Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 07:43 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
I imagine since its tied to the VIN and you sell... the new owner could just continue to use the dongle and the Mtuner and the same license as it would be tough for M to know that you sold, unless the new owner calls in or M is otherwise notified. This seems fair since you bout the package for the car and not the owner... My 2cents.
PS> While I liked the idea of the MTuner and the guys on this thread have been fantastic, I found a different solution thru a pro tuner referred by my Porsche dealer here in SoCal and the guy came to the house and the cost was a factor after having put in over $12k in mods on the car. His tune or any ECU tune for that matter really opens the car up and IMO is worth doing for the car even though the number gains are not like with a turbo car. If I had not found a different source I would have surely gone with M-Tuner as I think the flexibility, customization and support would be worth it. I also now have opted out of 200 cell cat headers because of the tune and they way the car feels. Next up to try throwing in some E85 into the tank!
So you had high flow cats and now you don't - why?
Old 09-20-2021, 08:26 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
So you had high flow cats and now you don't - why?
Sorry.. No, I was on the fence about adding the 200 cell headers to my Kline inconel rear and OAP... but now the car is where I want it sound and performance wise... so while if this was a track or weekend car I would do it, but this is my daily so the 200 cell cats to me would be over the top.... I know guys do the headers and like it, its just not for me as I like the car as I have it now. As for an ECU tune, I think its also a no brainer and no matter who you pick (M, Softronic, other....) its a good mod for this car. The lower cost of the ECU tune I got and that my dealer basically endorsed (by the reco) sealed the deal for me. Good Luck!
Old 09-20-2021, 08:36 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Sorry.. No, I was on the fence about adding the 200 cell headers to my Kline inconel rear and OAP... but now the car is where I want it sound and performance wise... so while if this was a track or weekend car I would do it, but this is my daily so the 200 cell cats to me would be over the top.... I know guys do the headers and like it, its just not for me as I like the car as I have it now. As for an ECU tune, I think its also a no brainer and no matter who you pick (M, Softronic, other....) its a good mod for this car. The lower cost of the ECU tune I got and that my dealer basically endorsed (by the reco) sealed the deal for me. Good Luck!
I was just curious. I am getting a tune in the next few hundred miles when I am done breaking it in, which should really liven things up considering I have the Soul Street Headers w/high flow cats & resonated Soul Race exhaust. I did notice nice gains after the headers were added along with a nice deep rumble...exactly what I was looking for. I have had a lot of cars over the years, from muscle to sports, and this one is in the top 3 for best sounding.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:43 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

I was just curious. I am getting a tune in the next few hundred miles when I am done breaking it in, which should really liven things up considering I have the Soul Street Headers w/high flow cats & resonated Soul Race exhaust. I did notice nice gains after the headers were added along with a nice deep rumble...exactly what I was looking for. I have had a lot of cars over the years, from muscle to sports, and this one is in the top 3 for best sounding.
You will love the ECU tune no matter who you chose to go with. You car will be a monster! I also decided to stop the mods after the exhaust, DCS/TPC toe links and alignment and the tune basically cause the sound is good for me now and if I felt I have to do more, then I think I need a different car. So the GT4 is now where I want it!
Old 09-20-2021, 08:47 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,595 Likes on 573 Posts

Headers give the 4.0L motors in these cars some nice breathing room, they do a great job and sound awesome.

Here's our most recent 4.0L tune we completed on the dyno with headers. This graph compares our Stage 2 mapping with a competitor's tune that the car came to us with. Glad we could get this car running the way it should with aftermarket parts!

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
Jay1k2 (09-20-2021), ripper242 (11-29-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 11:20 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

^^^ Unless I am reading the chart incorrectly... that must have been some awful tune for you guys to add 47WHP. It almost strains credulity when in total thats about all you can get from and NA motor even compared to stock!
The following users liked this post:
afisherunc (09-29-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 05:06 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It goes without saying we were all really happy with the outcome. These cars are a fantastic platform to build upon. Look forward to what's to come with them!

-Charles@M
Old 09-21-2021, 07:05 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M Engineering
It goes without saying we were all really happy with the outcome. These cars are a fantastic platform to build upon. Look forward to what's to come with them!

-Charles@M
Hi Charles! I was just referring to the comparison above to a "competitor tune". The general consensus of ECU tunes overall for the 718 GT4 NA platform is about 40hp and 30tq. Its great that M-Tuner is meeting this consensus! I think the real selling point for people is the ability to do this at home and by yourself with the M team and its dealers help. I just let my SA take my car for a spin and he could not believe what and improvement from the few mods I have done - he even felt the car is closer (not exactly but closer) to what the prior generation GT3 is like! I highly recommend getting at ECU Tune for this car!
Old 09-29-2021, 02:47 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Rennlisters,

Wanted to share some pictures of one of the last drives in Socal that we completed with the M-Engineering 992TTS. Big Bear sure is a beautiful place. We are officially moving our main operations from Newport Beach, CA to Phoenix, AZ. We are still going to be serving the SoCal community so don't worry we are still here for you in the air-conditioned sunshine when duty calls!

We look forward to hearing more Rennlisters post up their feedback and experiences here while using M-Tuner.

We have M-Tuner for the 982 4.0L cars available here. Enjoy!

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
CDACH (09-30-2021), Tay101 (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 03:26 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Hey Rennlisters,

Wanted to share some pictures of one of the last drives in Socal that we completed with the M-Engineering 992TTS. Big Bear sure is a beautiful place. We are officially moving our main operations from Newport Beach, CA to Phoenix, AZ. We are still going to be serving the SoCal community so don't worry we are still here for you in the air-conditioned sunshine when duty calls!

We look forward to hearing more Rennlisters post up their feedback and experiences here while using M-Tuner.

-Charles@M
I know you guys can mod the exhaust valves with your tune. Is there anything else, along those lines, you can do with the tune. Maybe lower the initial start up idle or have the start/stop default to off?
Old 09-29-2021, 03:39 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jwr9152
I know you guys can mod the exhaust valves with your tune. Is there anything else, along those lines, you can do with the tune. Maybe lower the initial start up idle or have the start/stop default to off?
Exhaust valves are a must on these cars, yes we mod the PSE function to always stay on when you press the button.
We are looking into the auto start/stop function and may add that as a future custom feature.

-Charles@M

Last edited by M Engineering; 10-08-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:50 PM
AZWCat
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Rennlisters,

-Charles@M
Awesome, will be great to have you guys in my backyard!
Old 09-29-2021, 04:11 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Exhaust valves are a must on these cars, yes we mod the PSE function to always stay on when you press the button. We can also turn off the loud cold start for cat warmup upon request.
We are looking into the auto start/stop function and may add that as a future custom feature.

-Charles@M
That's fantastic. Cant wait until it gets here.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:25 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 287 Posts

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the headers and exhaust Bob, am I correct that you're still running stock OAPs? As I've mentioned before to you, or others on here, that too is my plan. I want the performance with a bit of an increase in sound...but not the increased sound that the aftermarket OAPs can bring, which is a bit much for most people unless you're truly tracking, or not having to deal with CARB stuff.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:05 PM
jcmer22
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the headers and exhaust Bob, am I correct that you're still running stock OAPs? As I've mentioned before to you, or others on here, that too is my plan. I want the performance with a bit of an increase in sound...but not the increased sound that the aftermarket OAPs can bring, which is a bit much for most people unless you're truly tracking, or not having to deal with CARB stuff.
Bob has Souls race exhaust with replaces the factory OAP.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 OBD Flashing