Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 05:39 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,583 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Ah, there is the RS mafia psychological warfare. lol Our concerns reduced to "hand wringing". I prefer "thoughtful waffling."

fxz: You need a better translator app. I have no idea what that last line is trying to communicate.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 06:09 PM
Jay Cordeiro
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Obviously would be a problem at COTA.
That can't be a rule the track has? Open top cars run there?
Old 08-24-2023, 06:21 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,742 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Sure fair enough...

Looks and aero Spyder RS
CLs, don't care about functionality I like the looks. I had a flat on my current Spyder and had it flat-bedded to 100 miles to an OPC coming back from a PCA Parade
Roof - prefer the RS. Had a Gen 1 for many years, so completely understand the process. It's no big deal and a blown out back is awesome...takes the same time as current roof to put the sun shade on. Looks better to boot!
Sound - prefer the RS. Too many comparisons to 4RS db levels, Spyder RS completely different
Roof limit -- for the occasional A-X or track day I'll figure it out. The limit wouldn't impact a local track I've been to...Obviously would be a problem at COTA.
Transmission - already prefer the PDK, RS will be even more epic
I live in the Texas Hill Country -- it's rural with very generous speed limits. Just like my current whip will be in the RL frequently.

There is one downside and it makes me sad. I'd prefer plain seat centers and the option of yellow deviated stitching as I'm 90% sure going with RY again.

I personally don't ponder things like is the Spyder RS "$100,000" better than my current Spyder. Is my current Spyder twice as good as the 987.2 Spyder I had? Is my watch 50 times better than a nice Seiko? My preferred Bourbon 5 times better than the distilleries "good stuff". Your wife ever shop for purses?...Lol you get the idea.

This is a emotionally charged purchase not some spreadsheet decision for me.

If you have to have a manual transmission, live at the track, or trying to understand the "value" component then I understand the hand wringing.
Thanks for your perspective, everybody looks at things a little different, and I understand that some of us don't need to factor cost into the equation. My comment regarding that was as much to draw out the things that you felt the SRS excelled at over the OG Spyder. FWIW I don't wear watches or pay for my wife's purses and she doesn't contribute to the car so I am left to ponder the value equation on my own.

You are correct it is very much an emotional purchase, which makes it tough for me, harder because I can't rationalize it through value in part or in whole, it just is what it is.
UncleDude (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 07:20 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,860 Likes on 923 Posts

Really seems like a lot of people trying to justify why they don't want one of these. I definitely do not have a line on an allocation. But I do expect allocations will be very challenging.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
JAhmed (08-24-2023), Jay Cordeiro (08-24-2023), n4v4nod (08-24-2023), TXshaggy (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 07:39 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,894 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Really seems like a lot of people trying to justify why they don't want one of these. I definitely do not have a line on an allocation. But I do expect allocations will be very challenging.
Yup. Just a lot of dudes that won't get one anyway.
MechEngr1287 (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 08:08 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 440 Likes on 263 Posts

del

Last edited by fxz; 08-25-2023 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,448 Likes on 2,531 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Ah, there is the RS mafia psychological warfare. lol Our concerns reduced to "hand wringing". I prefer "thoughtful waffling."

fxz: You need a better translator app. I have no idea what that last line is trying to communicate.
It's the usual thing:

- People who've decided they don't want the car have moved on and don't post in these threads anymore.

- People who've decided they definitely want the car don't wan to hear anything negative said about the car.

- People who are unsure if they want it are accused of being indecisive, unreasonable, confused, unable to appreciate it's greatness, can't actually afford it (because paying big ADM is off the table), experiencing FOMO, etc. But the reality is that some people just aren't sure they want such a specialized car.
Hwy (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 08:30 PM
manouk
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

As mentioned earlier this is an emotional purchase. If someone is debating what will value be down the line or how loud is it,how’s the roof, etc chances are this car is not for you and might be better left to those who really want the car no matter what not just because they can buy it.
TXshaggy (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 08:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,448 Likes on 2,531 Posts

Originally Posted by manouk
As mentioned earlier this is an emotional purchase. If someone is debating what will value be down the line or how loud is it,how’s the roof, etc chances are this car is not for you and might be better left to those who really want the car no matter what not just because they can buy it.
Fair point, but emotions lie on a continuum.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:41 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Assuming that is your CGT in the avatar photo, that might explain the ability to follow that process, good for you. A lot of the rest of us need to be a bit more pragmatic in our approach, even though it is with respect to a fun car.
maybe said a better way: I never trust I am going to know what cars are long-term keepers. My track record on that has been wrong more often than not based on assumptions pre-ownership. So I take the conservative approach that I better be ok with the downside of it being a short-term ownership experience because I haven’t been good at pre-judging that conclusion: CGT included. I thought CGT was a short-term purchase at a decent entry point, yet I’ve owned it as long/longer than anything, proving I suck at it either way. I tend to buy cars I hope I like for a long time but am realistic I have no f’ing clue til I own it. My fantasy purchase experience is to find EXACTLY what I want as a 1-car forever car and never tire of it. I’m still searching for that solution. Hence my signature.

PS don’t let the CGT fool you; zero chance I’d be able to pull the trigger on one today. I just got lucky I bought it at a good time and assumed I’d sell it before I got hurt too badly. Once I do tire of it I’m 90% confident I’ll never own anything in its stratosphere again. Also 90% sure I will end up with some form of a boxster over the long haul. Then again, my predictions on this sort of thing are wrong 90% of the time.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:46 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,583 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
maybe said a better way: I never trust I am going to know what cars are long-term keepers. My track record on that has been wrong more often than not based on assumptions pre-ownership. So I take the conservative approach that I better be ok with the downside of it being a short-term ownership experience because I haven’t been good at pre-judging that conclusion: CGT included. I thought CGT was a short-term purchase at a decent entry point, yet I’ve owned it as long/longer than anything, proving I suck at it either way. I tend to buy cars I hope I like for a long time but am realistic I have no f’ing clue til I own it. My fantasy purchase experience is to find EXACTLY what I want as a 1-car forever car and never tire of it. I’m still searching for that solution. Hence my signature.

PS don’t let the CGT fool you; zero chance I’d be able to pull the trigger on one today. I just got lucky I bought it at a good time and assumed I’d sell it before I got hurt too badly. Once I do tire of it I’m 90% confident I’ll never own anything in its stratosphere again. Also 90% sure I will end up with some form of a boxster over the long haul. Then again, my predictions on this sort of thing are wrong 90% of the time.
Stock broker?
Old 08-24-2023, 08:48 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Worse. Commodities trader.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jrtaylor9:
Adrift (08-24-2023), flynlo (08-28-2023), fxz (08-24-2023), JPMD (08-24-2023), McClown (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 08:55 PM
manouk
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Fair point, but emotions lie on a continuum.
granted. But imo whenever I’ve tried to rationalize a car purchase,that’s not a daily driver, it’s never worked out but when u see the one you want they tend to stay with you longer. There are always exceptions of course
Old 08-24-2023, 09:18 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

RS (steering) twitchiness? That's a new one. If anything, imo RS steering is not quick/"alive" enough.

Old 08-24-2023, 10:36 PM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
In my estimation, OG spyder wins in:
- Looks; missing completely-useless-for-road-driving boy racer ducting. Clean graceful lines. Lots of people chimed in on this initially, but I think they have been worn down by the "RS or bust" mafia. SRS top is very awkward looking when up, from the side. OG is butta. The ducktail is a small win for the SRS, but overall, the OG just looks cleaner and sexier. YMMV
- Top mechanics and practicality; 30 seconds is not the same as 2 minutes. not even close. The OG has one piece that moves into and out of place reliably. the srs top is an erector set which has a good feature (bimini top), but that doesn't make up for the awkward jankiness of it, imo. i could change my mind with exposure to bimini cruising, but I don't think I will ever think it is an actual plus overall. I drive in marginal conditions, so top response time is important. And if you care...you will look like an idiot trying to put that roof up in public. You just will. (except in the presence of Porsche sycophants, of course lol) And this doesn't even address the elephant in the room speed limitation on the SRS top. I don't think I could even drive the stupid SRS at my local PCA DE's. That's some serious BS right there.
- MT is huge. Cannot be overstated. Will the button pushing entertain enough to compensate? I don't think it will, but it's the cost of SRS entry.
- No friggin CL wheels. Totally worthless for the road, and a huge PITA if you get a flat. Putting these on road cars was a sad fail for Porsche, IMO. So much for function driving form.
- Interior options: Crazy limited options, currently. May change, but for now... No burmester, either (although I don't think it brings value in an SRS)
- Ability to not go deaf: If you're going to drive the SRS hard, your ears are going to pay. No avoiding it. I can drive my spyder hard and it doesn't become deafening. And why have these cars if you're not going to drive them hard?
- Price

Equal:
- suspension and brakes: They didn't change the mcpherson struts at all, and anyone saying the OG is under-braked (esp with PCCB) or handles poorly (outside the usual issues with those struts and camber) on the street is lying.
- Engine utility 90% of the time: unless you live in the Smokies or near a track, you aren't going to be able to access this engine's true glory much except on the occasional on-ramp. In that remaining 10% of the time, the gt3 motor will be in another league (not arguing this at all), but mostly they will be largely similar experiences.
- Steering: They dialed SRS back from RS twitchiness. How it compares to OG steering is unaddressed, but given people generally love the OG steering, I think I can assume these are at least equal.

One man's assessment, anyway.
Agreed. My ideal Spyder RS would be fitting that engine in a regular MT Spyder and add the bigger ducktail for looks. Period. All of the rest is not that appealing to me.
The following 3 users liked this post by IRM:
Bill_76 (08-25-2023), SpyderSwede (08-25-2023), stmblaster (08-25-2023)

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread