Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Windschott

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 12:06 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,646 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Originally Posted by slilley
At night, do you get reflections from the headlights of oncoming cars in the rear-view mirror with this installed? I think that's why Porsche goes with a fabric windblock.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:16 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

At night, do you get reflections from the headlights of oncoming cars in the rear-view mirror with this installed? I think that's why Porsche goes with a fabric windblock.
No reflections for me but mine is tinted...not sure it matters. And Porsche went with mesh since it is cheaper than glass and it still does its job.
The following users liked this post:
P-car-Vancouver (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 12:24 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 876 Posts

I can't imagine getting reflections on a flat piece of glass. After all, all 99% of cars have rear glass with no issues. If anything, you will have increased visibility with clear glass and not looking through a mesh (which is a cost saver). I also think it is slightly lighter. I was very surprised with the weight of the OEM piece when I pulled it out due to the metal frame. I'll throw both on a scale to see if there are any weight savings. Who would have thought that mesh could be so heavy.
The following users liked this post:
P-car-Vancouver (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 01:36 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,208 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I can't imagine getting reflections on a flat piece of glass. After all, all 99% of cars have rear glass with no issues. If anything, you will have increased visibility with clear glass and not looking through a mesh (which is a cost saver). I also think it is slightly lighter. I was very surprised with the weight of the OEM piece when I pulled it out due to the metal frame. I'll throw both on a scale to see if there are any weight savings. Who would have thought that mesh could be so heavy.
Just have a look out the window at a building, flat glass reflects. Also that's why air traffic towers have angled glass. I'd be surprised if this is an issue though, it seems like a quality piece that they surely tested. They do look good!
Old 02-03-2022, 07:20 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

Can't imagine this will be an issue, the headlights would already be in front of you, shining directly in your eyes, so any reflection in the rear view would be overshadowed. Maybe you might lose a few seconds of being able to see what's behind you until the oncoming car passes, but again a non-issue....at least for me. YMMV. of course....
Old 02-05-2022, 09:23 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Just have a look out the window at a building, flat glass reflects. Also that's why air traffic towers have angled glass. I'd be surprised if this is an issue though, it seems like a quality piece that they surely tested. They do look good!
Actually, a flat peice of glass reflects less than a convex peice of glass as there is only one angle that will cause a reflection. Remember CRT TVs and the horrible reflections.you could get from multiple angles? Then they went flat and reflections became a thing of the past as all angles are viewable except one. Every pickup truck on the road has a flat glass window behind the driver.

Either way, it's a non-issue.

Last edited by MaddMike; 02-05-2022 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:23 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Installed my Windschott glass high version wind deflector today. Arrived 8 days after I ordered it. Easy install, fits like a glove. Looks fantastic and OEM German quality. Works as advertised. Only thing, centre console and gearshift reflects in glass…Will monitor how it appears at night. Anybody else with this reflection issue ?
Old 02-18-2022, 07:48 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-car-Vancouver
Installed my Windschott glass high version wind deflector today. Arrived 8 days after I ordered it. Easy install, fits like a glove. Looks fantastic and OEM German quality. Works as advertised. Only thing, centre console and gearshift reflects in glass…Will monitor how it appears at night. Anybody else with this reflection issue ?
Get it tinted, which is what I did and it was a big help.
Old 02-18-2022, 11:09 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Get it tinted, which is what I did and it was a big help.
Thanks for the info Bob!
Old 02-24-2022, 02:46 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 105 Posts

Just installed my Windschott High glass wind diffuser on my BGTS. I originally bought it to try and reduce interior turbulence at 80+ mph, but I feel like it's more or less the same. That being said, it actually looks so much nicer, kind of an "invisible" look between the roll hoops, so i think i will keep it at the very least for the aesthetics.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:08 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Moiz Mian
Just installed my Windschott High glass wind diffuser on my BGTS. I originally bought it to try and reduce interior turbulence at 80+ mph, but I feel like it's more or less the same. That being said, it actually looks so much nicer, kind of an "invisible" look between the roll hoops, so i think i will keep it at the very least for the aesthetics.
I installed mine and had the same thoughts.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:17 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I installed mine and had the same thoughts.
did you try dropping down the driver/passenger half-inch?
Old 02-24-2022, 03:19 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
did you try dropping down the driver/passenger half-inch?
I didn’t so will give it a try. It was 70 here yesterday, but today winter returned so it will be awhile…
Old 02-24-2022, 03:22 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 271 Posts

let us know. roads here are still salty so waiting it out. I also got the high version
but with the stock version I found it a bit quieter when I dropped the window a bit
Old 02-24-2022, 03:32 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

FYI to all who bought this or are thinking of buying it: I received the following in an email from the makers of these. For one, I did not say that and for two, tinting it actually helps! It is nothing more than auto glass, which can be tinted - I had my 2 side windows done at the same time I had their deflector tinted:

"We heard you are complaining about reflections in your UR glass wind deflector.Please note that all glass screens on the vehicle reflect - especially at night!

We would like to point out that tinting of the glass changes the special technological properties of the wind deflector made of UR glass and thus the TÜV certificate also expires.

We strongly recommend not sticking film on the screen for security reasons!"

AND tint even increases the reflections a lot more.

Quick Reply: Windschott