Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Nürburgring Nordschleife

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 09:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Totally agree!!! BMW's suspension tuning sucks *****. As does their traction/stability control systems.

I heard on a video that I watched recently on YouTube (however not sure how true it is) that the new M's are now using the MRC shocks that a lot of MFG's are using now including GM, Audi, Ford, Ferrari, Lambo. Also, on the new M (at least the Comp. model) they have multiple levels of traction control, which should fix that issue, but who knows if they have fixed their stability control system. In either case, I don't really care as M is now just a fast luxury sedan, there is no motorsport left in the new one. Way too heavy and no DCT.
you and I my friend are singing from the same song sheet on this one! and what's with the return to a tugboat slushbox torque converter transmission, cost?

on the MRC shocks, I am kinda surprised that Porsche, especially the GT division have not done this also!

Old 08-15-2021, 09:16 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you and I my friend are singing from the same song sheet on this one! and what's with the return to a tugboat slushbox torque converter transmission, cost?

on the MRC shocks, I am kinda surprised that Porsche, especially the GT division have not done this also!

I am kinda surprised Porsche isn't either, however maybe it is because they are using more of a true coil-over (at least on their GT cars). MRC is pretty great as a all in one solution, but I have found that on both my SS 1LE and my Audi TTRS that they handle all situations pretty well, but they are still not quite as quick to recover as a true performance coil-over is when it comes to that immediate recovery when upset.

Coming directly from my F80 M3 which I had Ohlin R/T's on to the SS 1LE you could tell in a fast sweeper with the suspension loaded up and hitting a bump mid-corner, the Ohlin's recovered quicker. I believe the same is true of the Bilstein's that the GT4 & GT3 use as well.

One caveat though is I have never driven a Ferrari or Lambo, and maybe the MRC on those are capable of having those quicker rebound recoveries and it is a programming thing. From my experience though, nothing has beat a true quality coil-over when it comes to the ultimate body/chassis control.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I am kinda surprised Porsche isn't either, however maybe it is because they are using more of a true coil-over (at least on their GT cars). MRC is pretty great as a all in one solution, but I have found that on both my SS 1LE and my Audi TTRS that they handle all situations pretty well, but they are still not quite as quick to recover as a true performance coil-over is when it comes to that immediate recovery when upset.

Coming directly from my F80 M3 which I had Ohlin R/T's on to the SS 1LE you could tell in a fast sweeper with the suspension loaded up and hitting a bump mid-corner, the Ohlin's recovered quicker. I believe the same is true of the Bilstein's that the GT4 & GT3 use as well.

One caveat though is I have never driven a Ferrari or Lambo, and maybe the MRC on those are capable of having those quicker rebound recoveries and it is a programming thing. From my experience though, nothing has beat a true quality coil-over when it comes to the ultimate body/chassis control.
this is very true - although I have always shied away from 2/3 way adjustable shocks because I was not confident that I could *learn* how to adjust them accordingly (i.e read the handling of the car with a certain setting and
alter that after the fact to "improve" things) ... I also am attracted to the concept of the DSC that can apply "near real time" adjustments to the suspension that a "static" manually adjustable system cannot account for ...

Quick Reply: Nürburgring Nordschleife