Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Clutch Slippage and Failure Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 03:44 PM
reelbuddies
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Slippage and Failure Discussion Thread

Hi Folks, 5K miles on my car purchased new earlier this year. 10 track days on it otherwise all highway driving to and from the track. Last track day noticed what I thought to be the clutch slipping. ...crazy for a car with 5K miles and never driven like a Drag car. Brought it to dealer today and he duplicated what I felt going from 2nd to 3rd under heavy acceleration and he said the clutch was slipping. Never once did the dealer say this was my fault and he said that we can most likely get it covered by warranty (it better be..), but a new clutch does not solve the problem. I don't think there is a big sample size of manual 718's that track regularly, but I suspect I'm not the only one to experience this.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by reelbuddies
Hi Folks, 5K miles on my car purchased new earlier this year. 10 track days on it otherwise all highway driving to and from the track. Last track day noticed what I thought to be the clutch slipping. ...crazy for a car with 5K miles and never driven like a Drag car. Brought it to dealer today and he duplicated what I felt going from 2nd to 3rd under heavy acceleration and he said the clutch was slipping. Never once did the dealer say this was my fault and he said that we can most likely get it covered by warranty (it better be..), but a new clutch does not solve the problem. I don't think there is a big sample size of manual 718's that track regularly, but I suspect I'm not the only one to experience this.
Given this wasn't an issue on the 981 GT4 and hasn't been noted as an issue on any of the GT cars with the 6 speed, it's probably a little early to jump to the conclusion that your individual situation is indication of a broader issue.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:31 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

Coming up on 10 months and 10,000 miles, and will be doing my 8th track day this Sunday. Owned more than few manuals in my life, haven't felt the clutch slip. Will follow-up if that ever changes. Let us know how the repairs go.
The following 2 users liked this post by phefner:
AlexCeres (09-30-2021), reelbuddies (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 05:01 PM
hmintz
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

I know of one other GT4 owner with the same problem. He negotiated a clutch change with the dealer. He also had some track days and autocross, but no abuse.

Howard
Old 06-23-2021, 05:44 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Should be a non-issue with the new clutch on a manual as there really isn’t much going on in there. It’s not like a PDk where software controlling what your left foot and hand should be doing could be destroying it. I dumped a DCT bmw because it had DTC issues (stall at lights randomly, stall while coming to a stop randomly. randomly very jerky at low speed compared to normal jerkiness) and eventually ate a clutch by 20000km though and bmw’s solution was to just keep replacing clutches until it went off warranty.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:20 PM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I have felt something similar going from 2-3. At first I thought it was sloppy technique on my part, but I'm no noob to driving manual cars. When shifting fast from 2-3 on occasion I feel the clutch slip as well -- almost like there is phantom pressure on the clutch pedal even when my left foot isn't on it. Odd.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:40 PM
reelbuddies
Track Day

Originally Posted by dwaldi
I have felt something similar going from 2-3. At first I thought it was sloppy technique on my part, but I'm no noob to driving manual cars. When shifting fast from 2-3 on occasion I feel the clutch slip as well -- almost like there is phantom pressure on the clutch pedal even when my left foot isn't on it. Odd.
that is exactly what it feels like.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:31 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

Thanks for the added color guys. Will pay more attention to that 2-3 shift going forward.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:30 PM
reelbuddies
Track Day

Originally Posted by hmintz
I know of one other GT4 owner with the same problem. He negotiated a clutch change with the dealer. He also had some track days and autocross, but no abuse.

Howard
My concern is that a new clutch doesn't solve the problem in my option, I'm after why it happened.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:10 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Well, there are now 3 threads going with issues on the manual cars...

Clutch slippage
Someone lost 1, 3, 5, & R from what seems to be a linkage issue
Grinding from 1st to 2nd

Glad I picked PDK
The following 4 users liked this post by TRZ06:
Airbag997 (03-30-2024), Alan C. (09-22-2021), alwaysdriving (10-14-2021), tigerhonaker (09-23-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 10:14 AM
reelbuddies
Track Day

Default Clutch replaced

Porsche Nashua replaced the clutch and pressure plate in the 718. GT4. BTW, really lucky to have a phenomenal Dealer to work with. Their team is top notch.
Symptoms are corrected but we are still at a loss as to what exactly caused the clutch to heat up. We also have a 2012 Cayman R with 3X the track days still running the original clutch. I also sent the dealer pictures of the zip tied linkage connections another person posted. I remain concerned the problem is going to happen again. …we’ll see.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:50 PM
Voyager006
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same problem (2-3 very noticeable). A Road America event in June and less than 3k-miles. My E46 M3 was bullet proof so this is a bit of a disappointment
Old 07-17-2021, 07:44 PM
reelbuddies
Track Day

Originally Posted by Voyager006
I have the same problem (2-3 very noticeable). A Road America event in June and less than 3k-miles. My E46 M3 was bullet proof so this is a bit of a disappointment
let me know how you make out. My dealer replaced to clutch and pressure plate, I tracked the car yesterday with no issues however my gut tells me that it is not fixed. We have a 2012 Cayman R with 3X the number of track days and I’m still on the original clutch.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:19 PM
pcarGTS4.0
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

let me know how you make out. My dealer replaced to clutch and pressure plate, I tracked the car yesterday with no issues however my gut tells me that it is not fixed. We have a 2012 Cayman R with 3X the number of track days and I’m still on the original clutch.
Could there be air in the lines?

Story of why I brought that up....I had three clutches replaced within 2k miles on a g35 back in the day and Inifiniti lemon'd the car the third time. They brought out a corporate engineer to the dealer and he said the cause was air in the clutch line that the dealership never discovered with the first replacement and second replacement. It definitely slipped in lower gears and when I was in stop and go traffic clutch/plate got hot and that was the only time it slipped ...it caused the clutch and plate to burn up.

Last edited by pcarGTS4.0; 07-19-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:11 PM
reelbuddies
Track Day

Originally Posted by pcarGTS4.0
Could there be air in the lines?

Story of why I brought that up....I had three clutches replaced within 2k miles on a g35 back in the day and Inifiniti lemon'd the car the third time. They brought out a corporate engineer to the dealer and he said the cause was air in the clutch line that the dealership never discovered with the first replacement and second replacement. It definitely slipped in lower gears and when I was in stop and go traffic clutch/plate got hot and that was the only time it slipped ...it caused the clutch and plate to burn up.
thanks. Good thought. I would think they would bleed the slave cylinder but I will follow up on this.
The following users liked this post:
pcarGTS4.0 (07-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Clutch Slippage and Failure Discussion Thread