44k) but Spotify at 320 is at least a place to share lists for folks to try out. Jana Kramer's "I've Done Love" seems to shine well and come off very balanced. Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" is often one of my go-to demo tracks as well. Tool also sounds great in there (which is a little surprising because usually a lot of electric guitars come off screechy).

I'm still playing with it, screwing around and adding/removing tracks as I try them.... https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4n...388da999814a6f
There are definitely some artists and recordings that are more suitable for a flat response, but when you find those that aren't it can get a bit fatiguing to the ears. I'm working on revisiting the tune file when we get the next Stage Two car in here next week. I'll tone down the top end a bit and send you that revised file to evaluate.

Personally, I evluate every system we offer using Spotify @ 320kbps since that's what most of the world is going to use. It's not compressed enough to make a monumental difference in quality and it's such a convenient way to access a plethora of music. I have my own playlist I've been periodically adding to. There are some good test tracks in the mix: Spotify — Musicar HiFi Reference Playlist

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Nick, is there and option for an auxiliary input set up on your amps so as to be able to plug the iPhone directly into the amp and bypass the PCM. Some may say this is inconvenient, which it may be, but the sound coming off a Tidal master track running through an Audioquest Cobalt Dragonfly is a major upgrade from whatever comes out of the PCM.
In both our Stage Two and Stage Three systems we have the opportunity to add an auxiliary source that bypasses the PCM and plugs directly into the DSP Amplifier. There are also proprietary lossless bluetooth options for each of those as well. You're correct that it's less convenient, but also offers better resolution. We have clients that run their system this way and it all boils down to what's more important to you, personally.

Originally Posted by nineball
if you all want some test tunes to play this these have been some of my favorites over the years. preferably the original cd or a lossless digital copy whenever possible...

dire straits - money for nothing
eagles - hell freezes over (hotel cali is awesome for low end in the beginning, life in the fast lane as well)
michael jackson - anything from thriller, bad, history or dangerous albums - don't laugh, his stuff is some of the best produced and best sounding music ever recorded
bt - movement in still life (electronica, album title track has a nice 80s video game sample section around the 2:50 mark)
Definitely some solid choices, and I don't think anyone with any knowledge would "laugh" at the Michael Jackson reference. Some of Quincy Jones' best work. In fact, the stereo presentation of the Thriller album is still to this day one of the best I've experienced!
Old 11-04-2021, 09:43 PM
bradStyle
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey @12v Nick, some of these guys might want to hear about the Stage 3 PLUS. It's OK, you can tell them. I know you just didn't want to public embarrass me for starting out with the Burmester. LOL.

Last edited by bradStyle; 11-04-2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:56 AM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Definitely some solid choices, and I don't think anyone with any knowledge would "laugh" at the Michael Jackson reference. Some of Quincy Jones' best work. In fact, the stereo presentation of the Thriller album is still to this day one of the best I've experienced!
True but… if you really want to hear some crazy 3 dimensional/holographic music, try Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon in a 5.1 version… the original recording way back then (early 70s) was mastered in Quadraphonic, basically a 4.0 recording… simply amazing!

Note: the stereo version of Dark Side of the Moon is in itself imo, one of the best ever album recorded for sound effects, the 5.1 version just takes it over the top.

There are many albums and songs that are extremely well recorded/mastered and transferred to CDs, better yet DVDs or even better yet High Definition Bluray discs that reproduce exceptional pieces of music when listened to on a very high end home audio system. Unfortunately, you only get some of that wonderful sound in a car audio system.

Last edited by Jet Jockey; 11-05-2021 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:44 AM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,113 Likes on 549 Posts

"In both our Stage Two and Stage Three systems we have the opportunity to add an auxiliary source that bypasses the PCM and plugs directly into the DSP Amplifier. There are also proprietary lossless bluetooth options for each of those as well."

With two sources hooked up at the same time, how do you switch between them? Autosensing or do you need one of those RC remotes? Or just turn the PCM to its auxiliary with no input on and then play the iPhone through the Mosconi auxiliary input?
Old 12-08-2021, 07:05 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
"In both our Stage Two and Stage Three systems we have the opportunity to add an auxiliary source that bypasses the PCM and plugs directly into the DSP Amplifier. There are also proprietary lossless bluetooth options for each of those as well."

With two sources hooked up at the same time, how do you switch between them? Autosensing or do you need one of those RC remotes? Or just turn the PCM to its auxiliary with no input on and then play the iPhone through the Mosconi auxiliary input?
Sorry @lovetoturn I just realized I never answered your last question! With the Stage Two it would be auto-sensing and with Stage Three it would require an auxiliary switch to toggle between sources/tunes.

- - -

Just as a quick update, this system(and the stage three) is now available at a healthy discount through the end of December via Group Buy. here's a link to the official thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...981-991-a.html

There's a lot more info on the various stages in that thread as well!

—Nick
Old 12-09-2021, 01:10 PM
BzzzBom
Banned

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I’m probably going from Stage 1 to Stage 2 on my 718 GTS 4.0. How does the discount work going from 1 to 2?
12v Nick (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 01:30 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by BzzzBom
I’m probably going from Stage 1 to Stage 2 on my 718 GTS 4.0. How does the discount work going from 1 to 2?
When I moved from S1 to S2, Nick took the S2 price and simply knocked off the cost I'd spent on the S1 tweeters.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:40 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BzzzBom
Originally Posted by daaa nope
When I moved from S1 to S2, Nick took the S2 price and simply knocked off the cost I'd spent on the S1 tweeters.
You're both on par.

If you already have the tweeters, you would subtract your original investment from the retail kit cost and then take 15% off of that. So @BzzzBom, you would be looking at $3,595 - $595 = $3,000 $2,550 on Group Buy
daaa nope (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 07:03 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,113 Likes on 549 Posts

Thanks Nick.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:07 AM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts

I have a BGTS with Bose. I have about a 1 hour highway drive to and from the backroads I like to drive. No audio for the backroads, but on the highway I like to listen to audiobooks. I don’t find the Bose that great for that, it definitely doesn’t sound as clear as the fairly cheap headphones I normally use. Would one of your stages help with an audiobook?
Old 12-10-2021, 12:22 AM
badprognosis
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Nick, is this group buy available to Canadians?
Old 12-10-2021, 02:35 AM
Mousejunior
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by badprognosis
Nick, is this group buy available to Canadians?
yes it will apply to us folks north of the boarders as well. Just email Nick with your info, your name, car and location.
badprognosis (12-10-2021)
Old 09-28-2023, 07:20 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

Nick, is your Bose system upgrade still available? I can't seem to find a thread on it anymore...
Old 09-28-2023, 08:24 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sonicworld
Nick, is your Bose system upgrade still available? I can't seem to find a thread on it anymore...
Absolutely.

We actually just re-developed the Bose solutions for the 718/991.2 platforms. Shoot me an email and I can send you all the details — (porsche.audio@musicarnw.com)
sonicworld (09-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Musicar Stage 2 Audio Install — 718 GT4