Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

'21 GT4 - Repeated Engine Control Fault, Car shuddering

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 07:59 PM
jd-woodlands
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry '21 GT4 - Repeated Engine Control Fault, Car shuddering

Just want to share this on the forum in case any others have this issue, don't know what it is yet but here are the symptoms... My VIN is not part of the impacted connecting rods or suspension issues (as of yet)

ECF (driving permitted) came on at engine start about a week ago, I call the dealer and schedule an appointment for today (about 4 days later).
ECF turns off by itself yesterday (day before the appointment, of course...)
Still take car in to dealer
No codes saved, dealer sees no issue. Runs PDK Software update (open campaign) and gives car back. Enables "Test" mode on ECU to capture more info in case it happens again
No issues on drive home, make a grocery run, no issues there.
Start car again, ECF back on, this time engine is noticeably angry and bubbly.
ECF messages start flashing 1/2, 2/2, then finally calm down to 1/1 messages
Car now shuddering/shaking once i gets to about 1900 RPM
Limp home
*edit* Call dealer, they dispatch a flatbed to tow away
*edit* Tow truck arrives, I start the car, NO ECF AGAIN!!!
Car gets towed away...

Now I wait.....

Last edited by jd-woodlands; 04-07-2021 at 08:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mr965 (04-14-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 08:01 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 692 Posts

So sorry to hear that...not confidence inspiring to say the least. How close is your VIN or build date to the known impacted cars?
Old 04-07-2021, 08:10 PM
jd-woodlands
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
So sorry to hear that...not confidence inspiring to say the least. How close is your VIN or build date to the known impacted cars?
I think it was an October build date, forgot to check the plate before they towed her away. VIN is MK289092 which was a few hundred or so before the ones listed in the other thread. Will keep this thread updated with any new info i get.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 08:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

and no codes retained? - did to try and read codes while the fault was indicated?

fuel pump or injection system issues (hopefully)
Old 04-07-2021, 09:57 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 421 Posts

Fire up a camera, take some snap shots, record. About all you can do.

Wouldn't be some bad gas would it? Something floating in the tank?
Old 04-07-2021, 10:12 PM
TTFLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

Bad gas? Loose gas cap - would this create a different error message?
Old 04-07-2021, 11:57 PM
NoobPorscheNoob
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jd-woodlands
I think it was an October build date, forgot to check the plate before they towed her away. VIN is MK289092 which was a few hundred or so before the ones listed in the other thread. Will keep this thread updated with any new info i get.
That sounds exactly like my case. The waring light will not turn on right away after you start the engine, and it will appear after you driving the car like 15 min. I got this warning light after going to the race track. At the beginning, no check engine light came out only the warning light, but after driving for a while, the check engine light, PSC4200, came out. The code was saying that something made the radiator fan stuck and triggered the warning light, and then the warning light triggered the check engine light. Turn out to be the Debris on the race track got into the engine bay and made the radiator fan stuck. To solve this problem, I needed to remove the back engine cover behind the seats and to clean up the radiator fans because the fans are not quite assessable from outside. Below are some reference picture.

Last edited by NoobPorscheNoob; 04-08-2021 at 12:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NoobPorscheNoob:
josephr25 (04-08-2021), slilley (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 08:59 AM
jd-woodlands
Intermediate

Car only has 1700 miles on it, no tracking, and still breaking in.. doubt its bad gas or debris. should find out soon enough though.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:45 AM
jd-woodlands
Intermediate

First call from the dealer - Cylinder 5 misfire, they are moving the coils to another cylinder and test driving to see if its them or something else.
The following 3 users liked this post by jd-woodlands:
Jeff Jones (04-09-2021), NoobPorscheNoob (04-09-2021), tigerhonaker (04-09-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 12:59 PM
jd-woodlands
Intermediate

Dealer reports cylinder misfire still occurring in #5 after coils moved. Cylinder pressure and leak down tests are good. Porsche now recommending replacing injector.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:15 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 447 Posts

If its a misfire and your scanner missed it, your scanner sucks. Also, sorry about the misfires hope its a quick fix and youre back in the saddle soon.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:59 PM
jd-woodlands
Intermediate

looking like 1.5 - 2 weeks for the part to arrive to the states... so without my new car for a bit. no guarantee it will correct the issue either.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:14 PM
jd-woodlands
Intermediate

Update from my dealer... As they removed the injector they noticed black build up, similar to carbon on the injectors. Techs noticed it was sticky and was individual pieces and not carbon build up.

After further analysis and photos to Porsche, they advised that it was a foreign contaminant introduced during assembly of the high pressure fuel system.

So now they are going to replace all high pressure fuel system components -> fuel pumps, fuel lines, fuel filters, all 6 injectors, all coils, and anything else fuel touched.

And its going to be at the dealer for another month. So at least I have a loaner... any chance PCNA offers me anything if I give them a call? Not super happy at the moment.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by jd-woodlands
Update from my dealer... As they removed the injector they noticed black build up, similar to carbon on the injectors. Techs noticed it was sticky and was individual pieces and not carbon build up.

After further analysis and photos to Porsche, they advised that it was a foreign contaminant introduced during assembly of the high pressure fuel system.

So now they are going to replace all high pressure fuel system components -> fuel pumps, fuel lines, fuel filters, all 6 injectors, all coils, and anything else fuel touched.

And its going to be at the dealer for another month. So at least I have a loaner... any chance PCNA offers me anything if I give them a call? Not super happy at the moment.

I guess they might - worth a try probably best to have your dealer contact your PCNA regional rep 1st though - the folk you get on the phone will probably not have the authority...
Old 04-20-2021, 05:48 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Any chance you would share your VIN, either as a reply to this or private message? An acquaintance experienced a similar issue and Porsche ended up buying his car back. Would like to see if they were similar production numbers.

Quick Reply: '21 GT4 - Repeated Engine Control Fault, Car shuddering