Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023 | 04:52 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

wow reviews came out and the car is amazing... shocker
Old 08-08-2023 | 05:00 PM
dmboone25
Pro

Originally Posted by smilin
as an owner of a “conservative” white spyder, i think you should get your allocation taken away if you try to order an RS in white. RED. YELLOW. ORANGE. yes, even RUBYSTAR. WILD!
I am bummed that there's no CWM option - I don't like any of the "free" colors....
Old 08-08-2023 | 05:41 PM
smilin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmboone25
I am bummed that there's no CWM option - I don't like any of the "free" colors....
that’s how i chose white. my slot (which i was VERY happy to receive) came available in the little gap where miami blue (my #1 n/c choice) was no longer available and before shark blue became available (which is not really for me…neither is gentian)

it does look terrific in white!
Old 08-08-2023 | 07:29 PM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

I have a confirmed build for this October but no pts for 23 builds

I am tempted to cancel the order and go back on list for a 24 pts slot but no one can assure it as 24 allocation will be out later in mid Autumn
what woould you do? After all current colors are ..how to say ? Basic?

Last edited by fxz; 08-08-2023 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2023 | 07:34 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz

I am tempted to cancel the order and go back on list for a 24 pts slot but no one can assure it as 24 allocation will be out later in mid Autumn
Where are you located?
Old 08-08-2023 | 07:40 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz

If you already have other fun cars and are okay waiting I would take a chance with a 24 slot for PTS. But I'm a bit of a PTS ***** with my 4RS being PTS and my 981 GT4.
Old 08-08-2023 | 07:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by fxz

Take the allocation and pick your favorite color from the available options. 'Favorite color' means the color you will dislike the smallest percentage of the time when you're looking at the car.
Old 08-08-2023 | 08:58 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Thoughts on this color?

Last edited by Tracky; 08-09-2023 at 01:05 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Tracky:
IRM (08-08-2023), Manifold (08-08-2023), Marcus799 (08-08-2023), MechEngr1287 (08-17-2023), UncleDude (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 09:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by 348SStb
What’s amazing is how useless these articles are. They all say the same thing.

What they DON’T provide is any practical comparison. For example not a single one discusses how it’s different than a 718 Spyder. I think we’ve all had enough of the obvious: there’s no manual.

But not a single article discusses how it’s different than 718 or 981 Spyder. They don’t compare it against 991 Speedster. They don’t compare it against some of our favorite cars of the recent past. They don’t cross-compare its handling characteristics to the best cars of today. For example: “The handling of the Spyder RS is so complete, as its driver you’d be hard pressed to be out-done in the canyons by even a Ferrari 296 or the mighty Z06 Corvette.” But no. Just fluff.
I've been thinking a lot about this comment. It really rings true. The reviews have really told me nothing that helps me decide whether I should buy the car. It handles really well, sounds good and pretty loud, fasting shifting, decent ride quality, fast when you wind it up - it all results in the car being fun to drive if you can drive pretty fast on the right roads. But this description applies to so many cars.

I was driving my 991.2 C2S cab today, and I thought the car is plenty fast, handles well, comfortable, sounds good enough, and doesn't have a personality that beckons you to drive like a maniac, instead encouraging you to pay attention to taking in the environment; do I need a car which is much louder and comparatively manic, with a cumbersome top? Then later I drove the manual Cayman R and I appreciated how light the car feels, how well it handles, how it has just the right amount of power for the road, the hydraulic steering, and the engagement of manual; will the SRS really add much value, as a road car, beyond the Cayman R?

Part of me feels pulled by the gravity of the SRS (i.e., the Porsche, RL, and self-induced marketing hype), and part of me says 'no, you don't need it, the cars you have cover the bases, and each is better than the SRS in some ways'. Confused ...
Old 08-08-2023 | 09:38 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rcfun33
The GT4/Spyder/GT4 RS/Spyder RS are all 30mm lower than the base boxster/cayman. This is about 1.2". I have no idea where 2.0" comes from. There seems to be a lot of misinformation/confusion around the ride height.
please provide your references. Multiple articles from multiple large publishers have all said the SRS sits higher than the GT4RS. All these major journalist get a lecture from porsche about the details of the car in addition to the test drive.

Unless you can provide definitive references, I’m going to believe the multiple and consistent professional journalist reports with access to inside Porsche information…..not what a random guy says on RL.

Last edited by Drifting; 08-08-2023 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2023 | 09:48 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
please provide your references. Multiple articles from multiple large publishers have all said the SRS sits higher than the GT4RS. All these major journalist get a lecture from porsche about the details of the car in addition to the test drive.

Unless you can provide definitive references, I’m going to believe the multiple and consistent professional journalist reports with access to inside Porsche information…..not what a random guy says on RL.
check out post 5226….. your major journalists are wrong, and you are also a random guy on rennlist LOL
The following users liked this post:
SpyderSwede (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023 | 04:06 AM
rooster17
Pro

Originally Posted by Drifting

Pics below pulled straight from Porsche. Car height .6” difference and can probably be explained by the difference in roof construction. Approach/departure angles be are very close with only a .1* difference in front. Assumption is approach is different as the SRS has a different front splitter. What I don’t know is how much height change is required to change these values. I would not guess much.

Old 08-09-2023 | 07:42 AM
Hwy
Instructor

^ seems same same to me
Old 08-09-2023 | 07:47 AM
Hwy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manifold
I've been thinking a lot about this comment. It really rings true. The reviews have really told me nothing that helps me decide whether I should buy the car. It handles really well, sounds good and pretty loud, fasting shifting, decent ride quality, fast when you wind it up - it all results in the car being fun to drive if you can drive pretty fast on the right roads. But this description applies to so many cars.

I was driving my 991.2 C2S cab today, and I thought the car is plenty fast, handles well, comfortable, sounds good enough, and doesn't have a personality that beckons you to drive like a maniac, instead encouraging you to pay attention to taking in the environment; do I need a car which is much louder and comparatively manic, with a cumbersome top? Then later I drove the manual Cayman R and I appreciated how light the car feels, how well it handles, how it has just the right amount of power for the road, the hydraulic steering, and the engagement of manual; will the SRS really add much value, as a road car, beyond the Cayman R?

Part of me feels pulled by the gravity of the SRS (i.e., the Porsche, RL, and self-induced marketing hype), and part of me says 'no, you don't need it, the cars you have cover the bases, and each is better than the SRS in some ways'. Confused ...
I drove a buddy's 991.2 GTS manual yesterday, and then I drove my 997.2 C2 manual today. Then drove my 4RS. All on public roads.
Trust me- very very different enough to warrant a mid-engine car with the bestest P engine shoved into it. As you say, the size, weight, and engine placement make your Cayman R feel really different from the 99x cars. I have also driven a 992 GT3 PDK on the same roads, with comfort seats- and again this felt super different to the mid platform. Turn in, rotation, and acceleration out of corners just feels like it is happening around a different pivot point.

Get your SRS in white. I am thinking I will go the same spec as what you are thinking.
Old 08-09-2023 | 07:57 AM
Koizami
Instructor

Why haven't I seen any friends spec with GT Silver? It should be the most popular color for GT cars and you can't go wrong with it

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread