Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Full bucket seats for GTS 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 03:48 PM
JBSea
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Full bucket seats for GTS 4.0?

Anyone select the full bucket options on a GTS 4.0? Are these the same seats as in the GT4? I do not see much discussion of them for the 4.0 (lots around GT4s) or much talk that people have selected this rather expensive option.

Would love to hear from anyone that does have them. Is the softer ride of the GTS (compared to the GT4) enough to make the bucket seats comfortable enough? I am not planning to do much time at the track but would like to be comfortable enough to spend most of a day on road trips etc.

I am probably not inclined to get them but wanted to see what folks think.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2021, 04:02 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by JBSea
Anyone select the full bucket options on a GTS 4.0? Are these the same seats as in the GT4? I do not see much discussion of them for the 4.0 (lots around GT4s) or much talk that people have selected this rather expensive option.

Would love to hear from anyone that does have them. Is the softer ride of the GTS (compared to the GT4) enough to make the bucket seats comfortable enough? I am not planning to do much time at the track but would like to be comfortable enough to spend most of a day on road trips etc.

I am probably not inclined to get them but wanted to see what folks think.

Thanks
They're the same seats as the GT4/Spyder.
The comfort discussion is going to swing both ways - you need to just go sit in them yourself (in any other Porsche - they're all the same) to make up your own opinion. I doubt that the suspension differences of the GTS vs. GT4 are going to make that much of a difference in comfort
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (06-15-2022)
Old 05-18-2021, 04:19 PM
JBSea
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

I thought they might be. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:55 PM
RainRide
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

As beautiful as they are, in my humble opinion LWBS are less suitable for the GTS, in spirit, at least. There is a general consensus that they are less practical for long trips or daily use, not to mention the ingress/egress.
If you “need” the buckets, you probably “need”the GT4/Spyder...
if you just want them, heck, just get’em and enjoy!!

Last edited by RainRide; 05-18-2021 at 04:56 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RainRide:
Alpha Ice (05-21-2021), JBSea (05-18-2021), MITCourse15 (05-27-2021), Zeus993 (06-15-2022)
Old 05-18-2021, 06:46 PM
2PUTT
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 181 Posts

$5900 option when ordered from the factory. ~$12k if purchased after. It is not the most practical seat for a daily. but the math makes sense to get it. even my wife understood this quickly before we picked up the GT4. granted the GT4 is not my daily driver. i have since replaced the inserts with memory foam which makes it much much better. the additional padding helps a lot. put it this way, order them for $5900. of you end up not liking them, sell them for profit!
Old 05-18-2021, 07:23 PM
Greg_STL
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 77 Posts

I really like them while driving. I think they are very comfortable but as others have stated - that depends on if your body shape fits the seat because it is not moving. I've gotten used to getting in and out but it is a bit of an effort. I recently started hitting AutoX events. I used to use a cg lock on my seat belt on my last car, but the buckets are supportive enough that I won't be doing that in the Cayman. The only drawback I really have is with a helmet on that the upright position is a bit much. I went ahead and installed the TPC seat angle brackets to help fix that. I think it is a wash on daily driving as far as comfort with the angle brackets but with a helmet on it is much much better. My wife really likes the more reclined position of the passenger seat. It is also a little harder to get out with the front of the seat higher with the brackets.

But the best thing about them on the GTS is all the exposed carbon fiber. It really makes the interior feel special.

The following 8 users liked this post by Greg_STL:
Dem bones (06-15-2022), JAhmed (06-14-2022), jake18 (05-19-2021), JBM718GTS (05-18-2021), minn19 (05-20-2021), ohmyggg (05-09-2024), ToastyTamago (06-29-2024), TomTarzian (06-17-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-18-2021, 08:35 PM
Dry Side
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I have them in my 2019 BGTS and find them comfortable (at least for a few hours of driving). I am 5’10” 155 lbs.

The following 4 users liked this post by Dry Side:
Frank Torres (05-20-2021), jake18 (05-19-2021), JBM718GTS (05-18-2021), TomTarzian (06-17-2022)
Old 05-18-2021, 10:24 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,346 Posts

Originally Posted by 2PUTT
$5900 option when ordered from the factory. ~$12k if purchased after. It is not the most practical seat for a daily. but the math makes sense to get it. even my wife understood this quickly before we picked up the GT4. granted the GT4 is not my daily driver. i have since replaced the inserts with memory foam which makes it much much better. the additional padding helps a lot. put it this way, order them for $5900. of you end up not liking them, sell them for profit!
I got an A in all of the math classes in college and what you said does not compute, nor so I can any sense in your argument. Basically, every single option costs more if purchased later...do you know what PCCBs cost if you have to buy them without ordering?! If the OP has any doubts, which I suspect based on his initial comments, get the 2 ways and I can assure you that you will thank me. Nevertheless, sit in them before you decide, and take a ride as well since a piece of wood is not bad for a minute.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 05-18-2021 at 10:26 PM.
jake18 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 11:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

delete
Old 05-19-2021, 07:59 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 207 Posts

I do regular AutoX and track driving, and strongly considered the buckets - but in the end I opted for the "safer" choice of the 18-ways. A couple reasons: (1) no option for heated seats with the buckets, which I find to be highly therapeutic for my aching back, and (2) my wife is my co-pilot on many adventures in the Porsche, and I didn't want to risk her not being able to get comfortable. My original build had the 2-way seats, but I opted for the 18-ways after thinking about her not being able to get comfy in the 2-way seats with her occasional hip and back problems.

I also find it a bit ridiculous that the factory buckets need aftermarket add-ons like extra padding, side-bolster protectors, and seat-angle brackets to get them "right." But they are a work of art, and I half-lust for them. My build doesn't lock for another 45 days, so I still have time to reconsider...but probably won't. I spend far more time scooting around town and doing pleasure rides than track time, so I have to be practical in my seating decision. From my research, I'd estimate that far less than 1 in 10 GTS cars have the full buckets (and it might be as low as 1 in 20 cars). So it's a rare option. That can be both good and bad if you decide to sell it X years from now.

It's too bad you can't select a bucket seat for the driver, and an 18-way seat for the passenger! No, I wouldn't do that either - but Porsche could probably charge extra for the "Contrasting Seat" option!
The following 2 users liked this post by slilley:
0-Day (05-21-2021), Goodwood (05-20-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 12:33 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

For me, they are the most comfortable seats Porsche sells. The Full Bucket Seats, not the Sport Buckets.
No issues with drives of 8 hours or longer.
Easier for me to get in and out of than the 18-ways in the Boxster.
The biggest drawback - they are not female friendly.

Get what you like and what works for your situation. That's why there are options.
JSF101 (05-20-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 12:36 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I got an A in all of the math classes in college and what you said does not compute, nor so I can any sense in your argument. Basically, every single option costs more if purchased later...do you know what PCCBs cost if you have to buy them without ordering?! If the OP has any doubts, which I suspect based on his initial comments, get the 2 ways and I can assure you that you will thank me. Nevertheless, sit in them before you decide, and take a ride as well since a piece of wood is not bad for a minute.
Or.... order your car with them for $5,900. Take delivery of the car. Unbolt them, unused, and put them on eBay for $18k. They will sell. Use the profit to buy a set of regular seats and take a nice vacation.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:04 AM
Goodwood
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by slilley
I do regular AutoX and track driving, and strongly considered the buckets - but in the end I opted for the "safer" choice of the 18-ways. A couple reasons: (1) no option for heated seats with the buckets, which I find to be highly therapeutic for my aching back, and (2) my wife is my co-pilot on many adventures in the Porsche, and I didn't want to risk her not being able to get comfortable. My original build had the 2-way seats, but I opted for the 18-ways after thinking about her not being able to get comfy in the 2-way seats with her occasional hip and back problems.

I also find it a bit ridiculous that the factory buckets need aftermarket add-ons like extra padding, side-bolster protectors, and seat-angle brackets to get them "right." But they are a work of art, and I half-lust for them. My build doesn't lock for another 45 days, so I still have time to reconsider...but probably won't. I spend far more time scooting around town and doing pleasure rides than track time, so I have to be practical in my seating decision. From my research, I'd estimate that far less than 1 in 10 GTS cars have the full buckets (and it might be as low as 1 in 20 cars). So it's a rare option. That can be both good and bad if you decide to sell it X years from now.

It's too bad you can't select a bucket seat for the driver, and an 18-way seat for the passenger! No, I wouldn't do that either - but Porsche could probably charge extra for the "Contrasting Seat" option!
I agree 100%. I got the 14-ways with heat and ventilation, but now I regret not getting the 18-ways. Most times I would drive with them set to wide open, but there are times I want more lateral support for spirited cornering. The 18-ways would provide this support without sacrificing comfort.

Last edited by Goodwood; 05-20-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:16 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

I have them and had the intentions of replacing them with some version of the sofa seats. But after almost 5k miles/6 months of ownership, I've really grown to love them and won't be replacing them. They are very comfortable when in them and I have zero issues with longer drives etc. Wife and daughter approve of them as well so no issues there. They are still somewhat of a pain to get in and out of, but it really isn't that bad and I've gotten used to it. I honestly think it enhances the experience/specialness feeling of a car like this. It doesn't hurt that they are gorgeous looking.
The following 2 users liked this post by minn19:
jake18 (05-21-2021), JBM718GTS (05-20-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 10:25 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 207 Posts

Yesterday I took the afternoon off to drive to a somewhat-distant Porsche dealer that had a 2018 GT3 CPO with bucket seats. I figured I should at least give the buckets a look before my CGTS build locks. I even took my wife along with me, with the intention of her getting a chance to sit in the seats and give me her feedback. Before I left home I emailed the Sales Manager to get his OK to sit in the car...I was honest and told him I had a car on order from another dealer closer to home, and all I wanted to was "try on" the bucket seats.

When I arrived, the car was in an indoor storage area with a lot of other nice cars parked/packed around it, including a Ferrari and a 2021 CGTS 4.0 with 7 miles on the odometer that is part of the connecting-rod recall and waiting for a new engine (ouch!).

My wife never tried out the bucket seats, but she did watch me climb in/out of them once on the driver's side and twice on the passenger side where the car's door could swing all the way open. Once you were in the seat they did seem quite comfortable, if a bit upright (easily fixed via aftermarket). But the ingress and egress was a killer, especially in places where you can't swing the door fully open (like my sub-standard garage). My wife watched me, and didn't even want to give the seats a try with the Sales Manager standing right there with us the whole time. I'm sure it gets easier with familiarity and experience, but I went in expecting them to be a challenge - and they certainly were!

So, after all that, I'm more comfortable sticking with the 18-way seats. I'm sure I'll wish for the buckets when I'm tracking or AutoX'ing the car, but that's still a minority of the time I'm in the car. I also expect I'll be keeping this car for a long while, so while the buckets may be semi-workable now while I'm in my early 50s, it may be a different situation in 10 years when I'm in my 60s. I really wanted to have the heated seats, so that's another advantage for the non-bucket seats.

Still, those bucket seats are SO BEAUTIFUL! They certainly look the part. I can see why so many GT-car owners spec them.

Btw, I love that you can search the Porsche CPO website for an option as specific as lightweight buckets!

Last edited by slilley; 05-21-2021 at 10:27 AM.
Alpha Ice (05-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Full bucket seats for GTS 4.0?