Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 03:33 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
Your post raises many questions. Was it a stop sale car? Had it been repaired? If it was repaired did it receive a replacement engine or replacement con-rods?
Based on my spreadsheet, he took delivery in February 2021 so it should not be part of the suspension nor con rod recall. As I understand it, he may have been affected by the TPMS shortage and he said he was actually on the way to the dealership to get the TPMS issue resolved when he lost oil pressure on the freeway. It seems that PCNA told him they had an engine available to replace but then upon further research, PCNA realized the engine they had marked for josephr25's car was already marked for someone else's car that happened to be for a con rod recall.

We should all be caught up now....
Old 09-16-2021, 03:35 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,499 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Based on my spreadsheet, he took delivery in February 2021 so it should not be part of the suspension nor con rod recall. As I understand it, he may have been affected by the TPMS shortage and he said he was actually on the way to the dealership to get the TPMS issue resolved when he lost oil pressure on the freeway. It seems that PCNA told him they had an engine available to replace but then upon further research, PCNA realized the engine they had marked for josephr25's car was already marked for someone else's car that happened to be for a con rod recall.

We should all be caught up now....
Not sure why he posted in this thread to begin with LOL. People waiting all summer for an engine have enough stress without (wrongly) thinking that a guy just had his new one blow up. That's why I asked, and he should dig up that thread where the other guy had his replaced quickly as a comparable for his issue.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:38 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josephr25
Not a stop sale car. I bought it off the showroom floor in February. No emails, snail mail, or phone calls concerning the connecting rods. Once they saw the oil they made their decision to get a new engine.
One thing to note though is if you push for PCNA to buy back the car, you will lose out on the unicorn color (Miami Blue) since it's no longer available. I don't even think Miami Blue is available through PTS. Will you replace the car or go a completely different direction if PCNA agrees to buy back? Maybe Shark Blue?
Old 09-16-2021, 03:39 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Not sure why he posted in this thread to begin with LOL. People waiting all summer for an engine have enough stress without (wrongly) thinking that a guy just had his new one blow up. That's why I asked, and he should dig up that thread where the other guy had his replaced quickly as a comparable for his issue.
I can see how that would cause confusion and stress.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:42 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
One thing to note though is if you push for PCNA to buy back the car, you will lose out on the unicorn color (Miami Blue) since it's no longer available. I don't even think Miami Blue is available through PTS. Will you replace the car or go a completely different direction if PCNA agrees to buy back? Maybe Shark Blue?
Yes, I made that point too... it's a PTS color at this point. Edit: not even available via PTS? Well that would just add to the argument.

I just got lazy making another thread or searching for another one. I haven't really been active for a while for obvious reasons, just wanted to throw my engine into this engine-related thread. Most likely because inventory for new engines now = 0. I'll make a resolution thread once there is a path going forward.

Edit: if this ends up being a buyback I might consider options from other brands. It might be fun seeing what's out there. But a manual mid-engined Porsche is hard to walk away from

Carry on...

Last edited by josephr25; 09-16-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:07 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

There is a small, but rapidly increasing risk, that the 4.0 NA in the 718s is destined for 996 level notoriety. I walked away from the 8 year warranty and ordered a replacement that has yet to be built. The unlimited mileage warranty seems really appealing about now.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:22 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Andy at RS-Xperience, owns a 991.2 RS, purchased a BMW M2 CS for a daily driver. I’ve been a passenger in it going back and forth to his Smokies events. The CS is an amazing car in the mountains. Pretty close to a 4 passenger GT4.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by josephr25
Yes, I made that point too... it's a PTS color at this point. Edit: not even available via PTS? Well that would just add to the argument.

I just got lazy making another thread or searching for another one. I haven't really been active for a while for obvious reasons, just wanted to throw my engine into this engine-related thread. Most likely because inventory for new engines now = 0. I'll make a resolution thread once there is a path going forward.

Edit: if this ends up being a buyback I might consider options from other brands. It might be fun seeing what's out there. But a manual mid-engined Porsche is hard to walk away from

Carry on...
Still would like to know how many miles on the engine?

Good luck with the process!
Old 09-16-2021, 04:33 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,066 Likes on 1,761 Posts

I'll be purchasing a extended warranty so I rest easy for a number of years. I've heard good things about Fidelity, I think is the name.

I have an 8 year transferable warranty on my GT350. It seemed like s good purchase just for the resale value alone, and that was before I heard about how many engines needed to be replaced under warranty. It's a $30k motor. I paid $ 1500 for the 8/36 B2B Ford warranty.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (09-17-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 04:37 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Still would like to know how many miles on the engine?

Good luck with the process!
Around 4800-5000. It went from a daily driver February-July (about 4000 miles), then became a weekend car at that point (about 1000).
Old 09-16-2021, 04:40 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
There is a small, but rapidly increasing risk, that the 4.0 NA in the 718s is destined for 996 level notoriety. I walked away from the 8 year warranty and ordered a replacement that has yet to be built. The unlimited mileage warranty seems really appealing about now.
Let's just hope for everybody else's sake mine was just a one-off. I was able to at least drive mine for half a year. Can't imagine waiting for that long after putting the money down.
Tennyson (09-18-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 04:43 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Andy at RS-Xperience, owns a 991.2 RS, purchased a BMW M2 CS for a daily driver. I’ve been a passenger in it going back and forth to his Smokies events. The CS is an amazing car in the mountains. Pretty close to a 4 passenger GT4.
I can't imagine going back to a BMW, my last one was a maintenance nightmare after the warranty was up.

Who knows, things might change quickly, but the rona and the chip supply definitely do not help this situation.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:50 PM
nolmsted
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Boxster gts

Great news - just got the call my boxster was just picked up at the port of Baltimore and will be at my dealer Saturday

it arrived at port March 26th and I was right in the middle of the vin numbers that were affected
The following 4 users liked this post by nolmsted:
fiorentm (09-16-2021), Paiceyfan (09-16-2021), Susan Schneider (09-16-2021), UncleDude (09-18-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 05:22 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by nolmsted
Great news - just got the call my boxster was just picked up at the port of Baltimore and will be at my dealer Saturday

it arrived at port March 26th and I was right in the middle of the vin numbers that were affected
My car arrived in the port of Benicia, California on the same day...encouraging...
Susan Schneider (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 06:35 PM
corner worker
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
@corner worker I'm going to be a PITA and ask for both profile and rear view shots please.

Spoiler down, as long as I'm asking. (I know, very demanding. But we're all just OCD around here and this is our safe place.)

-tnx!
Hah, I didn't know the spoiler was up until I got out. My son was with me and he constantly puts it up on me. I will see what I can do about your requests.

I have been traveling all week for work, but the weekend shows promise if the rain will stay away.

Last edited by corner worker; 09-16-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4