Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Light weight battery options

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 03:47 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Can you please weigh both batteries and post it on here? Would be great to have exact data on the difference
I will have the staff put both the batteries (40Ah and 60Ah) on our UPS scale which is super accurate and take some pictures. We might still have an H6 Lead Acid version in there also. While I assume our Antigravity website pages have accurate info on the weights, I will tell them to get some pictures to post up here.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:17 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Haven't pulled the battery yet, but the stock one is supposed to be 46.5 lbs as per the spec sheet. With the 40Ah AG battery weighing in at 15.5 lbs, that is your 31 pound weight loss. I forgot that I upgraded to the 60 Ah AG battery that weighs in at 18.15 lbs, so my actual weight loss will be about 28.35 lbs. However, that extra 2.65 lbs and $120 net me 50% more battery capacity. I like that.
Sounds like a very decent weight saving! Even with the 60 Ah

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I will have the staff put both the batteries (40Ah and 60Ah) on our UPS scale which is super accurate and take some pictures. We might still have an H6 Lead Acid version in there also. While I assume our Antigravity website pages have accurate info on the weights, I will tell them to get some pictures to post up here.
Awesome! That would be great for sure. I live in a condo and if I had an electrical plug to put the car on a tender would definitely buy one. Still most likely will in the near future
Old 05-11-2021, 03:38 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sorry for delay... Here is the 60Ah image on our UPS scale...

Antigravity H6- 60Ah battery

Old 01-12-2022, 08:43 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Haven't pulled the battery yet, but the stock one is supposed to be 46.5 lbs as per the spec sheet. With the 40Ah AG battery weighing in at 15.5 lbs, that is your 31 pound weight loss. I forgot that I upgraded to the 60 Ah AG battery that weighs in at 18.15 lbs, so my actual weight loss will be about 28.35 lbs. However, that extra 2.65 lbs and $120 net me 50% more battery capacity. I like that.
My scale must be off. This is the 40AH. 32.5 lbs difference '22 718 GT4

Last edited by incursion; 01-12-2022 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:59 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

@Antigravity I've confirmed in PIWIS on my 2018 Cayman 718 at least, that you can code the car for a lithium battery. The provision was there for the 991.661.040.52 Porsche battery. The thought is coding this value will increase the cars charging voltage. I did not personally do a before and after voltage check. Do you have experience with doing this and what would the implications be with your battery in this scenario?
Old 01-12-2022, 11:32 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,107 Likes on 543 Posts

Nice job on the weights. I thought I was just quoting Antigravity on the weights for their batteries. Looks like yours weighs less . Even if the scale is off a bit, it is the difference between the two battery weights that counts as taken from the same scale. A nice 32.5 lbs weight loss. If it is not a daily driver subjected to the rain, you can suction out about 6 lbs of wiper fluid, that you will never use, without setting off the low fluid level sensor. I originally took out all that I could at 8 lbs, but had to put back some to turn off the light.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:47 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by incursion
My scale must be off. This is the 40AH. 32.5 lbs difference '22 718 GT4

Hmmm, just thinking out loud here, but some home scales are sensitive to where the weight is placed, the AG battery is positioned well, the OEM battery should have been placed the same way, not hanging way over the edge... this might make a difference.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:14 AM
Il CP
Pro

Received 508 Likes on 213 Posts

Have an AG H8 60Ah in the 981 GT4. Works perfectly. We had a guy over on Ferrarichat that installed the other brand you mention, and he had nothing but a truly bad experience. Poor quality, defect products, crap service. One of the worst stories I've heard of in recent times.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:15 AM
incursion
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Hmmm, just thinking out loud here, but some home scales are sensitive to where the weight is placed, the AG battery is positioned well, the OEM battery should have been placed the same way, not hanging way over the edge... this might make a difference.
I weighed the AG in the same position as the Porsche, and it was the same.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:21 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 918 Posts

I have been using the same Braille Lightweight battery (intensity Carbon 48 series) since 2015.......weight a bit under 10 lbs and have being moving it from car to car since new.
Just talked to them and after 6 years it's still delivery almost full power 98% and was told it could last another 6 years.
They are a bit more expensive but the quality is great....putting it away so it can go into the 4RS once it gets here.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:49 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I have been using the same Braille Lightweight battery (intensity Carbon 48 series) since 2015.......weight a bit under 10 lbs and have being moving it from car to car since new.
Just talked to them and after 6 years it's still delivery almost full power 98% and was told it could last another 6 years.
They are a bit more expensive but the quality is great....putting it away so it can go into the 4RS once it gets here.
I am not here to bash Braille, and its great that you doing so well with the battery.

Braille uses Grade A Lithium Cells, and a very nice enclosure, those are two of the most important aspects of a Lithium Battery, but the 3rd required part for the most in safety and protection of a Lithium Battery is a good protection system , called the Battery Management System (BMS). If you"re racing only or doing Track Days and maintain the battery well it can be fine not having a BMS. But it really taking a risk overall because in the case that you forget to recharge and allow over-discharge of the Battery it can lead to damage to an un-protected Lithium Battery. In other cases if some part fails on the Vehicle and the alternator, or voltage regulator, or even perhaps a tech puts the wrong charger on a Lithium battery then it can result in over-charging the battery and Thermal Runaway which is a melt-down of the Lithium Cells since they have gotten dramatically over-heated. So while Lifepo4 is arguably the safest form of Lithium for use as Car Starter Batteries it should have the required BMS protection system that the Lithium cell manufacturers actually require for use of their cells in any products like Car Batteries or similar Battery types. Braille has still not incorporated this, and it quite odd.

So my statement is just for others who might read this to understand to get a Lithium Battery with a BMS protections system as a absolute priority. IT just eliminate the potential for damage to you expensive lithium battery but more importantly is that extra safety protection.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:53 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I am not here to bash Braille, and its great that you doing so well with the battery.

Braille uses Grade A Lithium Cells, and a very nice enclosure, those are two of the most important aspects of a Lithium Battery, but the 3rd required part for the most in safety and protection of a Lithium Battery is a good protection system , called the Battery Management System (BMS). If you"re racing only or doing Track Days and maintain the battery well it can be fine not having a BMS. But it really taking a risk overall because in the case that you forget to recharge and allow over-discharge of the Battery it can lead to damage to an un-protected Lithium Battery. In other cases if some part fails on the Vehicle and the alternator, or voltage regulator, or even perhaps a tech puts the wrong charger on a Lithium battery then it can result in over-charging the battery and Thermal Runaway which is a melt-down of the Lithium Cells since they have gotten dramatically over-heated. So while Lifepo4 is arguably the safest form of Lithium for use as Car Starter Batteries it should have the required BMS protection system that the Lithium cell manufacturers actually require for use of their cells in any products like Car Batteries or similar Battery types. Braille has still not incorporated this, and it quite odd.

So my statement is just for others who might read this to understand to get a Lithium Battery with a BMS protections system as a absolute priority. IT just eliminate the potential for damage to you expensive lithium battery but more importantly is that extra safety protection.
Thanks for the info....I posted my experience since this Thread was an open question to what's available out there by a regular RL member.
I use my cars on a weakly basis and have never had a problem with a Braille dead battery, but its sure nice to have an extra safety net.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:08 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Josh_357
@Antigravity I've confirmed in PIWIS on my 2018 Cayman 718 at least, that you can code the car for a lithium battery. The provision was there for the 991.661.040.52 Porsche battery. The thought is coding this value will increase the cars charging voltage. I did not personally do a before and after voltage check. Do you have experience with doing this and what would the implications be with your battery in this scenario?
Hey Josh,

We do have a good bit of experience on a 2016 GT3RS PIWIS and its settings, but honestly the Charging system, as we found, was different on the 718s and Caymans that would actually charge higher than the 911 variants. We had some persons getting flags early on with the battery we provided and we found that our protections were kicking in when the voltages were going higher, as the Caymans were prone to do, and espcecially during winter time when the Cars ECU see the ambient temps are colder they bump up the voltage to compensate for the fact that Lead/Acid charges slower at lower temps. So those bumps in voltage ran into our protections. We corrected the BMS to allow for higher voltages and that resolved the problem in most all cars since that time. The fact is also the voltage goes up when you are running more accessories and/or are in the Sport modes and such, and you want that because it keeps all the accessories powered well.

So to get to the point about PIWIS and changes in it to accommodate the AG Lithium Battery we found that the standard AGM profile of the Car was the Best for the Lithium. The reason being is because we found from the Porsche Bulletin for the GT3 that the Lithium PIWIS setting actually had a max chariging rate of 13.8v, and that is absolutely fine for a Track Car, or daily driver without heated seats and some other high draw accessories, but for a regular car it is just to low to provide a higher voltage when needed to power accessories and charge the battery at the same time. The fact is our Lithium Battery can run on any Lead/Acid Charging profile because it operates within the voltage ranges of those batteries easily, and again the Porsche Lithium profile for the 2016 Cars was oriented toward Track use only, not daily driving.

So I hope I'm answering you question well but let me know if I'm not.... but the bottom line is you do not have to change PIWIS to the Lithium setting at all and we recommend you don't actually. WE do not have direct experience with the Cayman 718 charging profile for the lithium setting, but assume it might be similar to the GT3 and other 911s, so for the sake of simplicity we say DO NOT change the setting to Lithium, ad do a direct swap out of the battery.

Last, this lithium setting with lower voltage was done by Porsche to create a lower drag on the motor because the alternator would not have to be working at a higher voltage.... so this theoretically makes for more power from the car for the intended use of a GT3 for track conditions... but it is not the best setting for regular driving and recharge of a battery and powering accessories. So we would recommend that Lithium PIWIS setting only for Racing and Track us when every tenth of a second is important to you.

Last edited by Antigravity; 01-13-2022 at 02:50 PM. Reason: bad spelling and grammar... typing to fast as usual
Old 01-13-2022, 01:12 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,736 Posts

^^^ Lots of great information here, important stuff when considering a change to a Lithium-Ion battery, thanks for taking the time to share Scott!
Old 01-13-2022, 01:34 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,487 Likes on 828 Posts
Lightbulb

I decided to go with the H7 as mine might sit for extended times in the garage.
This way No-Worries on it ever running down.

Terry
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (01-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Light weight battery options