Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 05:24 PM
Susan Schneider
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Imagine this scenario with a hip replacement:

‘Hello, Mr. Smith? We hate to inform you that there is a manufacturing problem with your hardware. You will need to confine yourself to your bed for the next 3 - 4 months while we try to get new parts. Regrettably our sales department will not allow us to secure parts from from future customers already in the manufacturing queue.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:12 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
+10000

Porsche should have taken care of us conrod folks instead of churning out cars to people after us.

My request for a brand new allocation since March was basically ignored. Get in line after the new folks.

So here I am, have to wait another year. If I didn't pre-trade my car, I probably would have walked.

I feel really bad for folks that opted for repair instead of replacement. i don't think they are getting their cars a lot earlier. The delay to get all the parts to complete the repair is such a logistic screw up.
If you ordered the car and you’re waiting for it, they categorize you as a closed sale. Yes, you’re unhappy but you’re still a closed sale. They can’t fix it or make you happy so they lose no sleep over it.

I found my dealer and PCNA unhelpful for that reason.

The only way I got any help was going to another dealer where I was a potential sale. Suddenly they worked to make me happy. You want an allocation? Here’s an allocation. You want PTS? Here’s a PTS slot. I’ll suffer another three months of delay but I’m getting a car I’ll like better and it’s on a standardized schedule. I’m not wondering where the engine is or when it will be built or delivered.

The problem with cars on stop-sale that need an engine is that Porsche doesn’t have a process for that. They’re making it up as they go and it shows.
The following 3 users liked this post by sanderabernathy:
johnycarrera (08-06-2021), PeeekingDuck (08-09-2021), Z06jerry (08-06-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 09:39 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,096 Likes on 481 Posts

If there’s one thing I’ve been reminded of every time I’ve been to Germany. It’s that things work great when their systems and processes are followed, but they are completely and utterly useless if the standard process breaks down. They really don’t improvise well.

I really feel for those of you who are caught up in this mess.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:32 AM
beeker
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't want to get too excited, but my SA actually came back with something. He indicated they were expecting instructions on the process of replacement shortly. Of course no details on actual timing, but thought maybe someone with better knowledge on how the sausage is might have an idea. How far in advance are the instructions shared, compared to when engine arrives?
Old 08-07-2021, 11:46 AM
nothingman
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by beeker
I don't want to get too excited, but my SA actually came back with something. He indicated they were expecting instructions on the process of replacement shortly. Of course no details on actual timing, but thought maybe someone with better knowledge on how the sausage is might have an idea. How far in advance are the instructions shared, compared to when engine arrives?
I ordered my car thru the GM at my dealer (all the SA’s were busy when I ordered) and he told me a while ago he already has the directions and parts list for everything he needs to perform the swap. He thinks they can get the swap in 2 days or so, and then they have to order a certification sticker from PAG once complete that takes about a week to arrive.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:39 AM
afisherunc
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 44 Posts

Update: Engine arrived today and should be starting install this week! A little teaser below.

I mentioned to my dealership the sticker needed for the engine and the delays it has caused folks taking delivery after the install. They confirmed that the sticker is a requirement, but that they believe they request it as soon as they have the engine and can pull the serial number off of it. The sticker should take 3-4 days to arrive. Assuming that works out as planned, I wanted to note this for the group - be sure the folks doing your work request the sticker as soon as the engine arrives, and not after full install.

The following 6 users liked this post by afisherunc:
AdamIsAdam (08-10-2021), fiorentm (08-10-2021), needmoregarage (08-10-2021), P-car-Vancouver (08-10-2021), UncleDude (08-10-2021), Webfiero (08-10-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-10-2021, 11:42 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by afisherunc
Update: Engine arrived today and should be starting install this week! A little teaser below.

I mentioned to my dealership the sticker needed for the engine and the delays it has caused folks taking delivery after the install. They confirmed that the sticker is a requirement, but that they believe they request it as soon as they have the engine and can pull the serial number off of it. The sticker should take 3-4 days to arrive. Assuming that works out as planned, I wanted to note this for the group - be sure the folks doing your work request the sticker as soon as the engine arrives, and not after full install.

That flat 6 is sure a thing of beauty! Hopefully you’ll be driving her soon!
Old 08-10-2021, 11:54 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Imagine this scenario with a hip replacement:

‘Hello, Mr. Smith? We hate to inform you that there is a manufacturing problem with your hardware. You will need to confine yourself to your bed for the next 3 - 4 months while we try to get new parts. Regrettably our sales department will not allow us to secure parts from from future customers already in the manufacturing queue.
That actually has happened (recall of arthroplasty components). Fortunately, an engine swap is far easier on the owner than a revision hip arthroplasty.
And engines don't get infection either.
The following users liked this post:
Susan Schneider (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 03:00 PM
Webfiero
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by afisherunc

afisherunc is spot on regarding getting ahead on the required sticker after your new engine installation. My new engine install was completed 3 weeks ago and the sticker promptly ordered. I am still waiting for my sticker to arrive. This further delay may or may not be avoided by getting your dealer doing your installation to press PAG to expedite sending the but I wish I had been pressing the issue at the time of my installation. Live and learn.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:23 PM
Susan Schneider
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Webfiero
afisherunc is spot on regarding getting ahead on the required sticker after your new engine installation. My new engine install was completed 3 weeks ago and the sticker promptly ordered. I am still waiting for my sticker to arrive. This further delay may or may not be avoided by getting your dealer doing your installation to press PAG to expedite sending the but I wish I had been pressing the issue at the time of my installation. Live and learn.

I think it’s out of their control. I believe they have to complete the work before they can request the sticker.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:29 PM
afisherunc
Instructor

Geeze, you have had to wait 3 weeks for the sticker already? That seems like someone made an error. I hope that isn't a common timeline.

Originally Posted by Susan Schneider
I think it’s out of their control. I believe they have to complete the work before they can request the sticker.
I'm working to confirm this, but I was told by the service manager yesterday that all he needs is the serial number off the engine to order the sticker. The engine arrived today so hopefully tomorrow I can confirm whether he got the sticker ordered. I'll be sure to report what I find out.

Last edited by afisherunc; 08-10-2021 at 03:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by afisherunc:
8haggis (08-10-2021), Susan Schneider (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 04:40 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,498 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Regarding the stickers, I would recommend you have your dealers contact Porsche North America directly and confirm the car can be released without the stickers (FFS!). I know two fellows in Canada who did this, and Porsche agreed. They're currently driving and will return it to get the stickers once they arrive.

Logic should prevail, once in a while.

Last edited by UncleDude; 08-10-2021 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z06jerry (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 05:17 PM
Webfiero
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Regarding the stickers, I would recommend you have your dealers contact Porsche North America directly and confirm the car can be released without the stickers (FFS!). I know one fellow in Canada who did this, and Porsche agreed. He's currently driving his car and will return it to get the sticker once it arrives. Logic should prevail, once in a while.
My dealer has firmly told me “policy” won’t let him release my car while he waits for my sticker. You may be right that we go directly to Porsche N.A. to find out what if any Federal laws would be violated or if instead this is the company’s arbitrary policy. I’ll report back what I find out.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:22 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,498 Likes on 2,253 Posts

My dealer has firmly told me “policy” won’t let him release my car while he waits for my sticker. You may be right that we go directly to Porsche N.A. to find out what if any Federal laws would be violated or if instead this is the company’s arbitrary policy. I’ll report back what I find out.
If your dealer got that answer from Porsche USA then there's not much you can do. I can't see why it would be different here than there, but who knows. It is ridiculous either way.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:39 PM
afisherunc
Instructor

FYI - service manager confirmed they requested the sticker today; however, they have no way to "track it."

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4