Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another bozo’s spyder review

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 09:04 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Guys thank you very much for the kind words and Im glad the overall impressions are positive. Makes it worth the effort.

Originally Posted by VT Skier
I greatly enjoyed the review, and I hope there are posts from the reviewer (or others) as to how much difference disconnecting the Sound Symposer makes in the cabin. Not a bozo at all, just an enthusiast sharing very valid points, all of which I agree with, personally.

Beautiful drivers' car, which requires compromises, and appropriate expectations, for "everyday" use.

I would have liked to hear more about the MT vs the 911 MT, which it sounds like he's owned, or driven, in the past.
The two big things for me vs the carrera T (which has the exact same short shift console as the GT4) are the fact that a manual really suits the NA engine more. My T was tuned with stage 2 GIAC and the torque was nuts. As soon as you came off the gas to do a redline shift the whole car would buck if you got back on it. In the 718 First gear is violent but the other ones are much more balanced and smooth even shifting at redline. The 6 speed just feels right, particularly 5 and 6. The 5-6-7 in the 7 speed is a complete disaster, much easier to miss gates and the lockout is wierd. 7th feels like reverse. Also regular carreras have a much longer throw.

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Nice work, I enjoyed watching it as I kill the time for my own to arrive. I much prefer owner reviews to the more polished professional reviews that spit out the same clichés…although I watch all of those as well! People that have never tried to make a watchable YouTube video may not have an appreciation for how hard it really is. Your video is better than my previous attempts...I'm better behind the camera than in front of it
Thanks man. The way I look at it, I have a day job and dont make money off this. I do it for the community. As long as I dont get into any trouble its a good memory. Also these are filmed as a one take, because the wife starts getting angry if filming plus editing takes over 4 hours

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Yeah, you can see the skipping a bit. I am ok with a suspension that does that on a sports car AS LONG as it doesn't upset the chassis and cause stability issues. Reminds me of my old C5 Z06, the first year 2001, they had the shocks dialed up quite a bit and I would skip over expansion joints. Once you get used to it though and can trust it won't spin you around, then it was a none issue. But the first few times at speed were a bit unnerving.
Its pretty hard to upset the car, you have to be a complete hooligan. Its definitely lost some of the crashiness with the DSC, but the springs appear to be super stiff so not much you can do other than swap them or live with it. The roads around me particularly suck but Id rather have a stiff car that I can control by modulating the speed and throttle input than a soft car that has lost its sharpness. That said, if I lose control of the car mid corner its probably gonna be my fault and not the suspension. Knock on wood.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
nice work - BTW I swapped the OEM air filters for BMC yesterday, improves things somewhat sound wise - boing to install the Soul OPF and Akra slipon next weekend!
Thanks Larry. Mine are on the shelf waiting for the salt to go away. Cant wait.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:17 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

[QUOTE=Rennolazine;17298682]Guys thank you very much for the kind words and Im glad the overall impressions are positive. Makes it worth the effort.

The two big things for me vs the carrera T (which has the exact same short shift console as the GT4) are the fact that a manual really suits the NA engine more. My T was tuned with stage 2 GIAC and the torque was nuts. As soon as you came off the gas to do a redline shift the whole car would buck if you got back on it. In the 718 First gear is violent but the other ones are much more balanced and smooth even shifting at redline. The 6 speed just feels right, particularly 5 and 6. The 5-6-7 in the 7 speed is a complete disaster, much easier to miss gates and the lockout is wierd. 7th feels like reverse. Also regular carreras have a much longer throw.

Thanks man. The way I look at it, I have a day job and dont make money off this. I do it for the community. As long as I dont get into any trouble its a good memory. Also these are filmed as a one take, because the wife starts getting angry if filming plus editing takes over 4 hours

Its pretty hard to upset the car, you have to be a complete hooligan. Its definitely lost some of the crashiness with the DSC, but the springs appear to be super stiff so not much you can do other than swap them or live with it. The roads around me particularly suck but Id rather have a stiff car that I can control by modulating the speed and throttle input than a soft car that has lost its sharpness. That said, if I lose control of the car mid corner its probably gonna be my fault and not the suspension. Knock on wood.

Yeah, I don't have mine yet, but from what I have heard (and it makes sense), you just can't get away with a softer spring set-up on this car because of the strut rear-end. I believe that is one of the reasons they went with the spring rates they did, to limit rear travel on the rebound to not get the toe to out of whack.

The infamous video of that one YouTuber talking to Andy about the GT4 asked why the GT4 didn't have a multilink rear-end and Andy's replay was that it didn't need one. Although that is probably somewhat of a cope out statement, as we have seen from those that track, that you do indeed need aftermarket rear-toe links under heavy braking to keep the rear from wiggling, but back to the point his response on that it didn't;t need it was probably because they chose to go with stiffer springs.

I am with you though, I would rather have a stiff composed car over one that is unstable and all over the place and not confidence inspiring (UM, I am talking to you BMW M3!!!)
The following users liked this post:
Rennolazine (03-15-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 01:22 AM
StilettoPat
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice review - I think it was an honest appraisal of a great car performed without rose colored glasses. I for one appreciate your efforts.
The following 2 users liked this post by StilettoPat:
brucewinter (03-16-2021), Rennolazine (03-16-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 05:59 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

So i watched it again. I would add the following...
things i like
- auto blip button. I believe the only other car that allows you to control this independently of tc is the speedster. Dont know if the 992 does but i doubt it
- specific to my car (the bose). Its pretty dang good and i would have never spec’ed it other than resale and my SA busting my ***** about it. Glad i got it. Was unsure whether i could hear it but even fast with the top down it works really well for me and im enjoying it. Worth $900

things i dont like
-rear visibility (really bad), but it is remedied largely by a passenger side aspheric mirror
-woulda loved some 305 in the rear from the factory
-led with pdls arent that great. They were an expensive option for what it is (much cheaper on the regular cayman also). If i had to do it over woulda got the black upgraded bixenon
Old 03-17-2021, 06:28 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

I don't watch any of the "professional" reviews...most a load of claptrap.

Enjoyed a review by an owner.

With respect to NLS; loved it in my M7 C7 Z06, and as you note always on in the PDK!

Well played!
The following users liked this post:
Rennolazine (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 06:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
So i watched it again. I would add the following...
things i like
- auto blip button. I believe the only other car that allows you to control this independently of tc is the speedster. Dont know if the 992 does but i doubt it
- specific to my car (the bose). Its pretty dang good and i would have never spec’ed it other than resale and my SA busting my ***** about it. Glad i got it. Was unsure whether i could hear it but even fast with the top down it works really well for me and im enjoying it. Worth $900

things i dont like
-rear visibility (really bad), but it is remedied largely by a passenger side aspheric mirror
-woulda loved some 305 in the rear from the factory
-led with pdls arent that great. They were an expensive option for what it is (much cheaper on the regular cayman also). If i had to do it over woulda got the black upgraded bixenon

Quick Reply: Another bozo’s spyder review