Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Why the break in? Your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021 | 04:10 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Will you change to a Winter set of Tires or maybe Tires & Wheels ???

Do you know if people where you live do the above ^^^ or simply park their Porsche cars in the Winter months ???

Here we can if we wish drive year-round.
(Note, I changed from Cup 2 to the Michelin PS4S tires)

Terry
I'll collect mine within the week, I'll have Alpins ready to go from a previous Panamera. I won't plan to drive it all the time, but if there's a nice sunny day, or it's cold but clear I'll bring it out. Anything really to help me get closer to redline before springtime.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alpha Ice:
tigerhonaker (10-13-2021), TikiLou (10-14-2021)
Old 10-12-2021 | 07:27 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Will you change to a Winter set of Tires or maybe Tires & Wheels ???

Do you know if people where you live do the above ^^^ or simply park their Porsche cars in the Winter months ???

Here we can if we wish drive year-round.
(Note, I changed from Cup 2 to the Michelin PS4S tires)

Terry
I’m living in Edmonton too so winters here suck pretty hard. They put crushed gravel on the roads which is like being hit with razor blades/the odd boulder, and a brine that corrodes stuff out fast, plus everyone thinks you need a truck or suv so those kick up way more stuff flying at you than a car would. Not many people drive sports cars in winter here. I did it, they’re actually fine with winter tires, but you just destroy a perfectly good car way too fast now so I haven’t done it in years. I don’t know many people that do it. I do see a couple cayman in my neighbourhood getting winter driven, and a 991.1. There used to be a guy with an awd lambo who would winter drive it.

I always had multiple sets of rims for every car so always used a set for winters. Usually I’ll store a car with a second set of rims on winter tires incase I need to move it out of my garage too. My garage seems to stay warm enough I wont bother with another set of rims for this winter, so I think the cup2s will be fine next year (my re71r’s I stored by the garage door were perfectly fine after 2-3 years).

Someday I’ll move back to Kelowna BC. The interior of bc is the warmest place in Canada (hit 121F this summer) but even then you still have ‘winter’ in the city for a bit and you’re basically trapped in the city for a good portion of the year because the mountain passes can randomly be death. You also aren’t legally allowed to drive without winter rated tires in the mountains so I’ll likely still ‘store’ my sports cars in winter there.

We only have a couple places where you could actually drive on summers all-year around in Canada. Victoria BC is the only place I'd say is guaranteed you can do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
Alpha Ice (10-14-2021), tigerhonaker (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021 | 12:27 AM
coldfire
Rennlist Member

Just want to add another anecdote to this thread. I did European Delivery of my Spyder just recently at the Porsche factory in Stuttgart. The delivery rep who presented me the car and explained everything on it instructed me as follows for break in: keep it under 4k RPM, varying engine speeds, until 1000 km. Break in is done after that.
The following 2 users liked this post by coldfire:
slilley (10-13-2021), Southbama (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021 | 01:09 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I’m not sure how you all do it. I took delivery of my car today and had to try so hard to keep it below 5k rpm. I’ll last a week at most before needing to explore the upper bounds of this car
Congratulations on finally getting your car! The pain is real to stay below 5000rpm. The miles rack up pretty quick though as these cars are so glorious to drive!
Old 10-13-2021 | 01:20 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Originally Posted by Zhao
I’m living in Edmonton too so winters here suck pretty hard. They put crushed gravel on the roads which is like being hit with razor blades/the odd boulder, and a brine that corrodes stuff out fast, plus everyone thinks you need a truck or suv so those kick up way more stuff flying at you than a car would. Not many people drive sports cars in winter here. I did it, they’re actually fine with winter tires, but you just destroy a perfectly good car way too fast now so I haven’t done it in years. I don’t know many people that do it. I do see a couple cayman in my neighbourhood getting winter driven, and a 991.1. There used to be a guy with an awd lambo who would winter drive it.

I always had multiple sets of rims for every car so always used a set for winters. Usually I’ll store a car with a second set of rims on winter tires incase I need to move it out of my garage too. My garage seems to stay warm enough I wont bother with another set of rims for this winter, so I think the cup2s will be fine next year (my re71r’s I stored by the garage door were perfectly fine after 2-3 years).

Someday I’ll move back to Kelowna BC. The interior of bc is the warmest place in Canada (hit 121F this summer) but even then you still have ‘winter’ in the city for a bit and you’re basically trapped in the city for a good portion of the year because the mountain passes can randomly be death. You also aren’t legally allowed to drive without winter rated tires in the mountains so I’ll likely still ‘store’ my sports cars in winter there.

We only have a couple places where you could actually drive on summers all-year around in Canada. Victoria BC is the only place I'd say is guaranteed you can do it.
I live in White Rock/South Surrey, BC suburb of Vancouver and I can confirm you can indeed drive your car safely here all winter as little to no salt used here, and if it’s needed after the rare snow fall, it washes away with the 1st rain after. My winter tires and wheels are going on tomorrow, but I’ve driven my last 3 cars (2 RWD BMW’s and an Audi S3) with summers on all winter except for a week or 2 when I then simply carpool with my wife in her Cayenne. You should consider the Coast instead of Kelowna as our weather is more moderate and no forest fires, but don’t tell your friends it’s a secret
The following 2 users liked this post by P-car-Vancouver:
tigerhonaker (10-13-2021), TikiLou (10-13-2021)
Old 10-14-2021 | 12:15 AM
Zhao
Drifting

I love the lower mainland but man, if you live in any of the core cities it seems like odds are you end up living in a 10 block bubble because it is so time consuming to get around. I lived in Richmond by Minoru park for a little bit 15+ years ago and pretty much stuck to within 3 blocks of no 3 road. I have a friend in new west, his whole family never leaves their area now that they work from home. I have a cousin a couple blocks from english bay they never leave their area either. The only friend who actually ventures all over to take advantage of what the area has to offer lives in poco.

I dont know how you guys break in a car there where you need to go for long drives. I also can't see going for pleasure drives unless you know super secret twisty roads I am totally not aware of .
The following users liked this post:
P-car-Vancouver (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021 | 12:37 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

I love the lower mainland but man, if you live in any of the core cities it seems like odds are you end up living in a 10 block bubble because it is so time consuming to get around. I lived in Richmond by Minoru park for a little bit 15+ years ago and pretty much stuck to within 3 blocks of no 3 road. I have a friend in new west, his whole family never leaves their area now that they work from home. I have a cousin a couple blocks from english bay they never leave their area either. The only friend who actually ventures all over to take advantage of what the area has to offer lives in poco.

I dont know how you guys break in a car there where you need to go for long drives. I also can't see going for pleasure drives unless you know super secret twisty roads I am totally not aware of .
There quite a few great roads around. Local PCA organizes many local drives I’m a bit further South East of the city, so quite easy to find a twisty this way
AlexCeres (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021 | 01:59 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

fwiw, distances are much much shorter late at night when everyone else is asleep. Lovely time to drive to nowhere and back.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
P-car-Vancouver (10-14-2021), UncleDude (10-16-2021)
Old 10-18-2021 | 11:02 AM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Speaking of break in, a dude brought in a 992 GT3 this weekend to Road America for a HPDE. Picked the car up on Friday afternoon and took in to the track on Saturday morning, with 250 miles on the clock.
Old 10-18-2021 | 04:34 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdlondon
Speaking of break in, a dude brought in a 992 GT3 this weekend to Road America for a HPDE. Picked the car up on Friday afternoon and took in to the track on Saturday morning, with 250 miles on the clock.
Your buddy must have a lot of monies so he could care less about proper Break-in-Miles.

Heck, if one is wealthy why not just do your thing as the cost factor doesn't even enter into it.

Terry
Old 10-18-2021 | 11:01 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Your buddy must have a lot of monies so he could care less about proper Break-in-Miles.

Heck, if one is wealthy why not just do your thing as the cost factor doesn't even enter into it.

Terry
The break-in on my 981 GT4 was from Perimeter in Atlanta to AMPs. Then spent the weekend in the Smokies. Absolutely no issues with that car.
Old 10-19-2021 | 12:38 AM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Terry
I don't know the person, but yes didn't seem like someone who would care about potential issues.
Having said that, my GT4 I took to Willow Springs with 900 miles. My SA said the same thing someone else wrote here above: Don't worry about it, just drive however you see fit.
Old 10-19-2021 | 11:54 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The break-in on my 981 GT4 was from Perimeter in Atlanta to AMPs. Then spent the weekend in the Smokies. Absolutely no issues with that car.
Originally Posted by tdlondon
I don't know the person, but yes didn't seem like someone who would care about potential issues.
Having said that, my GT4 I took to Willow Springs with 900 miles. My SA said the same thing someone else wrote here above: Don't worry about it, just drive however you see fit.
Guys,

Seriously I think all of us should drive and do whatever we wish.
If one wishes to do the Porsche 2,000 Break-in-Miles then do so.
But ..........
If a person/persons could care less about Break-in-Miles do their thing and don't look back.

Terry
Zhao (10-19-2021)
Old 10-11-2024 | 06:16 PM
jaeggernaut
AutoX

Just finished breaking in my GT4. I used the method attributed to Andreas Preuninger that people have posted in the past about.
I actually didn’t realize Porsche had an official procedure until I completed the break-in. 🤦‍♂️

I made a video about it: Too Aggressive? Did I Break In the Porsche 718 GT4 the Wrong Way?!
Old 10-11-2024 | 06:57 PM
Jon H
Racer

"a dude brought in a 992 GT3 this weekend to Road America for a HPDE" / "with 250 miles on the clock."

Given that the
GT3 / 3RS / 4RS break-in is don't exceed 7K RPM for 1st 932 miles, doing a HPDE wouldn't be that big a
deal, as long as you don't exceed 7K RPM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jon H:
Mike981S (10-14-2024), TDT (10-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Why the break in? Your experience?