Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 10:00 PM
Mike0105.
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
For those inquiring about smog checks and flashing back to stock for dealer visits. Our software allows flashing completely back to stock and will also report and verify that your CVN and CALID is stock.

Does the GT4 ECU have a counter that can track how many times the car was flashed?
Mike
Old 09-10-2021, 10:56 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,114 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
My GT4 is PDK. Mods include the race headers, OAP with 200 cell race cats, BMC filters and stock rear muffler. The power is felt across the whole power band but specially on the mid and upper range.
They also fixed the PSE ON logic of shutting the valves between 2K and 4K rpms...now they are open all the time when set to ON.
I have tested side by side with a friend's GT4 with the same mods at the track and mine pulls away, slowly, from him....mine is definitely faster. He is getting the ECU flash for sure!
I did mine when we had to send the ECU...I need to contact John to get the cable as I would like to try the 100 Oct map for track days as I use Sunoco 100 or 104.
Did you do the stage 2 flash?
Old 09-10-2021, 11:08 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike0105.
Does the GT4 ECU have a counter that can track how many times the car was flashed?
Mike
All vehicles do these days. If Porsche wants to find out, they can.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:14 PM
Mike0105.
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
All vehicles do these days. If Porsche wants to find out, they can.
That’ll likely make me wait to flash, would love for my PSE button to fully open the valves though
mike
The following users liked this post:
Fast-Eddie (09-14-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 03:59 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by kj71109
This is super exciting! I may have to pick this up. Question: When flashing back to stock for dealer visits, are they able to tell if the car has been flashed for potential warranty repairs? I.e.- Flash counter or checking parameters.
No, they cannot. HOWEVER, while not tell them if they're actually a cool dealership? We don't ever suggest "deny deny deny" approach.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:18 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
No, they cannot. HOWEVER, while not tell them if they're actually a cool dealership? We don't ever suggest "deny deny deny" approach.
They can find out. I know you are selling a product but practice what you preach and be honest with people that ask.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:21 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,486 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Did you do the stage 2 flash?

Yes.....93 octane but want to try out the 100 octane once I get the cable.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:33 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

They can find out. I know you are selling a product but practice what you preach and be honest with people that ask.
Oh Bob Z....your bedside manner never ceases to amaze me! I thought we were beyond this. Since however you have doubts about my honesty, noodle over this. From 2017 through 2021 we professionally campaigned both a 981 GT4 Clubsport and a 718 GT4 Clubsport. There were cars in the field programmed with Cobb Accessports to not change the original programming dates AND not manipulate the write counters. This made it impossible for anyone to know the cars had been flashed. The only way to prove anything would have been to send the DME back to Continental in the U.K. and have them open it and at that point you could make a claim that the mapping was both leaner and had more IGN timing in it but you could NOT tell it had been flashed. Come to my shop. You can plug into the DME on my 718 GT4. You will not be able to see anything via the same way that the Porsche dealership can. Guess what though? Let's be clear...I DON'T EVER WANT TO SELL A TUNE TO ANYONE THAT'S GOING TO LIE TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR A WARRANTY CLAIM. If your service advisor asks you, give her my phone number and have her call me!

If you still think i am lying, i can tell you that the people that were instrumental at Cobb for doing that left and started their own company. And that's what you were considering. However, you have confirmed my fears that we may not actually be able to work together. So...i don't know at this point if i am a resource for you my friend! That's a shame because you have a gorgeous Spyder and you live up the street but first impressions are everything! You should be nicer, people like me will be more open to helping you! I was hesitant about trying to work with you but i told myself "life is too short." And it is...so cheers my friend! As i told you, i can't touch the pricing that Softronic is willing to give you. Even though youy said you were still interested, i stand by my original suggestion that you go with Scott at Softronic. He's a good dude. He won't steer you wrong!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 09-11-2021 at 10:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BGB Motorsports:
jcmer22 (09-11-2021), kj71109 (09-13-2021), ripper242 (11-29-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 12:00 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I stand by my comments, and that applies to all tuners, not just you. A dealer may not be able to, and they may not even care, but if one has a drivetrain problem and PCNA requests more information from the dealer performing the warranty work, they will be able to find out it was flashed. And I am not going to argue with anyone nor post again so I will only say that if someone is interested in tuning their car be sure you do your research in order to make an educated decision.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 09-11-2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:05 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sorry, I stand by my comments, and that applies to all tuners, not just you. A dealer may not be able to, and they may not even care, but if one has a drivetrain problem and PCNA requests more information from the dealer performing the warranty work, they will be able to find out it was flashed.
Bob, no need to apologize my good friend! Stand by what you said because I don't think anyone should be trying to lie about a warranty claim!

I was just trying to correct for being wrong about my honesty and the inability of the dealership to tell that a car has been flashed if the write counters and program dates have been unchanged.

You are a huge resource for this thread and Rennlist and I want to make sure all the people that read your comments have the backstory as to why you're questioning integrities!! People listen to you!!!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 09-11-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:06 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,176 Likes on 573 Posts

Always great service for me from John and the BGB team. He knows his stuff as good or better than anybody else on this forum. Knowledge, integrity, and honesty will always help a business do well and let its owner sleep well at night.

"When E. F. Hutton talks, people listen"
Old 09-11-2021, 02:37 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Bob, no need to apologize my good friend! Stand by what you said because I don't think anyone should be trying to lie about a warranty claim!

I was just trying to correct for being wrong about my honesty and the inability of the dealership to tell that a car has been flashed if the write counters and program dates have been unchanged.

You are a huge resource for this thread and Rennlist and I want to make sure all the people that read your comments have the backstory as to why you're questioning integrities!! People listen to you!!!
And the same goes for you since I have yet to hear anything negative about BGB here or elsewhere, and I do recommend that people who are interested in your services contact you for more information. In regards to the question though we'll leave it at that.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:55 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,595 Likes on 573 Posts

Happy Monday RL family! We certainly don't condone nefarious warranty claims due to failures and issues caused by negligence. When you uninstall M-Tuner and revert your car back to stock, the flash counter issue is addressed for those being concerned with being flagged

-M
The following users liked this post:
JCviggen (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 01:05 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Happy Monday RL family! We certainly don't condone nefarious warranty claims due to failures and issues caused by negligence. When you uninstall M-Tuner and revert your car back to stock, the flash counter issue is addressed for those being concerned with being flagged

-M
Glad to hear it and good to know.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:54 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I sent you a PM John...hope we can work something out!

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 OBD Flashing