Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Full bucket seats for GTS 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 10:34 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 285 Posts

I was able to sit in them for the 2nd time at a breakfast get together this past weekend...I'll agree they are comfortable, but with people parking in normal spaces I found it a real pita to get in and out. I don't have the experience that others do, but it isn't something I'd want to deal with for day to day driving. I agree with others sentiments about the helmet issue with the way the seat sits fairly upright...and I felt like I was sitting on the floor and would have preferred to be a couple inches taller in the seat (even compared to my 987.1S Cayman). I will be going for the 18 ways and will be doing Chalk. I can't get the interior options that I want with the LWBS, and it works just as easily since I can get something similarly comfortable. As others say, it will really depend on your ability to sit in them, or find someone nearby to get in and out of, support on the back and shoulders are great...but limited options for tweaking (I'm 5'10" ~180lbs.)
The following users liked this post:
slilley (05-22-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 10:55 AM
Goodwood
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

Hopefully the Mrs. had pants on vs a dress or skirt! Would've been awkward trying to get in and out of buckets in a dress, esp with an onlooker! Kidding aside, you're making the right choice with the 18-ways given your intended use. If you track it, you can always do the seatbelt lock trick. Motor the seat back, yank the belt to lock it, hold it there, then motor the seat back to your usual driving position. That's what I always did with my many GTR track days. Sometimes takes a couple trys to get it just right, but actually works pretty well when combined with laterally supportive seats! Don't forget to get Ventilated seats as well as Heated! Good luck!
slilley (05-22-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 09:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Got in and out of 18ways in a GT4 at my dealer yesterday and didn’t find them any easier to navigate than my LWBS honestly. They were comfy but so are the LWBS. Go drive both, then decide what’s right for you.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:23 PM
BritinSF
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

I specified my CGTS 4.0 with the full buckets.

Car should arrive at the dealer tomorrow and I pick her up on Friday.

Just in time for a 3 day weekend, fantastic timing. Beyond excited!

The following 4 users liked this post by BritinSF:
dashanin (06-29-2022), SpeedySpidey (05-25-2021), UncleDude (05-25-2021), Zeus993 (06-16-2022)
Old 05-25-2021, 11:11 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,005 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodwood
Hopefully the Mrs. had pants on vs a dress or skirt! Would've been awkward trying to get in and out of buckets in a dress, esp with an onlooker! Kidding aside, you're making the right choice with the 18-ways given your intended use. If you track it, you can always do the seatbelt lock trick. Motor the seat back, yank the belt to lock it, hold it there, then motor the seat back to your usual driving position. That's what I always did with my many GTR track days. Sometimes takes a couple trys to get it just right, but actually works pretty well when combined with laterally supportive seats! Don't forget to get Ventilated seats as well as Heated! Good luck!
I have buckets in my GT4, but the 4-way seats with the seatbelt locked very very tight has worked for years with my previous Cayman S at the track. With the Hybrid S on, I can't turn my head much more than 90 degrees, and am planted in the seat. Not quite the carbon buckets, but very secure.
slilley (05-26-2021)
Old 06-14-2022, 07:20 PM
moneyman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can you buy these
Old 06-14-2022, 10:37 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 353 Posts

More than one person in this thread so far has indicated that they feel like the 18-way seats are just as hard/easy to get in and out of as the buckets. This sentiment is baffling to me.

I was lucky enough to be able to try the buckets in a GT4 on a showroom floor before ordering my own car with the 18-ways. The buckets, with their ~4 inch high rigid lower side-bolsters, were much more cumbersome to get into and out of. for me - even in the ideal conditions of a showroom, where the driver door can be fully open. But the buckets would have been absolutely physically impossible for me to use in my narrow garage at home, where I can only open the driver door partially. So I ordered the 18-ways, which I like a lot.
The following 3 users liked this post by 0-Day:
Alpha Ice (06-15-2022), slilley (06-15-2022), Zeus993 (06-16-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 10:55 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,360 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Day
More than one person in this thread so far has indicated that they feel like the 18-way seats are just as hard/easy to get in and out of as the buckets. This sentiment is baffling to me.

I was lucky enough to be able to try the buckets in a GT4 on a showroom floor before ordering my own car with the 18-ways. The buckets, with their ~4 inch high rigid lower side-bolsters, were much more cumbersome to get into and out of. for me - even in the ideal conditions of a showroom, where the driver door can be fully open. But the buckets would have been absolutely physically impossible for me to use in my narrow garage at home, where I can only open the driver door partially. So I ordered the 18-ways, which I like a lot.
I’m going to sit in both again soon, the only thing that sticks out to me is that I try very hard to not rub the bolster on my 2 way seats when I enter and exit. I elevate and exit, and enter with a leg in and arm on the arm rest then plunk into the seat on entry. So with that technique, I don’t think it would be much different than the buckets but I’m going to find out soon. If you slump in and grind the bolster when you enter, then I could see a bit difference. Also when you measure them, the bolster on the buckets isn’t much bigger than the 2 ways, it is just a different shape.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:00 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,346 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I’m going to sit in both again soon, the only thing that sticks out to me is that I try very hard to not rub the bolster on my 2 way seats when I enter and exit. I elevate and exit, and enter with a leg in and arm on the arm rest then plunk into the seat on entry. So with that technique, I don’t think it would be much different than the buckets but I’m going to find out soon. If you slump in and grind the bolster when you enter, then I could see a bit difference. Also when you measure them, the bolster on the buckets isn’t much bigger than the 2 ways, it is just a different shape.
Sitting is one thing, driving is another. When I first sat in buckets in a showroom they felt fine but in a test drive I knew I could not live with them so I ordered the standard seats. I had 18 ways in my last P-car so I had that experience...I have no regrets with the standard seats other than not being able to get them ventilated, but even here in FL with the top down I can live without it.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:17 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

We purchased a pre-owned CGTS 4.0 with full buckets. My wife and I both "fell" into the car when we took it for a test drive. However, once in the car they seemed fine.

I admit that they are a challenge to get in and out of in the garage. I am concerned the bolsters will wear over time due to the entry/exit difficulty in tight spots. I will likely get some bolster protectors. If we had ordered a new car, I don't think I would have spec'ed them for all of the reasons some have stated above.

Now, after owning the car for several months, I find the buckets one of the primary features of the car and I can't imagine not having them. If/when we get a Boxster to go along with the Cayman, I feel the buckets are a must-have. They add so much character to the car.

Dave

Last edited by rcfun33; 06-16-2022 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:35 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

If I could swap out the 18 ways in my Taycan 4S for buckets I would. The LWBS in my GT4 are much more comfortable.
Old 06-16-2022, 02:53 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

I went from 4-ways in my Carrera T, to the GT2 buckets in my 997.2 GT3 RS, to the LWBS in my 718 Spyder. My conscensus? They all have a PITA factor ingressing and egressing out of them. Even the 4-ways I found "difficult" at the start (they're actually pretty deep now, much deeper than the gen before) and then, like the buckets, you develop your technique for rapid, controlled in and out.

I love the fact in the LWBS you can replace the center cushions with memory foam and raise them up a bit. The bottom line is that these are driving cars, meant for the tight and twisties, and once your at full boil on your drive you kind of forget about what your sitting in.

Do I wish the LWBS reclined? Yes. On a long day of driving I like to pull over, drop the seat back, have a quick cat-nap, and then carry on. But wait! There's no room in the 718 to do that! Whoops - wrong car. Oh well, first world...

Last edited by Zeus993; 06-16-2022 at 03:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Full bucket seats for GTS 4.0?