Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Add a subwoofer to stock stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 01:24 PM
Goodwood
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

Wow, that's definitely overkill for my music, but nice!!
Old 08-15-2021, 01:44 PM
2seats
Racer

Received 232 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by bradStyle
Or you can have them build a rectangular box for two 10 inch subs like I did. Thanks Musicar NW.

Two 10"s with about 800W driving them.
That’s crazy haha. What spec cayman is this? Is it a GT4?
Old 08-15-2021, 01:45 PM
2seats
Racer

Originally Posted by Goodwood
Wow, that's definitely overkill for my music, but nice!!
Your morning talk radio would be bumpin
The following 2 users liked this post by 2seats:
bradStyle (08-15-2021), Goodwood (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 02:15 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 117 Posts

Or you can have them build a rectangular box for two 10 inch subs like I did. Thanks Musicar NW.

Two 10"s with about 800W driving them.
That's a nice setup! So can you offer more details on the scope of work?
Old 08-15-2021, 04:20 PM
bradStyle
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sonicworld
That's a nice setup! So can you offer more details on the scope of work?
Sure. So I'd like to start by saying I know that "GT" means something different to each of us. There are those here who would gladly delete their A/C and their AM/FM radio if it meant saving a few pounds. I think I'm mostly on the other side of that spectrum. For me, a consummate driving experience also includes my favorite music, and as this vehicle is also a weekend getaway car on occasion, I'm already adding in my wife and a couple of overnight bags, so a bit of sound damping material and a couple of low profile subs in the back isn't so much of an additional hardship.

This being my first Porsche and having started off with the Burmester system, I quickly realized that I wasn't satisfied with the quality I was hearing, so I turned to Musicar NW for some help. These guys have clients all over the country, you will find some beautiful examples of their work if you search RL. We settled on their Stage Three 718 Reference Audio Package with a few tweaks and upgrades. We used Morel MT350 Tweeters, Morel Elate 3.5" Midranges, and their awesome Morel Elate Carbon 9" Woofers *in the doors*. Driving these is a Mosconi Gladen One 90.8 Eight-channel DSP Amp. We also used a Mosconi ATOMO 2 Two-channel Micro Amp with the existing Burmester rear speakers for some fill. For the sub-bass we used a pair of Audison APS 10" S4S Shallow Subwoofers with a Mosconi Pico 1 Amp. About 1,700 watts in total for the system. We added about 35lbs of SoundShield Pro damping materials to the floor and the doors. I was clear with the shop that I wanted to reduce road noise, not engine noise. Otherwise I was finding that sound from the road was drowning out the mid-bass levels and I was having to turn the treble down so I could have enough volume to hear the mid-bass clearly without the highs hurting my ears. The SoundShield has allowed me to play my music at lower volume levels while still hearing everything. My instructions regarding the custom sub-enclosure was to keep it looking stock, and I'm very happy with the results. I only use the frunk for travel storage anyway, so I don't miss the space. I have a sub-woofer control **** stealth installed in the ash tray now.

It sounds fantastic. There is still plenty of feedback from the engine and the road, so there's no feeling of disconnection whatsoever. I feel that I've got both the SQ and the acoustic driving feedback perfectly balanced for my tastes now. I know everyone's mileage may vary on this subject, and this system is not what a majority of members here on RL would want, but personally I'm very happy with how things turned out. It's an absolute joy to drive.

Last edited by bradStyle; 08-15-2021 at 04:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bradStyle:
Dan Nagy (08-16-2021), StilettoPat (08-16-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 04:26 PM
bradStyle
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2seats
That’s crazy haha. What spec cayman is this? Is it a GT4?
2021 GTS 4.0.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:59 PM
2seats
Racer

Sure. So I'd like to start by saying I know that "GT" means something different to each of us. There are those here who would gladly delete their A/C and their AM/FM radio if it meant saving a few pounds. I think I'm mostly on the other side of that spectrum. For me, a consummate driving experience also includes my favorite music, and as this vehicle is also a weekend getaway car on occasion, I'm already adding in my wife and a couple of overnight bags, so a bit of sound damping material and a couple of low profile subs in the back isn't so much of an additional hardship.

This being my first Porsche and having started off with the Burmester system, I quickly realized that I wasn't satisfied with the quality I was hearing, so I turned to Musicar NW for some help. These guys have clients all over the country, you will find some beautiful examples of their work if you search RL. We settled on their Stage Three 718 Reference Audio Package with a few tweaks and upgrades. We used Morel MT350 Tweeters, Morel Elate 3.5" Midranges, and their awesome Morel Elate Carbon 9" Woofers *in the doors*. Driving these is a Mosconi Gladen One 90.8 Eight-channel DSP Amp. We also used a Mosconi ATOMO 2 Two-channel Micro Amp with the existing Burmester rear speakers for some fill. For the sub-bass we used a pair of Audison APS 10" S4S Shallow Subwoofers with a Mosconi Pico 1 Amp. About 1,700 watts in total for the system. We added about 35lbs of SoundShield Pro damping materials to the floor and the doors. I was clear with the shop that I wanted to reduce road noise, not engine noise. Otherwise I was finding that sound from the road was drowning out the mid-bass levels and I was having to turn the treble down so I could have enough volume to hear the mid-bass clearly without the highs hurting my ears. The SoundShield has allowed me to play my music at lower volume levels while still hearing everything. My instructions regarding the custom sub-enclosure was to keep it looking stock, and I'm very happy with the results. I only use the frunk for travel storage anyway, so I don't miss the space. I have a sub-woofer control **** stealth installed in the ash tray now.

It sounds fantastic. There is still plenty of feedback from the engine and the road, so there's no feeling of disconnection whatsoever. I feel that I've got both the SQ and the acoustic driving feedback perfectly balanced for my tastes now. I know everyone's mileage may vary on this subject, and this system is not what a majority of members here on RL would want, but personally I'm very happy with how things turned out. It's an absolute joy to drive.
You have a lot of very high quality gear in that car. You had me drooling at “8’s in the doors”.

I have no desire to go high end hifi in my GT4 but I just got an Alfa Giulia for a daily driver. I have an urge to slam it to the ground with coil overs and do a system similar to yours. You selected a lot of the same gear I would go for.
The following users liked this post:
bradStyle (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 05:00 PM
bradStyle
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2seats
You have a lot of very high quality gear in that car. You had me drooling at “8’s in the doors”.
Thanks. And just to be clear about that, those are 9's in the doors
Old 08-15-2021, 05:03 PM
2seats
Racer

I have no words
bradStyle (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 07:03 PM
sonicworld
Pro

My SA told me the Burmester was not worth it but some folks here think it's pretty decent. Obviously you would agree with my SA. I live in MA and I don't think we have the caliber of installers you do on the West coast. Feeling like maybe I should stick with the Bose and call it a day; any advice for someone who enjoys decent sounding tunes in a CGTS?

Last edited by sonicworld; 08-15-2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:45 PM
bradStyle
Instructor

Originally Posted by sonicworld
My SA told me the Burmester was not worth it but some folks here think it's pretty decent. Obviously you would agree with my SA. I live in MA and I don't think we have the caliber of installers you do on the West coast. Feeling like maybe I should stick with the Bose and call it a day; any advice for someone who enjoys decent sounding tunes in a CGTS?
Audio enjoyment is such a subjective experience, no one can really answer definitively for someone else. In my opinion it really depends on if you care about keeping the vehicle stock, and how much you are willing to pay. If you want it stock and don't want to pay a lot, the Bose is a pretty great system for the money. If you want it stock and don't mind paying more, then the Burmester is quite a bit better than the Bose, though people will rightfully argue that it's not worth as much more as they charge. If you don't care about keeping it stock, but don't want to spend a lot I'd probably still recommend the Bose, it's really good value and you can always upgrade it later. If you don't care about keeping it stock and have at least the cost of the Burmester to put into it I would get the crappy stock system and then turn to the after market for whatever your budget will handle. I'm sure there is at least one great installer in New England within a three hour radius.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:51 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Audio enjoyment is such a subjective experience, no one can really answer definitively for someone else. In my opinion it really depends on if you care about keeping the vehicle stock, and how much you are willing to pay. If you want it stock and don't want to pay a lot, the Bose is a pretty great system for the money. If you want it stock and don't mind paying more, then the Burmester is quite a bit better than the Bose, though people will rightfully argue that it's not worth as much more as they charge. If you don't care about keeping it stock, but don't want to spend a lot I'd probably still recommend the Bose, it's really good value and you can always upgrade it later. If you don't care about keeping it stock and have at least the cost of the Burmester to put into it I would get the crappy stock system and then turn to the after market for whatever your budget will handle. I'm sure there is at least one great installer in New England within a three hour radius.
That is very helpful. Can you articulate in what ways the Burmester excels over the Bose in the 718? And what was it about your Burmester experience that left you wanting more?
Old 08-16-2021, 06:58 AM
Goodwood
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

Back on topic, who else has upgraded their SSP (stock stereo) in their 718? I'm definitely looking at doing the Focal 8" powered sub, but has anyone retrofitted the other speakers?
Old 08-16-2021, 11:19 AM
2seats
Racer

Originally Posted by Goodwood
Back on topic, who else has upgraded their SSP (stock stereo) in their 718? I'm definitely looking at doing the Focal 8" powered sub, but has anyone retrofitted the other speakers?
The focal powered sub was just an example. It may not be a good enclosure for the cayman. It may be more suited to under the seat in a truck. Your best bet is to work with a very good shop. There are many powered subs they could order for you. They could also build something small that looks stock and is easily removeable.

Even though I posted it as an example, I don’t think it’s a great solution for the cayman.

Find a very good shop and talk to them about what kind of music you like etc.
Goodwood (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:26 AM
2seats
Racer

Here is an idea:

There is a company named Audiofrog that is making some of the best speakers on the market right now. Contact them and ask who there best dealer in SE Florida is. Then you are probably getting a very competent shop. You won’t necessarily have to go with Audiofrog as the shop will likely carry multiple high end brands. I would start there. The installer and equipment selection is the most important thing.
Goodwood (08-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Add a subwoofer to stock stereo?