Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Akrapovic Link Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 03:23 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
maybe the JCR silencer is doing an amazing job...

while sound is vey subjective, its my opinion that the filter matrix resonators in the OEM OAPs are acting as very effective silencers, once you replace them with a straight thru design OAP you are basically
moving the job of sound mitigation to the exhaust itself ...

Once the valves open on my car circa 4k rpm the resulting sound is great, but it gets tiresome very very quickly ... again subjectively.
Larry can you remind me, did you try the stock OAP’s and the aftermarket muffler together?
Old 06-26-2021, 03:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Larry can you remind me, did you try the stock OAP’s and the aftermarket muffler together?
Nope that was my mistake, but a matter of cost of installation
Old 06-26-2021, 04:29 PM
Wei718
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

Link pipes are off the car. Preferably someone in the Bay Area grab these I can even help out with the install if anyone is up to it.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wei718

Link pipes are off the car. Preferably someone in the Bay Area grab these I can even help out with the install if anyone is up to it.
I note from the picture above that the OAPs are using what looks like the OEM studs to connect to the exhaust, did you have to loosen the exhaust in order to get the OAPs out?
Old 06-26-2021, 09:18 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,695 Likes on 2,732 Posts

I note from the picture above that the OAPs are using what looks like the OEM studs to connect to the exhaust, did you have to loosen the exhaust in order to get the OAPs out?
​​​​Not @Wei718 , but mine came with the OEM studs so yes you have to pull off the exhaust to get these in or out... or at least I did.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:25 AM
xero404
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m interested and located in the north bay
Old 07-09-2021, 12:49 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
I installed Akra OAP only on my car and was hoping for a small bump in volume (also have Cargraphic valve controller). It got significantly louder than I thought to be honest. It certainly sounds nice, just a bit more decibels than I had imagined.

Before with stock exhaust, even with the valves open, the car was flying under the radar quite easily. Now I have to close the valves to avoid getting attention from cops lol!
I am surprised that OAP alone make THAT much of a difference. Most say that it just increased volume a bit and makes it sound more free flowing.

I wonder if different OAP are treated differently as far as sound levels. I know Akra are Titanium and Soul's are Stainless. I wonder if that makes a difference.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,695 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I am surprised that OAP alone make THAT much of a difference. Most say that it just increased volume a bit and makes it sound more free flowing.

I wonder if different OAP are treated differently as far as sound levels. I know Akra are Titanium and Soul's are Stainless. I wonder if that makes a difference.
I don't know what most say, and don't recall many saying the volume increase was minimal either... my experiences are to expect a significant/noticable increase in volume and intensity.

As for stainless versus titanium, out the pipe the sound should be similar but from the side the thinner lighter titanium will be noisier as the pipe itself will transmit sound.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I don't know what most say, and don't recall many saying the volume increase was minimal either... my experiences are to expect a significant/noticable increase in volume and intensity.

As for stainless versus titanium, out the pipe the sound should be similar but from the side the thinner lighter titanium will be noisier as the pipe itself will transmit sound.

my guess is that the OEM filter matrix and its associated enclosure really do effectively silence the engine, the straight pipe design of Akra/Soul etc simply provide no silencing whatsoever...

my new cargraphic OAPs are stuck in customs but should be here next week ...

Old 07-09-2021, 08:09 PM
Wei718
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

my guess is that the OEM filter matrix and its associated enclosure really do effectively silence the engine, the straight pipe design of Akra/Soul etc simply provide no silencing whatsoever...

my new cargraphic OAPs are stuck in customs but should be here next week ...
About damn time! Let me know if you need some help. New owner for my Akrapovic pipes are extremely happy!
Old 07-09-2021, 08:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

About damn time! Let me know if you need some help. New owner for my Akrapovic pipes are extremely happy!
will do!

Quick Reply: Akrapovic Link Pipes