Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GTS 4.0 PASM

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 01:25 PM
ChiHawk
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GTS 4.0 PASM

Hello All, new member here!

Getting ready to place an order for a Boxster 4.0. Had a 2002 manual Boxster in 2002 and owned many cars since then (BMW, Mercedes, Maserati, Porsche) and through all the ownership experiences and test drives, the Boxster is still the most fun I've had with a street car and finally, Porsche has dropped the 911 engine (minus turbos) into the Boxter sans hardcore models (GT4/Spyder) so I'm all in.

Question 1: I will not be tracking the car (I do track but open-wheel cars) and live near SF with inclines and lots of curvy mountainous roads, and also going into the city a couple times a month. As such, should I forgo the standard suspension in favor of PASM in effort to 1) a bit softer ride on broken pavement improving ride quality without sacrificing much performance 2) scraping the front end (wish they had the nose lift button as in the 911)? I realize there is certainly subjectivity here and the best option is to test drive, but that is impossible given the limited availability of the 4.0 718s.

Question 2: Manual vs. PDK; does the manual have auto-lock to prevent roll-back when on steep inclines such as waiting to creep up with traffic to a stop sign? That is a killer in the SF Bay Area and will force me to an PDK if not.

Thank you in advance for the feedback!
Old 03-15-2021, 01:57 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

I have had both the PASM in 2.5 GTS and now SPASM in 4.0 GTS. I use the car mainly for city driving and also spirited drives on back roads. I would very much suggest keeping SPASM (standard suspension on 4.0 GTS). I haven't scraped once, the ride feels very similar to PASM in terms of comfort and ground clearance but does feel a bit more sharp and sporty without being at all jarring. Perfect for a GTS. If I was buying used I would make sure the car had SPASM over just about any other option.

I'm not sure about your second question but I believe so. Either way the manual is SO much fun (esp on those curvy mountain roads) and probably the best manual/clutch combo I have driven. Highly recommend the manual as well as long as it is not your daily driver and you are stuck in traffic all day.
The following 2 users liked this post by NiteCrawlr:
ChiHawk (03-15-2021), slilley (03-16-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 02:05 PM
ChiHawk
AutoX

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
I have had both the PASM in 2.5 GTS and now SPASM in 4.0 GTS. I use the car mainly for city driving and also spirited drives on back roads. I would very much suggest keeping SPASM (standard suspension on 4.0 GTS). I haven't scraped once, the ride feels very similar to PASM in terms of comfort and ground clearance but does feel a bit more sharp and sporty without being at all jarring. Perfect for a GTS. If I was buying used I would make sure the car had SPASM over just about any other option.

I'm not sure about your second question but I believe so. Either way the manual is SO much fun (esp on those curvy mountain roads) and probably the best manual/clutch combo I have driven. Highly recommend the manual as well as long as it is not your daily driver and you are stuck in traffic all day.
Thank you for the feedback!

Interesting that SPASM and PASM have the same ride quality, I'd expect PASM to be a bit softer and a little less stiff mainly noticeable on speed bumps, broken pavement, etc.

My wife and I only have 2 cars collectively ("her car" is a 2021 GLE53) we only put about 5K to 7K miles a year on each of them so daily driver yes I guess but neither see typical daily driver miles. We don't sit in traffic all that often besides when the Golden Gate bridge is clogged up or a couple times a month heading to the airport.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:23 PM
rjag2034
Racer

Received 394 Likes on 208 Posts

I have SPASM and manual, the SPASM is fine, its not harsh at all. I'm glad I didnt go for PASM.

The manual has hill-brake or whatever they call it, it holds the car on an incline over 5% until you release the clutch. I'm quite impressed with it as I'm a bit old school and was taught to hold the handbrake while releasing the clutch (which obviously we cant do with electric brake button!)

All in the BGTS 4.0 is no probs as a DD with SPASM and manual.
The following users liked this post:
ChiHawk (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 02:42 PM
ChiHawk
AutoX

Originally Posted by rjag2034
I have SPASM and manual, the SPASM is fine, its not harsh at all. I'm glad I didnt go for PASM.

The manual has hill-brake or whatever they call it, it holds the car on an incline over 5% until you release the clutch. I'm quite impressed with it as I'm a bit old school and was taught to hold the handbrake while releasing the clutch (which obviously we cant do with electric brake button!)

All in the BGTS 4.0 is no probs as a DD with SPASM and manual.
Thank you for the feedback, that is helpful!
Old 03-15-2021, 02:52 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

There are a few differences in the two suspensions. Our roads around here are pretty good and the front end with sPASM is no lower than a Golf R and I never rubbed that on anything, so sPASM it was for my order. Here's a quote from this article.

This 62.5-percent bump in displacement and 50-percent increase in cylinder count, along with the conspicuous absence of the dual-clutch PDK gearbox from the options list (soon to be added, however), is the primary upgrade from the GTS 2.5—but isn't the whole story. According to Porsche, the GTS 4.0 we're testing adds thicker anti-roll bars, recalibrated PASM dampers, upgraded chassis mounts, slightly larger brakes, and upgraded wheels. All of this extra hotness, in addition to the larger engine and extra standard features like heated seats and dynamic lights, adds roughly 130 pounds compared to the 718 Boxster GTS 2.5
Old 03-15-2021, 03:04 PM
omar0022
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 115 Posts

I have BGTS4.0 with PASM and Manual. I went with PASM because the roads around my area are not the best. I have good friend with a BGTS (981) Manual and I've noticed he's more cautious around bumps/potholes to avoid scraping. I've heard him scrape once and its painful to hear and that is why I decided to go with PASM with my 4.0. If you go with SPASM you will just have to be more aware of your road conditions and be ready to adjust.

The "hill hold" feature is wonderful! Seattle has some steep hills too and great to have. Just make sure the Auto Start/Stop feature is off because it makes it feel odd if the conditions are right. For example, on a hill with the hold feature on and the engine turns off.. take your foot off the clutch and the engine starts and you still have to wait a split sec for the hold to let go.. feels unnatural.

Omar

Last edited by omar0022; 03-15-2021 at 06:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by omar0022:
ChiHawk (03-15-2021), Goodwood (03-19-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 06:09 PM
buzzlulu
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Northeast here with terrible country roads. My Boxster GTS 4.0 was delivered in January with PASM. I am very happy
Old 03-15-2021, 06:14 PM
ChiHawk
AutoX

Thank you for all the feedback, I'm not sure if my decision is easier or harder now but all good info! Thank you
Old 03-15-2021, 06:36 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiHawk
Thank you for all the feedback, I'm not sure if my decision is easier or harder now but all good info! Thank you
It's probably the option that has the most polarized opinions, at least on RL. I went for the PASM and have no regrets.

Bear in mind the various suspensions for the 718:

Standard - comes on the Base and S 718 and also on the 981.
PASM - lowered 10 mm from the standard. Available on Base, S and no-cost on GTS (and on 981)
SPASM or Sport PASM - lowered 20 mm from standard. Standard on GTS The 981 had an option called X73
GT4/Spyder - parts from 911 GT3 - lowered 30 mm.

Even the standard, non-lowered suspension is terrific: there is no bad choice.
The following 4 users liked this post by OttawaSteve:
ChiHawk (03-15-2021), omar0022 (03-15-2021), rjag2034 (03-16-2021), seahack (03-16-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 12:23 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

I'll add a couple things to this post. If you're interested 50/50 in a manual, definitely go for it. A friend showed me a post of someone selling their PDK for a manual after 350 miles. It didn't take them long coming from a 987 and a 981 manual.
My 2nd Generation Panamera GTS has the hill hold and it works in the driveway...I didn't think it was that steep of a hill, but it's enough to keep it held and it works great. I'm sure in a manual it wouldn't be an issue...I realize you're in SF, so hills are a bit more extreme there, but we have some hills around here too and I've gotten plenty comfortable driving stick and never once was really worried about rolling back into someone worst case. I think the new hill hold will work perfectly as it will release once it sees there is proper forward movement (gives you time to get the rpms up and the clutch disengaged before rolling back or stalling). Best of luck, I'd highly encourage going manual. Having access to both 6MT in my 987S and the PDK in the Panamera, even with all the stop lights and in town driving, I can't not have the best manual in the biz! But I get it isn't for everyone.
The following users liked this post:
rjag2034 (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 02:06 AM
Cpt Voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 37 Posts

I live in San Francisco and just picked up a Boxster GTS with the manual and SPASM. I have only had it a few weeks, but so far I have no issues with ride quality. I have yet to try it on any big hills, but I understand your concern. I recall some whiteknuckle moments going up Fillmore in my old STI manual when I first got it years ago. Eventually I got comfortable and learned a few tricks like easing my nose into the intersection.

I had a 981S with PDK and absolutely loved it. That being said, the manual is the way to go IMO.

Quick Reply: GTS 4.0 PASM