Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Clutch Slippage and Failure Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021 | 03:12 PM
OldRallyist
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT4Pat
Yes this part is still used on the 718. Its built into the slave cylinder. Under aggressive driving, IE quick left foot release this device controls the fluid return rate to the clutch master cylinder... It is done to keep you from breaking the tranny or axles... If you slip it a handful of times it starts doing it all the time. I had the issue on my 2016 GT4 as well..... Im going PDK to get rid of the issue, its annoying and it gets worse when the motor is hot.... good luck... I have heard of at least (4) low mileage cars with the same issue.
I ended up selling my 718 Spyder because of this issue. It was apparent if I continued to agressively drive it at autocross it would soon be necessary to replace the clutch. In addition the Spyder with the manual transmission was simply not competitive in either PCA or SCCA events against PDK equipped Porsches or manual equipped competitors with more appropriate (shorter) gear sets. I made out ok on the sale in that the car sold for the same amount as originally paid including tax and license.
Old 12-06-2021 | 03:16 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 10K ungentle miles, not one slip. 2020 MY.
Old 12-08-2021 | 07:31 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

is no one making an updated clutch kit to circumvent this problem?
Old 12-08-2021 | 07:39 AM
9-X-I
Advanced

Wow, I know of (4) Gt4s 2020 models that had the same issue. The clutch slips bad... 2 or the 4 Porsche covered (less than 5K miles). Part of the issue is that Porsche controls the amount of torque to the gear box by a limiting valve in the clutch slave cylinder. If you shift fast, IE release your foot super quick from the clutch the car thinks you are trying to burn out.... A small orifice in the slave cylinder controls the fluid returning to the slave master cylinder. (Not how fast your lift your foot). As a result, you mash the gas and the clutch slips. It only takes a few hard launches to make the clutch slip happen all the time.... The design needs to be reviewed... stay on your dealer.... most will cover it under warranty and tell you NOT to tell anyone you had the issue... Good luck...
Probably similar to what BMW called "clutch delay valve" 20 years ago. Those cars were a bit funny to drive even for experienced MT drivers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_delay_valve
Old 12-08-2021 | 07:50 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

is no one making an updated clutch kit to circumvent the longevity/slippage problem? like BBi or Sharkwerks. I would be interested if anyone has a better solution. I have clocked 10k miles without issues..
Old 12-08-2021 | 08:09 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RajuPatel
is no one making an updated clutch kit to circumvent the longevity/slippage problem? like BBi or Sharkwerks. I would be interested if anyone has a better solution. I have clocked 10k miles without issues..

Yes...Sachs makes an up-rated pressure plate and disc. BGB, TPC, DeMan and others can get it for you...including the Lightweight Flywheel if you are also into that.
Old 12-08-2021 | 10:05 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Except this car has neither of those. It has a fantastic, precise gearbox, one that professional racer testers rave about. It simply doesn't suffer fools who aren't used to such a precise box. Sloppy technique that works on a Volkswagen Golf won't work well on a GT4.

Too many people get in these cars and just start rifling shifts, without realizing that this box and these pedals require precision if you want to hustle your shifts.
I see you're still running this tired trope, but in new threads :lol:

Randy Pobst isn't doing a bunch of 1-2 shifts. All signs point to the 1-2 grind being caused by a very big change in RPM (product of delta ratios and 8kRPM), and the combination of the engine ω and syncros not being able to keep up with a fast shift. I've seen it in other transmissions, and the GT4 reports sound no different. Usually a high RPM engine and a big 1-2 ratio delta. It's not about being precise, your method happens to allow the underspec'd transmission parts keep up by slowing down the shift. If it's what I think it is, it can be helped with different transmission fluid (sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't), lighter weight flywheel, changing gear ratios where 2nd isn't so far from 1st... and more aggressive synchros.

It's an opinion and propaganda thing. You think the max 1-2 shift speed capability is acceptable and call it 'precision' as though it's a desirable characteristic; I've seen better, think it's slower than it should be given the car's focus, and that things should be spec'd more robust and faster (flywheel, syncros, 1-2 delta ratio).

Otherwise, sure it's an awesome shifting transmission, no sarcasm. Excellent shifter feel for a stocker IMO.

WRT the clutch, I have no comment as some of the reports don't sound like delay valve related issues, but it'll be interesting to see how many experience this issue.

@jmartpr a few posts back, are you describing a programmed in delay in some engine map or a clutch delay valve?

Last edited by enduro; 12-08-2021 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021 | 10:09 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021 | 10:44 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro

@jmartpr a few posts back, are you describing a programmed in delay in some engine map or a clutch delay valve?
That would be the Torque Peak Limiter.....it's not electronic but a function of the hydraulic system. Not sure exactly how it works....
Old 12-08-2021 | 11:03 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

@jmartpr Thx, good to know.
Old 12-08-2021 | 11:26 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by enduro
I see you're still running this tired trope, but in new threads :lol:
And you’re still blaming the car for your lack of skill, but in new threads. :lol:
Old 12-08-2021 | 11:36 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Wow, I know of (4) Gt4s 2020 models that had the same issue. The clutch slips bad... 2 or the 4 Porsche covered (less than 5K miles). Part of the issue is that Porsche controls the amount of torque to the gear box by a limiting valve in the clutch slave cylinder. If you shift fast, IE release your foot super quick from the clutch the car thinks you are trying to burn out.... A small orifice in the slave cylinder controls the fluid returning to the slave master cylinder. (Not how fast your lift your foot). As a result, you mash the gas and the clutch slips. It only takes a few hard launches to make the clutch slip happen all the time.... The design needs to be reviewed... stay on your dealer.... most will cover it under warranty and tell you NOT to tell anyone you had the issue... Good luck...
So what you’re saying is that if you repeatedly dump the clutch and bury the gas pedal like you’re drag racing, the car will develop a design flaw that should be covered under warranty?
Old 12-08-2021 | 11:41 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And you’re still blaming the car for your lack of skill, but in new threads. :lol:
I'll let you know if I'm ever at a track in your neck of the woods and we can dick measure.
Old 12-08-2021 | 12:35 PM
9-X-I
Advanced

The way I understand this, according to my old research when I removed the clutch delay on a BMW, it's a simple mechanical solution. Some owners drilled their valves due to greater oil flow.
If one wanted to do a powerslide with a stock valve and the wheels had a good grip then the valve made the clutch slip. But that was it. Everything was normal if you repeated the process more carefully. I should know, I made 160.000 miles with one clutch.

There is a statement above where someone said "a few agressive starts could make the clutch slip permanently". I assume some sort of jam happens and the clutch doesn't fully connect the shafts. After a couple hundred miles it simply wears off. Impossible to prove that a driver didn't molesting the car.
Old 12-08-2021 | 01:24 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Yes this part is still used on the 718. Its built into the slave cylinder. Under aggressive driving, IE quick left foot release this device controls the fluid return rate to the clutch master cylinder... It is done to keep you from breaking the tranny or axles... If you slip it a handful of times it starts doing it all the time. I had the issue on my 2016 GT4 as well..... Im going PDK to get rid of the issue, its annoying and it gets worse when the motor is hot.... good luck... I have heard of at least (4) low mileage cars with the same issue.
Originally Posted by 9-X-I
The way I understand this, according to my old research when I removed the clutch delay on a BMW, it's a simple mechanical solution. Some owners drilled their valves due to greater oil flow.
If one wanted to do a powerslide with a stock valve and the wheels had a good grip then the valve made the clutch slip. But that was it. Everything was normal if you repeated the process more carefully. I should know, I made 160.000 miles with one clutch.

There is a statement above where someone said "a few agressive starts could make the clutch slip permanently". I assume some sort of jam happens and the clutch doesn't fully connect the shafts. After a couple hundred miles it simply wears off. Impossible to prove that a driver didn't molesting the car.
Yeah this sort of "delay valve" inside the clutch fluid circuit is not new technology. Been found in LOTS of new cars for years. Protects the driveline (trans, diff, axles) from ham-fisted (or is that ham-footed?) drivers who "dump" the clutch between shifts (like, say, my ex-wife... where every gear change was a bit of a jerk/thud for a few thousand miles until she wore out the clutch enough that it just slipped all the time...)

That's not to say that there isn't a potential manufacturing defect here, and not knowing those who are complaining here, certainly can't say for sure. But I've ridden with a lot of people who drive like my ex. I've instructed with a lot of people who seem to think that, when on track, you MUST shift those gears absolutely as fast as possible. I've co-driven with team members on endurance racing teams who do the same. We generally warn (and then boot) those drivers... as while, theoretically, if you can shave .005 off your shift time and get back to power, over multiple shifts on a lap, it might add up to an extra tenth of lap time. However, the wear and tear on the hardware means the long game is always a loss when you drive like that.

Originally Posted by OldRallyist
I ended up selling my 718 Spyder because of this issue. It was apparent if I continued to agressively drive it at autocross it would soon be necessary to replace the clutch. In addition the Spyder with the manual transmission was simply not competitive in either PCA or SCCA events against PDK equipped Porsches or manual equipped competitors with more appropriate (shorter) gear sets. I made out ok on the sale in that the car sold for the same amount as originally paid including tax and license.
Funny... I find my box-stock Spyder to be very competitive in SCCA - last Chicago Region SCCA event I attended (lots of National champs in my region) I managed to hold raw FTD with it until literally almost the last run of the event. PCA, it isn't competitive - I FTD by a big margin when I attend those events. And Ron Bauer podiumed at 2021 nationals this year with a manual-equipped 718 GT4.

In other words - don't blame the car here.

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 10K ungentle miles, not one slip. 2020 MY.
11,500 on my '21 and so far, so good. While I personally don't think the OE clutch will handle repeated, very aggressive, 4500rpm slip-starts on an AX course (like I did with my previous ASP-class 987.2 Cayman), it seems to be holding up just fine to 1500-2000rpm starts. This motor makes enough torque, no need to come out with a ton of RPM. Then again, I've never seen an OE Porsche clutch survive starts like that. OE clutch in my old 944 Turbo didn't stand a chance, neither did the OE clutch in my 987.2 Cayman, neither did the clutches in my two previous 981 Boxsters. I am hopeful this Spyder will last longer.
The following 2 users liked this post by daaa nope:
AlexCeres (12-09-2021), Underblu (08-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Clutch Slippage and Failure Discussion Thread