Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

LWBS - I’m so sorry

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 06:49 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 271 Posts
Default LWBS - I’m so sorry

LWBS, I’m sorry I’ve been bashing you for ages. On Saturday, I drove 6 hours in my 2020 MT 18-way seat GT4 and traded it in for 2021 PDK with LWBS and drove it back 6 hours, talk about a true test to see if the LWBS will kill you or not, and damn, I was beyond floored. Not only did I feel fantastic after 6hr drive, I actually think it’s better vs the 18-way seats. Go figure?

I have lower back issues, never imaged this outcome. Incredible seats

Please note, I had dealer install Trackspec seat recliners and I added some lumbar cushion.
The following 5 users liked this post by Porsche444:
AlexCeres (07-07-2021), alwaysdriving (07-08-2021), LnC993 (07-06-2021), porscheflat6 (07-07-2021), Zeus993 (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 07:02 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,099 Likes on 537 Posts

I would agree. An after market bracket with additional recline and a little extra padding, and they are great. Feels like a custom formed seat for my frame.
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 07:28 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Depends on the body type and person. I fit them well, and the upright seating position is exactly how I like to sit… but I like to be able to move around on trips. No way I’d be comfortable on a long trip in them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
Alpha Ice (07-08-2021), Chacmool (07-07-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 07:51 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

I don't think many complained about them not being comfortable. The issue with them for most is the ingress / digress. If you use the car with any sort of frequency and it is not just a toy, getting in and MOSTLY out of those seats is not a fun process.

You throw in the occasion back or injury issues that come up as we age and you can even find yourself in a position of not being able to get in or out of them at all.

As a track toy and a 2nd or 3rd car they are perfect, but not so much if you want to daily it or as some do (me included) use it as your only car.
manual_laborer (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 09:17 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
I would agree. An after market bracket with additional recline and a little extra padding, and they are great. Feels like a custom formed seat for my frame.
Says the guy with a BMI of what, 20?

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I don't think many complained about them not being comfortable. The issue with them for most is the ingress / digress. If you use the car with any sort of frequency and it is not just a toy, getting in and MOSTLY out of those seats is not a fun process.
You throw in the occasion back or injury issues that come up as we age and you can even find yourself in a position of not being able to get in or out of them at all.
As a track toy and a 2nd or 3rd car they are perfect, but not so much if you want to daily it or as some do (me included) use it as your only car.
This is the best answer to me. When my wife's car is in the garage, my door will only open to the first stop. The LWB's would make that a worse nightmare to climb over for me.
You may have a luxury garage where space is not an issue. I once had a garage like that, then I moved to Texas.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:28 PM
manual_laborer
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 50 Posts

Agree with the OP, I have a 718 Spyder with buckets and a 992 with 18 ways and the buckets feel better on my lower back, even with the Spyder’s harder suspension.

Also agree with others in here that the only bad part of the buckets is getting in and out. Especially for the Spyder when you have to get in and out to put the top up, it’s not the best. Until I remember that I’m being inconvenienced by carbon fiber bucket seats making it less comfortable to put the top up on my Porsche convertible and then I suck it up and remember that life is great and every day is a gift.
The following 3 users liked this post by manual_laborer:
DFW01TT (07-06-2021), Racer20 (07-07-2021), T i h o r (07-07-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 09:38 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

Keep the butt planted against the back of the seat, no slouching, and you will be rewarded.

Do some tricep crunches if your having difficulty getting in/out.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:42 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 271 Posts

I always read about how to get in/out of buckets, so now with my 5th Porsche and first car with LWBS, I used the left arm pivot process and it works fantastic. Also noticed if u slide seat back, gives you more room for feet, but only used it a few times. Was too lazy to slide it back.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:30 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche444
LWBS, I’m sorry I’ve been bashing you for ages. On Saturday, I drove 6 hours in my 2020 MT 18-way seat GT4 and traded it in for 2021 PDK with LWBS and drove it back 6 hours, talk about a true test to see if the LWBS will kill you or not, and damn, I was beyond floored. Not only did I feel fantastic after 6hr drive, I actually think it’s better vs the 18-way seats. Go figure?

I have lower back issues, never imaged this outcome. Incredible seats

Please note, I had dealer install Trackspec seat recliners and I added some lumbar cushion.
So you do not have the seats you ordered - take away the stuff you changed and see if feel the same after 6 hours.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 07-06-2021 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:46 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts
Default ATTENTION SPYDER OWNERS: Leave the damn top off!

Originally Posted by manual_laborer
Agree with the OP, I have a 718 Spyder with buckets and a 992 with 18 ways and the buckets feel better on my lower back, even with the Spyder’s harder suspension.

Also agree with others in here that the only bad part of the buckets is getting in and out. Especially for the Spyder when you have to get in and out to put the top up, it’s not the best. Until I remember that I’m being inconvenienced by carbon fiber bucket seats making it less comfortable to put the top up on my Porsche convertible and then I suck it up and remember that life is great and every day is a gift.
ATTENTION SPYDER OWNERS - getting into LWBS is a breeze... ... with the top off (which IMO is the natural state of a Spyder!).

So leave the damn top off so you get in and out of the LWBS with ease. I kid you not!

P.s. GT4 owners? Sorry, the ingress and egress will be a bit of a challenge, but worth it in the end!
The following 3 users liked this post by Zeus993:
2XIPA (07-08-2021), DFW01TT (07-06-2021), Jeff Jones (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

LWBS are the shizzle. Wouldn’t own a Porsche sports car without em.
Dr.Bill (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:28 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
ATTENTION SPYDER OWNERS - getting into LWBS is a breeze... ... with the top off (which IMO is the natural state of a Spyder!).

So leave the damn top off so you get in and out of the LWBS with ease. I kid you not!

P.s. GT4 owners? Sorry, the ingress and egress will be a bit of a challenge, but worth it in the end!
stop being prissy and just sit on the side bolster. Then rotate and slide in. Ooo the leather wah. Daily a gt4 is not for people who freak over minor wear and tear. The splitter and diffuser aren’t going to stay pristine. It’s all consumables. It’ll be okay.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
DFW01TT (07-07-2021), maf401 (07-12-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 02:01 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

The best seats they make.
And easy to get in and out of once you learn the simple technique.
Buy a lotus, it will help with appreciation of the full bucket seats!
Old 07-07-2021, 02:24 AM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

The moaning and wailing about these seats on this forum is ridiculous. I'm glad I ignored it when I specced my car.

The LWB seats in my GT4 are, without any modification, more comfortable than the 18-way sport seats in my previous 718 Boxster GTS and no harder to get in and out of. I am always careful to avoid dragging my *** over the bolster when getting into sports cars and the LWBs are no different. It does require an (extremely minimal) level of physical fitness, yes. If you are at the point in your life where you avoid sitting down on the floor because you're worried about getting back up - okay, sure, maybe skip them.

I have spent several 8-hour days in the car. Initially I thought they were too upright and was planning on installing recline angle brackets but after a day or two I got used to it and never thought about it again. No issues wearing a helmet on track, either (I'm 6'1", 210 pounds, and wear an XL helmet).

Entry and exit is a non-issue even with limited space to open the door. Again, no worse than the 18-way seats. Put your right foot in the footwell, your left hand on the doorsill, start lowering yourself in, and use your right hand on the armrest to help stabilize. Lift your left leg over the door sill before you fully drop into the seat.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:10 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
The moaning and wailing about these seats on this forum is ridiculous. I'm glad I ignored it when I specced my car.

The LWB seats in my GT4 are, without any modification, more comfortable than the 18-way sport seats in my previous 718 Boxster GTS and no harder to get in and out of. I am always careful to avoid dragging my *** over the bolster when getting into sports cars and the LWBs are no different. It does require an (extremely minimal) level of physical fitness, yes. If you are at the point in your life where you avoid sitting down on the floor because you're worried about getting back up - okay, sure, maybe skip them.

I have spent several 8-hour days in the car. Initially I thought they were too upright and was planning on installing recline angle brackets but after a day or two I got used to it and never thought about it again. No issues wearing a helmet on track, either (I'm 6'1", 210 pounds, and wear an XL helmet).

Entry and exit is a non-issue even with limited space to open the door. Again, no worse than the 18-way seats. Put your right foot in the footwell, your left hand on the doorsill, start lowering yourself in, and use your right hand on the armrest to help stabilize. Lift your left leg over the door sill before you fully drop into the seat.
Now thats ridiculous. Of course the LWBS are harder to get in an out of or there wouldnt be countless threads describing how to get in and out of them! Plus, when you actually have to 'mod' a seat with reclining bracket and a cushion and side protection.... uh I think there is a problem. Ive tried both quite a bit and am really happy with the 18 ways...

Quick Reply: LWBS - I’m so sorry