Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 02:56 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
So correct me if am wrong, but the Cargraphic OAPs that seem to produce the best sound for the US market are the ones WITH the filter insert and WITHOUT the sensor.

Is that correct?

Because there is a version WITHOUT the filter and WITHOUT the sensor. These would just have an empty housing that would function as a resonator of sorts.
Understood that there are versions with and without the sensors. I went for the unmonitored NA versions WITH the High Flow Filters, under the premise that might be an "in between" solution to fully open OPF Delete OAPs with regards to increase in volume and increase in drone.

@IRM 's report that he had the just the exhaust first and then added the OAPs with High Flow Filters and was very pleased with the increase in volume with no real increase in drone is promising to me.

I considered the one that has the canister with no filter, but I felt like that would not reduce the amount of volume and drone from other fully open OPF Delete OAPs, and Eric at SupremePower agreed. But I agree that it would potentially change the tone versus any of the straight through designs.

Per my other post above, I am hopeful that I feel some extra pull above 5K RPM like I have with the other two Exhaust + OAP solutions I have tried, I really missed that when I went back to the Stock OAPs with the JCR Exhaust. (But also I believe that just the JCR exhaust adds HP and Torque - I feel that more so being stronger in the lower RPMs, noticeably quicker from a stop and pulling in lower RPMs.)

I now have an install scheduled for this Friday...
Old 10-25-2021, 03:13 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Understood that there are versions with and without the sensors. I went for the unmonitored NA versions WITH the High Flow Filters, under the premise that might be an "in between" solution to fully open OPF Delete OAPs with regards to increase in volume and increase in drone.

@IRM 's report that he had the just the exhaust first and then added the OAPs with High Flow Filters and was very pleased with the increase in volume with no real increase in drone is promising to me.

I considered the one that has the canister with no filter, but I felt like that would not reduce the amount of volume and drone from other fully open OPF Delete OAPs, and Eric at SupremePower agreed. But I agree that it would potentially change the tone versus any of the straight through designs.

Per my other post above, I am hopeful that I feel some extra pull above 5K RPM like I have with the other two Exhaust + OAP solutions I have tried, I really missed that when I went back to the Stock OAPs with the JCR Exhaust. (But also I believe that just the JCR exhaust adds HP and Torque - I feel that more so being stronger in the lower RPMs, noticeably quicker from a stop and pulling in lower RPMs.)

I now have an install scheduled for this Friday...
Pics:

The following users liked this post:
964C4 (05-11-2022)
Old 10-25-2021, 03:25 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,466 Likes on 2,239 Posts

Pics:

OEM

964C4 (05-11-2022)
Old 10-25-2021, 03:35 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
OEM

Thanks for posting for a direct comparison!

That pic makes me want to quote Chris Farley - "That'll leave a mark."

I will have to trust CG that theirs is freer flowing...
UncleDude (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 03:42 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Pics:

Interesting filter media, looks like a 200 cell cat, I would be worried that unlike the cat that has an active coating to burn off soot, the inert filter could clog up over time...
Old 10-25-2021, 11:23 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
....... Curious if anyone is having problems or if they are casually passing the visual inspection and emissions testing.
There are some "friendly" inspection shops that can overlook visual "anomalies" as long as the vehicle passes the emissions; or so I'm told! I live in Minnesota presently; but, do plan to move back to CA in a few years. Need to get back to a warm place!!

Just realized: As it appears from everyone's mods, there is still some drone left in the cruising rev range. It may never go away. Adding a Header will amplify that drone! That's precisely what a Header does. So, in the case of Kline setup, a Header will help with getting some decent volume back up in <4k; but, it will also amplify the drone. There is no way getting around it. With JCR setup, it'll be lot worse!

Old 10-25-2021, 11:42 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm picking up my car Wednesday night from ppf, with a whole 25 miles on it. I do have some JCR manifolds ready to throw on and DC021 is nearby me and has offered his genitalia modded oaps for me in the meantime. @the_rider I'm also local to you and have been on a few Porsches and Pancakes/Nordstern trips with you/Winona/Red Wing and such.
I'm hoping to be able to work with DC021 soon so I can get the manifolds installed, he has a lift and proper tools plus he's gone through it before. But it will be awhile until I can go over 4k...on the plus or downside...I'll always be in the drone zone.
I'm planning to install a Soul VC as well to see how that alters things. I'll do my best to report back when I get this done. I'm guessing it will be a few weeks unless I want to pay my Indy to install them (which I might do).
I have had great success with a Rode Micro and DSLR for quality audio vids.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:19 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations, @Alpha Ice . Did we meet? Apologies for not recognizing. I haven't socialized since the beginning of the pandemic! Just isolated myself! Get wait to get back to group drives and socializing.

We could go for a drive after you get the car. We still have a few more weeks left before hibernation. JCR sounds exciting. Would love to check it out. cheers.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:40 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
There are some "friendly" inspection shops that can overlook visual "anomalies" as long as the vehicle passes the emissions; or so I'm told! I live in Minnesota presently; but, do plan to move back to CA in a few years. Need to get back to a warm place!!

Just realized: As it appears from everyone's mods, there is still some drone left in the cruising rev range. It may never go away. Adding a Header will amplify that drone! That's precisely what a Header does. So, in the case of Kline setup, a Header will help with getting some decent volume back up in <4k; but, it will also amplify the drone. There is no way getting around it. With JCR setup, it'll be lot worse!

Drone is somewhat subjective but I’m very impressed with the Kline even after headers. I don’t discern any drone really and don’t feel the need to delete the sound symposer for the purposes of reducing drone. I may end up deleting at some point just to see the difference in sound, but don’t really feel the need to mess with it right now.
The following 2 users liked this post by NiteCrawlr:
964C4 (05-31-2022), flynlo (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 10:44 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Congratulations, @Alpha Ice . Did we meet? Apologies for not recognizing. I haven't socialized since the beginning of the pandemic! Just isolated myself! Get wait to get back to group drives and socializing.

We could go for a drive after you get the car. We still have a few more weeks left before hibernation. JCR sounds exciting. Would love to check it out. cheers.
No worries, it's been a couple years since I've seen you...and I haven't been to many events in the pandemic era either. I'm sure we'll see each other again this spring (I had the Carmon Red Cayman with a couple CF accents on it).
Old 10-26-2021, 01:34 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Drone is somewhat subjective but I’m very impressed with the Kline even after headers. I don’t discern any drone really and don’t feel the need to delete the sound symposer for the purposes of reducing drone. I may end up deleting at some point just to see the difference in sound, but don’t really feel the need to mess with it right now.
Did you do this mod incrementally or did you do it all at once? Just wondering as I am doing Kline OAP and exhaust with stock manifolds. I would spring for the headers if I felt it was worth it. Just wondering if you did the sequence as I am doing and if so, what kind of differences did you notice? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-26-2021, 06:35 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
Did you do this mod incrementally or did you do it all at once? Just wondering as I am doing Kline OAP and exhaust with stock manifolds. I would spring for the headers if I felt it was worth it. Just wondering if you did the sequence as I am doing and if so, what kind of differences did you notice? Thanks in advance!!!
See my posts (#517 and #520). I did the changes incrementally and noticed what I felt was a significant improvement in the in-cabin sound especially in cruising ranges of rpm after the headers. I wish I would have done it all at once to save time and money on installation. I would do a valve controller either way as well. The sound quality is different and improved with valves open.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...xhaust-35.html
flynlo (10-27-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 11:25 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
.......I'm sure we'll see each other again this spring (I had the Carmon Red Cayman with a couple CF accents on it).
Absolutely. Let's plan a ride when you're up for. Enjoy the new ride!

.....but I’m very impressed with the Kline even after headers. I don’t discern any drone really and don’t feel the need to delete the sound symposer for the purposes of reducing drone. .........
See my posts (#517 and #520). ..........
Agree; we all perceive sound differently. Isn't that true for most things in life?? :-)

Read your comments in the other thread. I think I'm convinced! Kline with a Header is probably the real deal. When I move to CA, I'll find a way to pass the inspection. With 200-cell Cat, it might pass the emission test. Will try to reach out CA drivers to get a better visibility. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm beginning to feel better about this gen, finally!!

Old 10-27-2021, 10:38 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Adding a Sport Header might be the ticket to improve the sound in <4k range, since Kline is too quiet in this range.
Just to clarify again on this point - I do NOT think the Kline is too quiet in this range, with a VC and Valves fully open. Without a VC and PSE keeping valves closed until 3800 RPM, yes. With a VC with Valves always open, not at all. The sound ramps up at 2,000 RPM. You get nice sound, lots of burbles (in a GTS is Sport mode at least) and great engine deceleration noises. It is actually quite lively putzing around town in this mode. So much so that if I am in a spot where I don't want to attract too much attention, I turn it back to PSE mode.

A Valve Controller is a must with the Kline system IMO. It is really a must for any system, quite frankly. Not quite as much with the JCR perhaps where valves open and closed sounds more similar, but still even with the JCR, you get more drama and volume and low RPMs with the VC and Valves always open.

Last edited by IL_Pete; 10-28-2021 at 12:54 AM.
flynlo (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:36 PM
Jon H
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 98 Posts

My BC Fabs Inconel exhaust has arrived and is going on this Friday.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jon H:
Jeff Jones (10-27-2021), jwr9152 (11-02-2021), UncleDude (10-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs