Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 10:50 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by kart125
Wow I was away from forums in the last month or so and I just read through this thread. Amazing source of info! Awesome work IL_Pete! I wish I had all these info when I ordered exhaust parts last year. I bought the Soul OAPs before I got the car and installed them quite early so no real seat time with stock car. I then drove for 2 months with Soul OAP and stock exhaust and stored the car for winter. I ordered the JCR Silenced valved exhaust in july (also before car came) but due to delays in production I got it in november once car was stored. It served as a wall ornament until april and I then installed JCR exhaust and Soul valve controller at the same time.

I'm super happy with curent setup but agree about the drone. It's not a deal breaker for me when I drive alone in car but can be anoying when passengers are riding shotgun. WOT above 5500 rpm are epic. Tunnel runs are... well... EROTIC! Car is getting stored soon and I will consider a set of street headers over the winter so I have something to live by until next spring. It should wake the sound even more and add a bit of butt-o-meter fun. Might go fo a tune at the same time.

The way the exhaust is made on this car amazes me! So easy to switch configurations, all bolt on, no cutting or welding! It's as if Porsche wants us to play with exhaust!
Yes, I ran with JCR + Soul OAPs for a week, and if you don’t mind the drone, that was indeed an epic configuration! It sounded amazing in spirited driving - I would bet even more epic in a GT4 with the less sound deadening.

You bring up a good point about how the three parts of the exhaust are so easy to tinker with. I guess we should appreciate that! While this experimenting has taken a decent amount of time (and money!), the installs have been pretty painless, always just one day with my installer, and not too expensive with regards to the labor cost.

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Excellent report! Thanks again for all your efforts @IL_Pete

I have come very close to buying the soul rear section since there is no drone reported in that low range with that slip on unit. The kline system is also very interesting and priced favourably considering what you get, and the option of stainless steel is nice too, to further keep the cost down. I’ve got 4100 km on my stock system and it is most certainly more lively than when I got the car.

The cargrphic x-pipe rear section is also interesting, but I don’t think I’ve found anyone on the forum just running that unit with all else stock. So many options, and Black Friday around the corner!
It’s funny you mention that with regards the the CG X-Pipe - when I said above that I was still thinking of possibly checking some other stuff out, that was at the top of the list!

That also seems to have that high pitched Motorsport sound at high RPM, like I have liked with the JCR and the Kline. Agree that there don’t seem to be many reports on that one out there. My wallet is telling me I need to take a break for a while, so maybe in the spring. Also, I am pretty happy with this current setup so far, after all this tinkering I feel like I have found the “Goldilocks” setup for me, at least for now.

Here is the video that got me thinking about that:

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
If I can't bum a lift off of someone soon, I'll have my indy install my JCR Manifolds. I'm very anxious to hear how it sounds, and I'll either install the Soul VC, or if we're short on time, I'll just wire the valves open for now. Hopefully in the next few days I can have some more great data to provide to the group, albeit starting from the other end and working back to stock oap and PSE (unless my Fabspeed valved exhaust arrives in the next week).
Cool! Looking forward to hearing your report!
Old 10-31-2021, 11:33 AM
TTFLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 58 Posts

Cargraphic is the only x-pipe that sounds close to the high pitched flat 6 tone like JCR. At least in the videos. I’m going with JCR silenced.

Last edited by TTFLT6; 10-31-2021 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IL_Pete (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 11:57 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by TTFLT6
Cargraphic is the only x-pipe that sounds close to the high pitched flat 6 wail like JCR. At least in the videos......
And the description of their X-pipe Track/Competition model goes further in saying NO Drone..... and that got me very tempted.....
-
looking at the dB chart, this version has more or less the same volume as OEM and since I am not looking for louder this might just be the ticket for me
-
-

Last edited by lowbee; 10-31-2021 at 12:21 PM.
IL_Pete (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 01:08 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
And the description of their X-pipe Track/Competition model goes further in saying NO Drone..... and that got me very tempted.....
-
looking at the dB chart, this version has more or less the same volume as OEM and since I am not looking for louder this might just be the ticket for me
-
-
Hmm…
UncleDude (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 01:44 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

This full setup from CG would be way too loud for me (and my bad ear), but HOLY COW, it sounds AMAZING!

Old 11-01-2021, 01:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,663 Likes on 2,714 Posts

Cargraphic is the only x-pipe that sounds close to the high pitched flat 6 tone like JCR. At least in the videos. I’m going with JCR silenced.
I think that you will be happy with the JCR Silenced Race Pipe, I know that I am!
Alpha Ice (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 02:42 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks again, Pete. Great work. Appreciate the details. Your exhaustive (!) work helping me to steer toward a specific direction.....!

IL_Pete (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 06:48 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 596 Posts

All X-piped systems basically get high pitched. Here's my Soul albeit inside the car it gives you an idea. (incl headers)

A friend of mine got the CG and he says it does drone (more than stock) with valves closed. It's all relative.
The following 4 users liked this post by JCviggen:
964C4 (03-18-2022), Alpha Ice (11-03-2021), GT4 Shark Blue (11-02-2021), UncleDude (01-23-2022)
Old 11-02-2021, 09:50 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
.......A friend of mine got the CG and he says it does drone (more than stock) with valves closed. It's all relative.
CG offers 4 different models, it would be helpful if you can tell us which model your friend is running that drones
Old 11-02-2021, 10:35 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
CG offers 4 different models, it would be helpful if you can tell us which model your friend is running that drones
The one with the dual 2.5" paths and X pipe. Track/competition.

Anyway I'm confident in saying that any aftermarket exhaust will have more drone than the OEM one.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:05 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCviggen
The one with the dual 2.5" paths and X pipe. Track/competition.

Anyway I'm confident in saying that any aftermarket exhaust will have more drone than the OEM one.
I am investigating this now with Eric at SupremePower. The Cargraphic line is fairly confusing. Let me try to clarify. See here:

There are two versions of the X-Pipe version, the Race version and the Track/Competition version. The difference is that the X-Pipe Track/Competition version is designed for Tracks with Noise Limits, it is quieter. The X-Pipe versions do NOT make any claims of having no drone.

There are two versions that make the claim of no drone - The Touring and a non-X-Pipe one that is unfortunately also named the Track/Competition. The non-X-Pipe Track/Competition is quieter than the Touring. There is a YouTube video of the Touring (one called Clubsport/Touring - I believe the Clubsport is discontinued, they claim that they sounded similar).

The Touring demo starts about 2:30 in this one. I think it sounds good, perhaps not quite as high pitched as the X-Pipe Racing one.

I have not been able to find any review or video of the non-X-Pipe Track/Competition, other than a static one with a car also with Headers, and High Flow Filter OAPs. I don't really care for these static demos, as what I care most about is the tone while driving over 4-5K RPMs. I can't really tell what it would sound like in this demo. The demo doesn't impress me.

Here is the description of the non-X-Pipe Track/Competition:
Version TRACK / COMPETITION:
NO DRONE OR RESONATION
achieved by special triangle shape silencer design with accoustic resonator
even in combination with further CARGRAPHIC exhaust components

Version TRACK / COMPETITION - For the racetrack with silenced and non silenced separated exhaust flow:

The TRACK / COMPETITION silencer, in conjunction with our 3-mode exhaust valve control, has been specially developed for use on race tracks with particularly restrictive noise limits. Both inlet pipes are separated and provide with 2,5"/63,50mm each, compared to the 55mm and 45mm standard pipes, for maximum flow and best possible reduction of the exhaust back pressure. The upper exhaust stream flows permanently through the silencer, which already reduces the fundamental tone compared to the other silencer versions. The lower exhaust stream flows (with the valve open) directly into the tailpipe, while with the valve closed the complete exhaust stream is first directed through the silencer. Due to the pipe diameter of 2.5" / 63.50mm and the special large-volume, triangular silencer design, operation with a permanently closed valve is possible even under full load.
(The Bold highlights are theirs, not mine.)

As I stated, I am pretty satisfied with the JCR Silenced with the CG High Flow Filter OAPs, the best setup so far, but still it is somewhat of compromise of "putting up with" some drone at 2K and 3K RPM (more prominent at 2K) to get the volume and tone I really like at 4K RPM plus, and the extra pull you get from an OPF Delete or in this latest case a Higher Flowing Filter OAP. So I am still looking for something that would give me the sound and volume I want with no drone / less drone at 2K and 3K RPMs, in combination with the CG High Flow Filter OAPs. I haven't yet found that "have my cake and eat it too" solution.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:54 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

They do claim to have no drone on this x-pipe link. Real world experience, like posted above though, is key. Keep going @IL_Pete !!

Old 11-02-2021, 12:26 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

[QUOTE=IL_Pete;17760690]I am investigating this now with Eric at SupremePower. The Cargraphic line is fairly confusing. Let me try to clarify. See here:

The Touring and a non-X-Pipe one that is unfortunately also named the Track/Competition. The non-X-Pipe Track/Competition is quieter than the Touring. There is a YouTube video of the Touring (one called Clubsport/Touring - I believe the Clubsport is discontinued, they claim that they sounded similar).

I have not been able to find any review or video of the non-X-Pipe Track/Competition, other than a static one with a car also with Headers, and High Flow Filter OAPs. I don't really care for these static demos, as what I care most about is the tone while driving over 4-5K RPMs. I can't really tell what it would sound like in this demo. The demo doesn't impress me.

[QUOTE]
I have a non-xpipe track/competition on order, so I can give you a review after I get it. I need something quieter for noise limits. I really wanted the x-pipe version, but as you can see from the chart above it's louder then stock with the valves open and only 1 db quieter with valves closed. I also ordered the quite tips to help out, because I really don't want to have to run with the valves closed. I can recommend the m-engineering tune to control the exhaust valves and eliminate the cold start up. Makes the car much more enjoyable.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:28 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
They do claim to have no drone on this x-pipe link. Real world experience, like posted above though, is key. Keep going @IL_Pete !!

Okay, now I am REALLY confused!!

I will investigate this one as well. I do like the sound of this one from the demo.

Originally Posted by jwr9152
I have a non-xpipe track/competition on order, so I can give you a review after I get it. I need something quieter for noise limits. I really wanted the x-pipe version, but as you can see from the chart above it's louder then stock with the valves open and only 1 db quieter with valves closed. I also ordered the quite tips to help out, because I really don't want to have to run with the valves closed. I can recommend the m-engineering tune to control the exhaust valves and eliminate the cold start up. Makes the car much more enjoyable.
Oh, great! I look forward to your report.

Yes, that M-Engineering tune sounds great, I saw that on your thread that recently. I think I could get my neighbors to pitch in towards that tune, greatly reducing the cost for me!
Old 11-05-2021, 01:03 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

So I heard back from CG today, through Eric at SupremePower. Their answer with regards to "no drone" was this: "Both triangular big volume version silencers do not cause drone with valves in closed position." Meaning the Touring and the Non-X-Pipe Track/Competition one from the chart above, but not the 2 X-Pipe options. Just with the valves closed, apparently.

Quite frankly I don't know that that description is going to inspire me to open my wallet to try another exhaust, at least not right now. Maybe in the Spring.

Also, now that I have decided to get a Spyder and have one on order now for late Spring delivery, perhaps I should wait until I move the JCR + CG OAP solution to that and see how it is with the slightly different scenario of an unlined soft top versus the Cayman hard top.

I took the car out for another ride today. The drone annoyed me on the way out of the neighborhood. And then the sounds were absolutely glorious with windows down on a spirited country road drive. I guess I can live with that for now!

Quick Reply: Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs