Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another bozo’s spyder review

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021 | 09:29 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Default Another bozo’s spyder review

Also has bonus footage of full kline with valve controller
Feel free to roast the guy that made it.
718 Spyder Review: 5 things I Love and Hate
The following 4 users liked this post by Rennolazine:
998R (03-15-2021), Alpha Ice (03-15-2021), BC Rox (03-15-2021), Spyder718 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-14-2021 | 09:58 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Also has bonus footage of full kline with valve controller
Feel free to roast the guy that made it.
718 Spyder Review: 5 things I Love and Hate
https://youtu.be/oZEPhavr1zg
No roasting required, not a bad job, great to hear some honest opinions from an actual owner!

Old 03-14-2021 | 10:18 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Pete, great job! Down to earth, direct, straightforward, driver to driver. Looking forward to more from you on your exhaust for the Spyder -- and that Kline sounds sweet!
Old 03-14-2021 | 10:50 PM
drdog
Intermediate

As he admits, the 5 things he doesn't like are nit picky. Yes they are! They don't seem to be an issue when he "goes for beans". And, if you eat enough beans you'll have more exhaust sound. I agree with the final conclusion, NA.convertible with 6 speed is likely the last of a dying breed.
Old 03-14-2021 | 10:54 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

I enjoyed that. I would’ve been nice to hear the stock exhaust compared to the other.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
dnimi123 (03-15-2021), theEnd (03-15-2021)
Old 03-14-2021 | 11:08 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I enjoyed that. I would’ve been nice to hear the stock exhaust compared to the other.
he verbalized instead of demonstrated... said stock sounds like a hairdryer. I’d say that’s pretty darn accurate
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021 | 11:58 PM
Jimmycrack
Track Day

Great review, I concur with almost everything. Refreshingly devoid of the usual reviewer cliches and platitudes, and thankfully not another drone shot zooming away from the car at the end. I would say the throttle response and handling are standout features of the car. I personally kind of like the piped-in intake noises with the top up but agree that with the top down there’s just not enough exhaust sound to compete with the ambient noise— when you get to over 5k rpms in 2nd gear WOT, the wind noise is already considerable.
Rennolazine (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021 | 12:29 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

I agree with him that the gearing is good. It gives you more control under 83mph 2nd gear, and under 118mph 3rd gear than you have by needing a 3rd a 4th shift at those speeds. I think it's going to help at the track and I'll find out soon.
Rennolazine (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021 | 12:31 AM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

As several replies mentioned above, it is an honest, down-to-earth, helpful review. I quite like it. The sound-recording quality could be improved though.
Just one more follow-up question, how is the visibility when you have your roof up? I saw a post that mentioned concerns about visibility and a potential solution of installing a blind-spot side-view mirror. Here is the link to the mirror: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU718ASP.html. I am wondering what your thoughts are on this matter.
Old 03-15-2021 | 01:43 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

I agree on the pipped in induction noise, it is a little over the top DB wise.

When I get mine, I will play with plugging it up and seeing what that does. The GT4 is a great car that likes to rev. If you spend much time driving it as intended, that level of induction noise would get tiring on the ear drums after a bit. It doesn't need to sound like you are in an Ariel Atom all the time.
Old 03-15-2021 | 06:53 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
No roasting required, not a bad job, great to hear some honest opinions from an actual owner!
thanks i do this for the community

Originally Posted by AviBen
Pete, great job! Down to earth, direct, straightforward, driver to driver. Looking forward to more from you on your exhaust for the Spyder -- and that Kline sounds sweet!
looking forward to seeing the spyder soon!

Originally Posted by drdog
As he admits, the 5 things he doesn't like are nit picky. Yes they are! They don't seem to be an issue when he "goes for beans". And, if you eat enough beans you'll have more exhaust sound. I agree with the final conclusion, NA.convertible with 6 speed is likely the last of a dying breed.
I was reaching pretty deep for the negatives, wanted to do a balanced review

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Im glad you enjoyed it. More footage coming

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
he verbalized instead of demonstrated... said stock sounds like a hairdryer. I’d say that’s pretty darn accurate
Ben Clowes came up with that one, i had to steal it

Originally Posted by Jimmycrack
Great review, I concur with almost everything. Refreshingly devoid of the usual reviewer cliches and platitudes, and thankfully not another drone shot zooming away from the car at the end. I would say the throttle response and handling are standout features of the car. I personally kind of like the piped-in intake noises with the top up but agree that with the top down there’s just not enough exhaust sound to compete with the ambient noise— when you get to over 5k rpms in 2nd gear WOT, the wind noise is already considerable.
yeah i agree and should have mentioned that once you are at highway speeds the ambient noise is loud

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
I agree with him that the gearing is good. It gives you more control under 83mph 2nd gear, and under 118mph 3rd gear than you have by needing a 3rd a 4th shift at those speeds. I think it's going to help at the track and I'll find out soon.
i suspect this will be super fun on track. Driving full send with one hand always gives me the ******* so i like shifting less on track

Originally Posted by Dr.JDK
As several replies mentioned above, it is an honest, down-to-earth, helpful review. I quite like it. The sound-recording quality could be improved though.
Just one more follow-up question, how is the visibility when you have your roof up? I saw a post that mentioned concerns about visibility and a potential solution of installing a blind-spot side-view mirror. Here is the link to the mirror: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU718ASP.html. I am wondering what your thoughts are on this matter.
thanks for watching. Visibility out the back window is terrible. I got the passenger side aspheric mirror from suncoast it is a godsend.

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I agree on the pipped in induction noise, it is a little over the top DB wise.

When I get mine, I will play with plugging it up and seeing what that does. The GT4 is a great car that likes to rev. If you spend much time driving it as intended, that level of induction noise would get tiring on the ear drums after a bit. It doesn't need to sound like you are in an Ariel Atom all the time.
i literally put a sock in the sound symposer but it only cut a small amount of the noise. I think it vibrates the firewall. I might completely disconnect it but getting in the engine bay is a pita on the spyder. Not sure about gt4 but i suspect its the same. Also notice how much my car skips when i give it full beans. Thats WITH the dsc controller
Old 03-15-2021 | 09:16 AM
VT Skier
Instructor

I greatly enjoyed the review, and I hope there are posts from the reviewer (or others) as to how much difference disconnecting the Sound Symposer makes in the cabin. Not a bozo at all, just an enthusiast sharing very valid points, all of which I agree with, personally.

Beautiful drivers' car, which requires compromises, and appropriate expectations, for "everyday" use.

I would have liked to hear more about the MT vs the 911 MT, which it sounds like he's owned, or driven, in the past.
Rennolazine (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021 | 12:44 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Nice work, I enjoyed watching it as I kill the time for my own to arrive. I much prefer owner reviews to the more polished professional reviews that spit out the same clichés…although I watch all of those as well! People that have never tried to make a watchable YouTube video may not have an appreciation for how hard it really is. Your video is better than my previous attempts...I'm better behind the camera than in front of it
Old 03-15-2021 | 04:18 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
thanks i do this for the community

looking forward to seeing the spyder soon!

I was reaching pretty deep for the negatives, wanted to do a balanced review

Im glad you enjoyed it. More footage coming

Ben Clowes came up with that one, i had to steal it

yeah i agree and should have mentioned that once you are at highway speeds the ambient noise is loud

i suspect this will be super fun on track. Driving full send with one hand always gives me the ******* so i like shifting less on track

thanks for watching. Visibility out the back window is terrible. I got the passenger side aspheric mirror from suncoast it is a godsend.

i literally put a sock in the sound symposer but it only cut a small amount of the noise. I think it vibrates the firewall. I might completely disconnect it but getting in the engine bay is a pita on the spyder. Not sure about gt4 but i suspect its the same. Also notice how much my car skips when i give it full beans. Thats WITH the dsc controller
Yeah, you can see the skipping a bit. I am ok with a suspension that does that on a sports car AS LONG as it doesn't upset the chassis and cause stability issues. Reminds me of my old C5 Z06, the first year 2001, they had the shocks dialed up quite a bit and I would skip over expansion joints. Once you get used to it though and can trust it won't spin you around, then it was a none issue. But the first few times at speed were a bit unnerving.
Old 03-15-2021 | 04:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

nice work - BTW I swapped the OEM air filters for BMC yesterday, improves things somewhat sound wise - boing to install the Soul OPF and Akra slipon next weekend!
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
dnimi123 (03-16-2021), Jeff Jones (03-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Another bozo’s spyder review