Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 11:33 AM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Opinions on this Guards / silver(alu wheels) / black theme? Red or silver stitched roof?

not a fan of the trim body color. Brushed aluminum or carbon fiber would be x100 times better IMO. I would go with carbon fiber for sure with all the other CF parts.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 01:16 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 958 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Was this posted? They talk about the livability of the car, which could translate to the SRS in some ways.

https://youtu.be/dKZlKUv_hAA
I prefer the meaty low/midrange sound of the base engine intake, at least on video. It growls with a visceral resonance. Not sure if that metallic scream over 8k RPM's would become addicting or fatiguing. It's a throwback to the engines that changed sound near redline but I'm already getting tired of hearing it. Closing on a house next month with a 4 car garage so I'll have an empty space and will be adding something fun. Still not sure about the SRS.
Old 08-23-2023, 01:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,448 Likes on 2,531 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
I prefer the meaty low/midrange sound of the base engine intake, at least on video. It growls with a visceral resonance. Not sure if that metallic scream over 8k RPM's would become addicting or fatiguing. It's a throwback to the engines that changed sound near redline but I'm already getting tired of hearing it. Closing on a house next month with a 4 car garage so I'll have an empty space and will be adding something fun. Still not sure about the SRS.
My 991.1 GT3 had the metallic scream at the top of the rev range. It was impressive, but I could rarely get the revs that high on the road because the speeds would get too high, plus the car would be so loud that it would it draw too much attention. But on the track, the sound of the car was divine. If I get an SRS, realistically, I expect that the I'll rarely get the revs above 6-7k.
Old 08-23-2023, 01:49 PM
BerryS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m curious as to no WP? I much prefer the all-leather dash to the WP-mandated RaceTex. Otherwise the WP is appealing to me. Hence, I’m trying to decide between the choices.

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I’m either doing black to hide all the cut-outs and black plastic better or red cause I just love it, busy-ness be damned. No wp either way.
Old 08-23-2023, 04:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Ran across this immaculate beauty sitting out in a parking lot for a long time. I wouldn’t do it.

Old 08-23-2023, 04:43 PM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
If I get an SRS, realistically, I expect that the I'll rarely get the revs above 6-7k.
Which would be a shame and almost a waste since it seems like the sweetest part of that motor is going from 8-9k and then banging off a PDK shift. What a satisfying noise that seems to make.
Old 08-23-2023, 05:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Which would be a shame and almost a waste since it seems like the sweetest part of that motor is going from 8-9k and then banging off a PDK shift. What a satisfying noise that seems to make.
To make matters worse, my wife asked me to move the 991.2 C4S cab (pdk), so I decided to take it for a drive, top down, windows down, wind screen down. The car is plenty fast, playful and fun near the limit with a strong front end (doesn't understeer), fast shifting with the paddles, good automatic shifting in the three modes, sounds good, looks great, versatile, and about half the price of a new SRS. I'm struggling to explain to myself why I need or even want an SRS. Really only makes sense to try it if I get it at MSRP and the market value is such that I can try it for a while 'for free'.
Old 08-23-2023, 06:21 PM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 189 Posts

To make matters worse, my wife asked me to move the 991.2 C4S cab (pdk), so I decided to take it for a drive, top down, windows down, wind screen down. The car is plenty fast, playful and fun near the limit with a strong front end (doesn't understeer), fast shifting with the paddles, good automatic shifting in the three modes, sounds good, looks great, versatile, and about half the price of a new SRS. I'm struggling to explain to myself why I need or even want an SRS. Really only makes sense to try it if I get it at MSRP and the market value is such that I can try it for a while 'for free'.
I mean if you're not revving it out or driving the **** out of it and just want a PDK drop top there's a nice 987.2 in Malachite Green in the classifieds here right now. In any case all of these things are about want not need, but sure enjoying a new toy for free if you can find MSRP is a great position to be in.
Old 08-23-2023, 07:02 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Yeah nobody needs anything mentioned anywhere on Rennlist.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jrtaylor9:
MaddMike (08-24-2023), ToasterThief (08-24-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 07:02 PM
geistspyder
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I need to have some intelligent feedback, so please give me your thoughts. I have a good chance at a Spyder RS allocation at msrp, however my budget is such that I can only keep 1 car. I have a 987.2 spyder.
Do I order a lower priced SRS in hopes that I enjoy it enought to sell the 987 or do I order a higher priced with wp, pccb and pts and drive it for a while keeping the 987 and then selling the SRS?
I am not sure that my wife will enjoy the carbon seats and the noise, but it could be a wash with either car if sold, maybe a gain, not sure.
Thoughts??
Old 08-23-2023, 07:52 PM
rsch
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by geistspyder
I need to have some intelligent feedback, so please give me your thoughts. I have a good chance at a Spyder RS allocation at msrp, however my budget is such that I can only keep 1 car. I have a 987.2 spyder.
Do I order a lower priced SRS in hopes that I enjoy it enought to sell the 987 or do I order a higher priced with wp, pccb and pts and drive it for a while keeping the 987 and then selling the SRS?
I am not sure that my wife will enjoy the carbon seats and the noise, but it could be a wash with either car if sold, maybe a gain, not sure.
Thoughts??
If you really can get one at MRSP, do It ASAP and get rid of the 987.
ATB
Roberto
The following 2 users liked this post by rsch:
geistspyder (08-23-2023), Gorthaur (08-24-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 08:14 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,742 Posts

Thoughts??
I have the same answer for both of you, don't struggle to decide and save yourself a lot of headaches, keep what you have and let a true Spyder enthusiast buy the SRS, it sounds like both of you are simply looking to get one because you heard others are, classic FOMO!
Old 08-23-2023, 08:17 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

I have a good chance at a Spyder RS allocation at msrp,
People getting these at MSRP know they’re getting one at MSRP.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I have the same answer for both of you, don't struggle to decide and save yourself a lot of headaches, keep what you have and let a true Spyder enthusiast buy the SRS, it sounds like both of you are simply looking to get one because you heard others are, classic FOMO!
It's not FOMO, it's more that I do like open top cars and if I can try this thing 'for free', why not? But if I can get a 4RS, I think I'd pass on the SRS.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:26 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,742 Posts

It's not FOMO, it's more that I do like open top cars and if I can try this thing 'for free', why not? But if I can get a 4RS, I think I'd pass on the SRS.
Perhaps because your answer always seems to be "because you can", and then you immediately follow with that you would rather have a 4RS.

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread