Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

'21 GT4 - Repeated Engine Control Fault, Car shuddering

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 10:59 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckett76
Did you have the Soul OAP's installed? Could be your O2 sensors. I get similar with JCR Headers and OAP's, something to do with the O2 sensors and Cat performance. I've had it checked a few times but also tracked it fine, not all the time but now I just pull codes and reset the system every once in a while.
In the US the GPF is not monitored, so installing Soul OAPs would not induce a CEL.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:57 PM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
In the US the GPF is not monitored, so installing Soul OAPs would not induce a CEL.
I get CEL's with mine although I also have Headers (both JCR), not all the time but they come on, something to do with Cat efficiency, but the headers removed a set of Cat's so could be that, in any case the O2 sensors seem sensitive.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckett76
I get CEL's with mine although I also have Headers (both JCR), not all the time but they come on, something to do with Cat efficiency, but the headers removed a set of Cat's so could be that, in any case the O2 sensors seem sensitive.
the O2 sensors are "downstream" of the cats, and are there to measure the effectiveness of the cats, so higher gas flow and/or less catalytic "processing" will result in the O2 sensors detecting this and throwing a CEL; in geo's where the OPF is "active" there are sensors to measure the OPF efficiency, but those are not present on the N.A versions.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jd-woodlands
Quick update, car still at the dealer waiting on parts. "On a boat, somewhere."

In the mean time, I picked up the Soul OAPs which the dealer said they would install for free, so that's a nice customer service consideration.

So far its been almost 7 weeks without the car...
I would not install these until the problem is resolved... PCNA will not support any warranty claim with aftermarket parts installed!!!
Old 06-08-2021, 09:23 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

The emissions self tests on these cars are super stringent. For cats in the mid pipes, after you fill gas, about every 6-800 miles under low load it will run a test which can tell your cats are too far from the engine...
Old 06-08-2021, 09:48 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
The emissions self tests on these cars are super stringent. For cats in the mid pipes, after you fill gas, about every 6-800 miles under low load it will run a test which can tell your cats are too far from the engine...
Does that mean Dundon headers and OAP with cats relocated to the GPF location will throw codes? I quite liked that product but not if it could potentially cause an issue.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:04 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Does that mean Dundon headers and OAP with cats relocated to the GPF location will throw codes? I quite liked that product but not if it could potentially cause an issue.
I will not be making claims about specific manufacturers products because i have only run 1.. just pointing out these cars emission tests seem really stringent. And the electronics seem finnicky to me. Even disconnecting the battery made my spyder ( and my friend’s spyder) go ape5hit with dash codes. All of these have gone away with minutes of driving and even erased themselves from the car’s memory. I checked with the obd scanner they were stored and then gone 10 min later.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:12 PM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
This makes sense to me, I reset them, usually its good for a few days and then something pops up. My dealer has checked them out and it's a non issue, except for the notice. Usually you can run a tune to reset the parameters and these will be gone but I'm not intending to do that at this point as messing with the ECU is a bigger deal.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:55 PM
jd-woodlands
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Another update…

Certainly not the OAP install causing problems, was on there for about 40 miles, car started and did exactly the same issue with rough idle, shaking, and CEL multiple times. And the dealer installed them…

Dealer has been working with Porsche AG the last 3 days gathering info and tests, they are stumped. They authorized a full engine swap to take care of the issue. SA said they will be shipping the old engine back to Porsche AG for tear down and inspection to find out what’s wrong in case it’s a larger issue that could impact other cars.

So now I’m waiting for a new engine to arrive and get installed, no idea yet on timing… my guess is at least another month??

Any thoughts on what I should do? Sit tight with the loaner and let them fix? Call PCNA for some sort of goodwill (what # do I call? Any special words that I should say?)? Do I start asking about them taking the car back and ordering a new one ( who do I talk to about that? Dealer? PCNA?)

so frustrating….
Old 06-09-2021, 10:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Another update…

Certainly not the OAP install causing problems, was on there for about 40 miles, car started and did exactly the same issue with rough idle, shaking, and CEL multiple times. And the dealer installed them…

Dealer has been working with Porsche AG the last 3 days gathering info and tests, they are stumped. They authorized a full engine swap to take care of the issue. SA said they will be shipping the old engine back to Porsche AG for tear down and inspection to find out what’s wrong in case it’s a larger issue that could impact other cars.

So now I’m waiting for a new engine to arrive and get installed, no idea yet on timing… my guess is at least another month??

Any thoughts on what I should do? Sit tight with the loaner and let them fix? Call PCNA for some sort of goodwill (what # do I call? Any special words that I should say?)? Do I start asking about them taking the car back and ordering a new one ( who do I talk to about that? Dealer? PCNA?)

so frustrating….
which is about as long as it would take for the ECU to "relearn" and adjust any settings in order to optimize performance and emissions ...

my $0.02, with the current engine issues others are having the factory will be producing additional engines to address this, so I expect you will be accommodated as part of that program ...

I think you could certainly call PCNA or have your dealer ask their regional rep about some form of "goodwill" gesture, or to have them "buyback"/lemon the car, if the dealer has been working with PAG and PCNA
then their regional rep will be aware, unlike the call center person you would get if you called PCNA directly - so I would communicate via the dealer and their regional rep.

I would certainly ask for the warranty to be reset/extended...

If you do that, you'd better be confident that you can get another allocation, or be comfortable with perhaps not getting another car, or one to your spec...

good luck
Old 06-09-2021, 10:11 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

Jeez dude, if you didn’t have bad luck you’d have no luck. Get the new engine and hit a restart. I guess after this if it’s still a pita, lemon it, and get put first in line for a GT4RS.
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (06-30-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 10:02 PM
jd-woodlands
Intermediate

Well here’s the latest updates. They were able to secure me an engine and said it should ship by end of this week. So some good news there, I figured it may take months…

they also said they found the issue with the engine. I didn’t catch all of the technical details but some sort or brass or metal seal that helps with oil pressure or leaks around the cylinder/piston was installed incorrectly (bad fitment, not straight?) and broke/found it’s way in to the top side of the piston. Randomly that piece would interfere with the piston movement and create low pressure and misfire conditions. As a result of that, bits of metal migrated to the cylinder area and caused damage which would require replacement of the engine.

the SA also said the engine is coming fully assembled, so once it arrives it’s a quick turnaround on the car. Also, they advised PCNA would more than likely reimburse me for my payments while the car was out, and possible some sort of accessories if I wanted.

Now I just have to wait and hope the next time I pick it up I’ll have it for more than a couple of hours.
The following 3 users liked this post by jd-woodlands:
n4v4nod (06-13-2021), porscheflat6 (06-30-2021), slilley (06-14-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 11:37 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Well here’s the latest updates. They were able to secure me an engine and said it should ship by end of this week. So some good news there, I figured it may take months…

they also said they found the issue with the engine. I didn’t catch all of the technical details but some sort or brass or metal seal that helps with oil pressure or leaks around the cylinder/piston was installed incorrectly (bad fitment, not straight?) and broke/found it’s way in to the top side of the piston. Randomly that piece would interfere with the piston movement and create low pressure and misfire conditions. As a result of that, bits of metal migrated to the cylinder area and caused damage which would require replacement of the engine.

the SA also said the engine is coming fully assembled, so once it arrives it’s a quick turnaround on the car. Also, they advised PCNA would more than likely reimburse me for my payments while the car was out, and possible some sort of accessories if I wanted.

Now I just have to wait and hope the next time I pick it up I’ll have it for more than a couple of hours.
yowza…… glad they’re taking care of you quickly and I hope you get some compensation

welcome to the new engine club!
Old 06-30-2021, 02:00 PM
jd-woodlands
Intermediate

Hopefully last update! Engine arrived and is in the car, should be getting it back today or tomorrow. PCNA is hooking me up with some compensation that I feel is fair, they are certainly faithful to the brand and its customers.

Time to enjoy the car again and see how the new Soul OAP's sound with a new Cargraphic Valve controller installed!
The following users liked this post:
phefner (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 02:01 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Hopefully last update! Engine arrived and is in the car, should be getting it back today or tomorrow. PCNA is hooking me up with some compensation that I feel is fair, they are certainly faithful to the brand and its customers.

Time to enjoy the car again and see how the new Soul OAP's sound with a new Cargraphic Valve controller installed!
That's good news and a good turn around - fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: '21 GT4 - Repeated Engine Control Fault, Car shuddering