Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 11:59 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

Well, I have had so much fun with the exhaust experimentation, I seem to be addicted to that and can’t stop! (Maybe I have watched to many Obsessed Garage videos with Matt and his exhaust swapping madness…)

I really like the JCR exhaust, a lot. As I have had it on the car several weeks now since these writeups here, I have liked it even more. That said, I was also curious about the Kline Inconel Exhaust + OAP setup. I thought the JCR plus a “straight-through” OPF delete OAP like the Soul OAP was a tad too loud at full tilt and had too much drone, and I had thought about trying the Cargraphics OAP with the canister design similar to the stock OAP, but without the filter (or with the higher flowing filter, they have both options) with the awesome JCR exhaust.

But then I saw on another thread that Eric at Supreme Power had the Kline Inconel setups in stock, so I figured I would give that a try. I ordered it this past week, and it has arrived already. (Thanks, Eric @SupremePower - terrific customer service!) I don’t think I would have ordered something else to check out that required a wait, but something I could check out here immediately in the fall while it was still warm out sounded like fun. (Cargraphics actually had the OAPs in stock as well, but I decided to try the Kline setup, which has its own “canister” sort of approach that also reportedly provides for an exhaust + OAP combo with minimal drone.

Both the JCR and the Kline seem to have that high pitched “Motorsporty” tone above 5000 rpm, which is my top criteria for an exhaust, along with minimizing drone in that 2k RPM range give or take.

So that is my next adventure here, install is scheduled for Wednesday for next week. I will provide an A/B comparison of the JCR versus the Kline, and then make the likely very tough decision on which one to keep.

As they say, sometimes the journey is more fun that the destination!

Last edited by IL_Pete; 10-09-2021 at 12:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
Alpha Ice (10-10-2021), lowbee (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 12:12 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Well, I have had so much fun with the exhaust experimentation, I seem to be addicted to that and can’t stop! (Maybe I have watched to many Obsessed Garage videos with Matt and his exhaust swapping madness…)

I really like the JCR exhaust, a lot. As I have had it on the car several weeks now since these writeups here, I have liked it even more. That said, I was also curious about the Kline Inconel Exhaust + OAP setup. I thought the JCR plus a “straight-through” OPF delete OAP like the Soul OAP was a tad too loud at full tilt and had too much drone, and I had thought about trying the Cargraphics OAP with the canister design similar to the stock OAP, but without the filter (or with the higher flowing filter, they have both options) with the awesome JCR exhaust.

But then I saw on another thread that Eric at Supreme Power had the Kline Inconel setups in stock, so I figured I would give that a try. I ordered it this past week, and it has arrived already. (Thanks, Eric @SupremePower - terrific customer service!) I don’t think I would have ordered something else to check out that required a wait, but something I could check out here immediately in the fall while it was still warm out sounded like fun. (Cargraphics actually had the OAPs in stock as well, but I decided to try the Kline setup, which has its own “canister” sort of approach that also reportedly provides for an exhaust + OAP combo with minimal drone.

Both the JCR and the Kline seem to have that high pitched “Motorsporty” tone above 5000 rpm, which is my top criteria for an exhaust, along with minimizing drone in that 2k RPM range give or take.

So that is my next adventure here, install is scheduled for Wednesday for next week. I will provide an A/B comparison of the JCR versus the Kline, and then make the likely very tough decision on which one to keep.

Wow, you are on the quest!

I was out yesterday in my Spyder, top down weather so I could hear the Akra/JCR system very well, both valves open and on PSE-off settings, and you know what, I like them both, open for more growl and presence and closed for a beautiful understated sound that only comes from a powerful engine. I was smiling like a kid!

Looking forward to your report and comparison between the Kline and JCR rear sections.
The following users liked this post:
IL_Pete (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 02:02 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the silenced JCR exhaust on my Spyder and have really enjoyed your posts. Like you, I think it's a great system. Kline was my second choice so I'm looking forward to hearing your report on that system.
IL_Pete (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 02:14 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Wow, you are on the quest!

I was out yesterday in my Spyder, top down weather so I could hear the Akra/JCR system very well, both valves open and on PSE-off settings, and you know what, I like them both, open for more growl and presence and closed for a beautiful understated sound that only comes from a powerful engine. I was smiling like a kid!

Looking forward to your report and comparison between the Kline and JCR rear sections.
Originally Posted by SpydrGuy
I have the silenced JCR exhaust on my Spyder and have really enjoyed your posts. Like you, I think it's a great system. Kline was my second choice so I'm looking forward to hearing your report on that system.
Thanks, guys!

It is going to be interesting, and it will likely be a close shootout between the two. The JCR sounds really great with the valves closed. Given that, with the VC off letting the PSE Valve Control do its thing, it is VERY seamless with the valve transitions, going from open to closed to open again. And then with Valves always open it has extra mojo and volume but is still great.

The Kline system will have to be amazing to beat out the JCR Exhaust with stock OAPs! Let the games begin…
Old 10-09-2021, 08:41 PM
DIS295
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 51 Posts

IL-PETE,

Thanks for the detailed review. I have a set of soul OAPs, but haven't yet installed(and may not). One of the things I like about by BGTS is that at constant speed cruise(<= 80 mph), the cabin is quiet. I removed the symposer because it was adding artificial sounds. After that the cabin got even quieter. I'd like your opinion of the cabin noise with the soul OAP and the stock muffler, but only at cruising speeds. I'm hoping and expecting some change in tone and an increase in volume when accelerating, but would like minimal change in the cabin when at constant, below 80 speeds. Your thoughts on this?
Old 10-09-2021, 09:41 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,466 Likes on 2,239 Posts

Looking forward to the next chapter in the journey Pete!

I assume you saw this forum member review:
Old 10-10-2021, 12:53 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DIS295
IL-PETE,

Thanks for the detailed review. I have a set of soul OAPs, but haven't yet installed(and may not). One of the things I like about by BGTS is that at constant speed cruise(<= 80 mph), the cabin is quiet. I removed the symposer because it was adding artificial sounds. After that the cabin got even quieter. I'd like your opinion of the cabin noise with the soul OAP and the stock muffler, but only at cruising speeds. I'm hoping and expecting some change in tone and an increase in volume when accelerating, but would like minimal change in the cabin when at constant, below 80 speeds. Your thoughts on this?
I think you would like it. The OAPs seem to be more RPM dependent on the increase in volume, while the exhaust (at least my JCR) is more throttle dependent.

So with the OAPs, you can have it be quieter with keeping the throttle down below like 4500 rpms. Also it is VERY quiet with the valves closed, under like 5500 rpms. It was actually too quiet for my tastes like that, I like that the JCR exhaust sounds so good with valves closed and with PSE doing the valve control.

Yes, you can keep the cabin noise low with the above tactics. With valves always open and at higher rpms, it can get fairly loud, but you can control that with Valve settings and RPMs.

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Looking forward to the next chapter in the journey Pete!

I assume you saw this forum member review:
https://youtu.be/Epf6E3lUB-w
Yes, thanks! I really enjoyed Kit's videos and those contributed to me wanting to check out the Kline system. Understood there is a little drone, but still I suspect it is less than the JCR plus straight through OAPs like the Souls, as people seem to report, so I felt it was worth checking it out. Stock has a little drone to it, especially with a Valve Controller and Valves open all the time (as people report - I did not try that setup. Even the JCR exhaust with Stock OAPs has a little bassiness at 2K RPMs that some might call drone. It is minor though. So tough to really know for sure unless you try it out yourself.

I went for a 2 hour / 100 mile plus drive yesterday, and really focused in on experimenting with the JCR exhaust at different speeds and rpms. It is really terrific! Honestly I don't know what I am thinking trying another system. The JCR is awesome and I am quite happy with it.

With regards to the other thread about losing HP as measured by a Dyno with the JCR, that is an interesting thread. I don't buy it. My Butt Dyno says that there is definitely an increase in HP and Torque from this exhaust. Very noticeable, at all RPMs! (I conclude that actual Dynos are tough to compare if not the same day in the exact same setup and conditions, as discussed at length there.)

The grass is always greener, as they say. There is a good chance that I check out the Kline and go back to the JCR - we shall see.

Based on all of my research and listening to videos, these are my favorite two right now with regards to tone (more of a higher pitched tone at higher rpms) and what people are saying in their reviews. I have focused in on exhaust or exhaust plus OAPs versus Headers, because I don't want to go too loud.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:17 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,788 Likes on 2,138 Posts

Originally Posted by DIS295
IL-PETE,

I have the Soul OAP GPF delete pipes with everything else stock on my Spyder.

I always drive with PSE ON so valves open at 5000 in 1st/2nd and 3800 3rd and up.

With the valves closed I don’t really notice too much more volume than with the stock GPF pipes. Of course at cruising speed in a Spyder top up/down many other noises are more prominent than exhaust.

I’m in the minority as I like the stock PSE programming. Closed below 5000/3800 is just fine with me.

Bottomline you’ll be happy with the Soul OAPs just cruising around…basically stock sounds.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:42 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

My ship comes in next week...literally lol. So if you need to offload one of your exhausts to someone local, I'll be happy to meet you in SG road territory and help you out in this very troubled pickle you're in LOL. Best of the best inconel exhausts....can you really go wrong?
Hearing everyone with the CG OAP and being so happy is really appealing to hear. That's definitely sparking some excitement. I'm just a bit nervous about having such a hodgepodge of parts, but I get that each mfg might offer something better...and having a full JCR setup will be quite an expensive proposition. Once I get through the AP break-in (I'll be running winter wheel/tire setup to aid the break-in), I'll be running the JCR Manifolds, and ideally the Fabspeed exhaust (if and when it comes in). I'm hoping to add one piece at a time, but I might just say the heck with it and throw them all on at the same time. We'll see how patient I can be.

Thanks as always Pete, I'm looking forward to hearing your experience and review with the Kline.
IL_Pete (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 06:03 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Got the car back this morning with the Kline system, experienced it on the way home running a few errands, and then again on my lunch break for a spirited country road drive. It is terrific!

BUT so far from first impressions there is no clear winner between the JCR Exhaust with Stock OAPs, and the Kline Exhaust plus OAP combo. Just Pros and Cons. Both are so darn good that I have a difficult decision ahead of me.

The JCR's strength IMO is that there isn't a lot of difference between valves closed and valves open. It just sounds terrific all the time! The downside to the JCR is that with OPF Delete OAPs with a Straight-Through design, it has too much drone around 2,000 RPM for my tastes. With exhaust only and stock OAPs, there is some extra bass and resonance around 2,000 rpm, but it is much less and much more tolerable. But in that case it loses volume and pull at high RPMs. Having experienced how ballistic the JCR is with OPF Delete OAPs, it is really a tease to go back to just the exhaust, but I really had to due to the drone at 2,000 RPM.

The Kline is very interesting. There is zero drone around 2,000 RPM. I mean ZERO. I couldn't create any if I tried. It doesn't even do that sound where you get an increase in the bassy tones but might not quite call it drone. (Keep in mind that I do have the SS Delete done to my car.) The volume and ballistic sound of the Kline kicks in at about 3,800-3,900 and goes to redline. There is a weird bump in volume from 5,100 to about 5,700 RPM that is just louder with windows down, but creates a resonance in the cabin with windows up. I have not experienced resonance up there before. I think that highlights that Kline changed the architecture from the stock setup, flipped everything around as people describe. Maybe that will go away or diminish as my system breaks in, we shall see. The JCR did change a bit (for the better) as it broke in. It is pretty loud at that 5,100 to 5,700 RPM range, by ears and brain were fatigued after my drive in driving in that range a bunch experimenting with that.

The downside to the Kline for my tastes is that it is more so Jekyll and Hyde - it is much more quiet and tame up to that 3,800 RPM range where it kicks in, more like the stock setup or just the OAPs. It still sounds way better than stock in those lower RPMs, but comparatively the JCR sounds more similar at lower and higher RPMs and with valves open and closed, and with PSE controlling that. Thus the JCR is more so sounding good all the time, but not as capable of being in Stealth Mode like the Kline is. If you want the ability to be very stealthy, the Kline can do that, just keep it below 3,800 RPMs and it is very quiet. (Almost too quiet for me, after being used to the JCR...)

The Kline is louder and more Ballistic from about 3,800 to 5,000-5,500+ RPM, where I think the JCR catches up in that regard. Maybe the Kline is a bit louder all the way from 3,800 to redline, but it is more so noticeable in the 3,800 to 5,000-5,500 range, and maybe that's more relevant because we are probably in that range much more often.

Both are IMO the two most Motorsport sounding / high pitched in the higher RPMs, from watching reviews on just about everything and experiencing these two IRL. Both each have their own sound and are equally great. I believe the JCR is a little raspier, it feels like that is coming from the titanium construction. I think I prefer the tone of the JCR by just a hair due to that, but they are both amazing, I prefer that higher pitched tone that both of these give.

I never experienced the JCR from the outside of the car at full tilt, I should have done that when tdlondon came over that day. I should do that with this one.

I have no idea what I will decide, there are pros and cons to both, and there is no clear winner. They are both great! I feel like either way I go I will have regrets and miss the other one. One thing I have validated - these were my favorite two systems from listening to YouTube and reading reviews, and they are indeed both great for my needs.

(I do have one potential solution that might work - buy a second 718 4.0 of some sort and have one with each. And then I realized that I might have a hard time selling that to the wife.)

I will report more as I get more time with the Kline system, and it breaks in.

Last edited by IL_Pete; 10-14-2021 at 10:48 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
5Zigen (10-14-2021), 964C4 (05-11-2022), 998R (10-15-2021), Alpha Ice (10-15-2021), flynlo (10-14-2021), GT4rsG (08-09-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-14-2021, 08:14 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

One other note - the Butt Dyno measures the "pull" over 5,500 RPM in this order:
1. JCR w Soul OAP
2. Kline Exhaust + OAP
3. JCR w Stock OAP

Kind of makes sense, with the Kline OAP having the canister design and perhaps not being as free flowing as the Soul. Worth it for no drone, though!

That was one of the reasons for trying the Kline, was missing the high RPM pull from #1 above after going from #1 to #3 above to reduce the drone.

Makes me wonder, should I try the JCR with a Cargraphics canister OAP, and compare to the Kline? LOL, that would be getting a little carried away. (But still...)

Last edited by IL_Pete; 10-14-2021 at 10:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
964C4 (05-11-2022), Jeff Jones (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 10:10 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,466 Likes on 2,239 Posts

Another great review! Next may I suggest the Soul valved rear section? Or the cargraphic X pipe and high flow OAP’s?

I don’t want it to end!
IL_Pete (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 10:12 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks for posting all of your experiences! I have the Kline exhaust/oap but was very close to getting the JCR myself. I’m going to install headers and get the sound symposer deleted very soon. Look forward to hearing more of your observations and reviews!
IL_Pete (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 11:09 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

As always, Thanks Pete. You are the man!!!! I have an idea. How about the Kline OAP with the JCR exhaust???? I think that will get you closer to your #1 with little or no drone??? You can thank me later!

Also that noise you hear around 5k was noticed by the "Kit Car" review. He liked the noise it made in that range and listed it as a positive.

Thanks again!!! This is a great thread!!
IL_Pete (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 12:01 AM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Update here - @tdlondon and I did a comparison test of my new setup with the JCR Exhaust and stock OAPs (and VC and SS Delete), versus his GT4 with the Fabspeed Valved Exhaust plus Fabspeed OPF Delete OAPs, and a Valve Controller. (Also the SS Delete.)

First and foremost, it is important to note that there is a fairly significant fundamental difference between the GT4 and Cayman GTS 4.0 in that the GT4 has less sound deadening, and there is a lot more engine, exhaust and mechanical noise that come into the cabin. It makes the GT4 feel more raw, in a good way. The CGTS 4.0 still lets a lot of that noise in, it is just that the GT4 lets more in. Beyond just the engine induction noise and the exhaust noise, there is a lot of clickety clacking going on, you can hear more so the mechanical noises from shifts, etc. It is great in that regard with the GT4, but also might be a little more mentally fatiguing than the CGTS 4.0.

That is an important point I think when we all compare here, there are 4 718 4.0 models, and while all 4 have basically the same engine (minus 200 RPM on the GTS's) and the same exact exhaust setup, all four are going to be subtly different based upon the amount of sound deadening, and the roof construction.

Okay, so to the comparison. tdlondon thought that the JCR was about the perfect setup for a street car. It sounds terrific in all 3 of the valve settings, and really roars at WOT throttle and higher RPMs. But it is not TOO loud. Windows up, it is plenty loud and raw inside the cabin. Windows down, with the AWE wind diffusers helping to reduce the wind noise levels, I still find it a hair on the quiet side while cruising country roads. (We did that on our test - went on 20-30 minute drives on my country road routes with both cars, where you have the opportunity to wind out the RPMs.)

Then we took out the GT4. I immediately noticed the above with regards to the overall sensation of the less sound deadening letting a lot more of the mechanical sounds into the cabin - I really liked that! I had experienced his combination of the Fabspeed Valved Exhaust with the Fabspeed OPF Delete OAPs (and VC) a few months back, before the SS Delete. I could say with certainty that the SS Delete definitely did REDUCE the drone. It was still there, but it was definitely less severe after the SS Delete. Before, it was pretty unbearable to me, after it was more so an annoyance but bearable, especially considering the gloriousness of that setup over 4,000 RPMs! It really sounded fantastic at higher RPMs. Enough such that I was feeling jealous relative to the JCR exhaust only setup! It was similar to what I experienced with the JCR Exhaust plus the Soul OAPs, perhaps a bit more epic with the less sound deadening in a GT4.

My impression was that his GT4's drone (after the SS Delete) was a little bit less prominent than my drone for the 4 days I had the setup with the JCR Exhaust plus the Soul OAPs. Maybe not, we couldn't compare back to back, obviously.

Another thing that came out of the comparison was that tdlondon was impressed with the AWE wind diffusers, and I think he ordered a set already!

Lastly, it did have me thinking about a GT4 again, versus doing another CGTS 4.0. There are a lot of options that I really like and want that you get in a GTS 4.0, and I like the notion of being a little more under the radar with the GTS versus the much more bold race car look of the GT4, but still that raw feel of all the noise in the cabin was really appealing! I do now happen to have deposits on BOTH a CGTS 4.0 and a GT4, it will be interesting to see which comes up first and what I decide. (Maybe I should do both, and then decide which one to keep longer term? Ha-ha - I wish. I think my Bank Account says no.)

It was great fun, so nice to be able to do this comparison back to back with these two similar but different cars, with the two setups. Also great to share that with another fellow Porsche enthusiast!
Pete, it was really a lot of fun driving back to back like this. Very seldom we can have so direct and distinct comparisons of exhaust setups like this. You can listen to all the best recordings people do, it never equates the actual feel and experience you have by actually driving it. The vibration, the volume, connection to speed... impossible to replicate.
I did really enjoy the JCR. I wonder how it would sound like with the OAP deletes vs the Fabspeed. I'm happy-ish with the Fabspeed. At WOT it's glorious! As I've tracked the car quite a few times, it really pumps the adrenaline at the all the time approaching redline. But below 4k RPM it's not as much and makes me want to go back to stock PSE. This was what I really loved about the JCR on your car. The bassy sound and angry like it wants to unleash more power!
Who knows maybe I'll have a chance to experience JCR with OAP delete??
Another curiosity would be testing back to back the Fabspeed vs SOUL, since they are the two US stainless steel fabricators. How much different would it sound?

And yes I did order the AWE wind diffuser. Not tested properly yet. And I also got a set of side scoop grilles from the guys from Radiator Grille Shop. Incredibly nicely done, stock look! At the track helps to avoid chunks of rubber getting sucked into the intake scoops. Turns out the guy who does that is my neighbor and walked over to hand the package to me
IL_Pete (10-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs