Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb
View Poll Results: 718 GT4 / Spyder tranny experience
I have a manual; love it.
82.41%
I have pdk; love it.
15.74%
I have a manual; wish I had a pdk.
1.85%
I have a pdk; wish I had a manual.
0%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Spyder tranny - first hand experience only poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021 | 04:35 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Seems like there is a focus on speed at redline in these discussions -- which is a component.

However, for me, the biggest advantage of a shorter gear-set is the better torque multiplication you get -- it just pulls harder gear - gear at all RPMs.

I don't remember anyone complaining about the C7 Z06 manual gearing with 1st at 66mph and 2nd around 100mph -- because.torque. No one cares/discusses that the GT3 has similar Redline/MPH points to the 718 manual because how the package gets you there.

Here is the gearing difference between the GT4 and GT3 manuals....you can see the GT3 is shorter, about 15% in 1st.

GT3 3.75 2.38 1.72 1.34 1.08 0.88 Final Drive 3.96

GT4 3.31 1.95 1.41 1.13 0.95 0.81 Final Drive 3.89

Bottomline, I think it's too simplistic to say both GT3/4 have similar 1st/2nd gear RL/MPHs -- therefore similar driving experiences.
And as a result of that lower gearing in the C7 Z06 (C6 Z06 as well), 1st gear and the top of 2nd gear is useless, unless you like bouncing off the traction control system.

For me, the gearing should be as such that it allows full throttle operation in all gears (assuming a warm, dry surface) without the tires going off into smoke, this is what a well balance car does. Nothing overpowers the other, everything works together in harmony to make the car fast. For those that want a drag car hotrod, go get a Hellcat, but for me I want something I can ring out in all gears and that is balanced, and that is the GT4 with its current gearing.

Spinning tires is wasted HP.
Old 08-17-2021 | 04:46 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
And as a result of that lower gearing in the C7 Z06 (C6 Z06 as well), 1st gear and the top of 2nd gear is useless, unless you like bouncing off the traction control system.

For me, the gearing should be as such that it allows full throttle operation in all gears (assuming a warm, dry surface) without the tires going off into smoke, this is what a well balance car does. Nothing overpowers the other, everything works together in harmony to make the car fast. For those that want a drag car hotrod, go get a Hellcat, but for me I want something I can ring out in all gears and that is balanced, and that is the GT4 with its current gearing.

You completely misread my post. My inference was the much higher gearing in the Z06 isn’t debated due to the torque and delivery. Did you read my post?
Old 08-17-2021 | 05:03 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
You completely misread my post. My inference was the much higher gearing in the Z06 isn’t debated due to the torque and delivery. Did you read my post?
Ah, my bad. I skimmed it too quickly, clearly. lol
Old 08-17-2021 | 05:29 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ah, my bad. I skimmed it too quickly, clearly. lol
Easy stuff…I do the same; especially when drink posting
Old 08-17-2021 | 06:08 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

That's actually kind of an interesting thought (long enough gears to actually use the gears at WOT.) Something I hadn't thought of before.

Though, as my car came with the PS4S's... even on warm days, the TC light blinks if I nail it from a stop once I get to around 4000rpm. If I turn the TC off, it does a sort of "gentle haze" of the tires as it accelerates....

Shorter gearing would certain mean lots of TC intervention in first.

Quick Reply: Spyder tranny - first hand experience only poll