Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Why the break in? Your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 06:17 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
Everybody had an opinion of break-in, so let me throw this one out: I was at PEC Atlanta yesterday picking up my new CGTS 4.0, and the instructor pointed out some new track cars sitting beside the building, and he told me they put 100 miles on them and then hit the track . So that's their break-in period, 100 miles. Probably a little drastic for me but they get really thrashed on the track (I know I thrashed the one I drove) and then after a few thousand miles they are sold to customers. I will follow Prueninger's advice myself.
I wouldn't get too excited about what PEC does. Those cars are professionally maintained by a dedicated team and inspected daily. They aren't on your owners manual maintenance schedule. Are you taking your car to the mechanic daily ? And yes, then the cars get thrashed.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:29 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,720 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
Everybody had an opinion of break-in, so let me throw this one out: I was at PEC Atlanta yesterday picking up my new CGTS 4.0, and the instructor pointed out some new track cars sitting beside the building, and he told me they put 100 miles on them and then hit the track . So that's their break-in period, 100 miles. Probably a little drastic for me but they get really thrashed on the track (I know I thrashed the one I drove) and then after a few thousand miles they are sold to customers. I will follow Prueninger's advice myself.
Well that’s better than the PCNA employees who seat the rings at the first on-ramp...

Regarding AP’s comments so often quoted, that was with respect to the break in for GT division test cars...so little different animal, but perhaps close enough.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:44 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
I wouldn't get too excited about what PEC does. Those cars are professionally maintained by a dedicated team and inspected daily. They aren't on your owners manual maintenance schedule. Are you taking your car to the mechanic daily ? And yes, then the cars get thrashed.
Beyond that, they aren't going to have the moral resolve to care about this and properly break cars in via tedious pussyfooting around the street until they are track ready. They thrash cars just like press units are thrashed, and they are surely sold as demos. To me that doesn't indicate best practice on break-in, that just indicates business interest best practices.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:00 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Beyond that, they aren't going to have the moral resolve to care about this and properly break cars in via tedious pussyfooting around the street until they are track ready. They thrash cars just like press units are thrashed, and they are surely sold as demos. To me that doesn't indicate best practice on break-in, that just indicates business interest best practices.
While true they also expect the cars to survive the CPO period after doing this with reasonable odds, so it can’t be totally wrong....
Old 04-02-2021, 09:43 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
While true they also expect the cars to survive the CPO period after doing this with reasonable odds, so it can’t be totally wrong....
Can’t provide any evidence to support but gut instinct tells me that hiring drivers to put controlled rpm break in miles on all these cars, plus the added depreciation due to these miles is going to far outweigh the probability and financial impacts of possible of engine failure while in the CPO window.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:05 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

It does not hurt to do gradual rpm increases over the first 1k miles, when the engine has warmed about 180...better safe than sorry.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:10 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 43 Posts

As an engineer I have a lot of mechanical empathy and cringe to think of running the engine to redline when new. On the other hand, keeping it below 4K RPM for 2K miles then suddenly being cleared to redline does not seem right either. Given how fast the pistons are moving, even at 4K RPM, everything in the engine will be pretty much broken in during the first 500 to 1000 miles. AP's recommendation to gradually increase the RPM over the first 1K miles makes a lot of sense. If you're feeling conservative, spread it out to 1500 miles. I suspect the recommendation to keep the RPM below 4K for 2K miles comes from Porsche's desire to keep new owners from killing themselves before they learn what the car can do.
The following 4 users liked this post by SpydrGuy:
daaa nope (04-04-2021), Goodwood (04-04-2021), sobiloff (04-03-2021), tigerhonaker (04-05-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 05:59 PM
JohnC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 96 Posts

For both 997.2 and Macan I did the break-in to around 1500 miles. However for the GT4 I will follow AP's method of gradual increase of RPM to about 1000 miles. I typical keep my cars past 100K miles so proper break-in do make me sleep better at night.

John
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 02:59 AM
YZ250
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm doing the 2K miles with < 4K RPM. With some mix of back roads and highway, I'm seeing about 50 mph average. At that rate, it is 40 hours to get to 2K miles. Holy cow, that is like a job to get the thing broken in. Porsche should be paying me . Seriously, I am having to plan out time off work so I can go out grind out some incredibly boring miles to keep this from taking months. Its a GT car, not a daily driver. Hour after hour. Burning gas. Burning off the super nice Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. Can't they break these things in at the factory? I'm unimpressed. I don't want regrets, so I do it, but my goodness, this is a giant pain.
The following 2 users liked this post by YZ250:
Goodwood (04-04-2021), tigerhonaker (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 07:35 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by YZ250
I'm doing the 2K miles with < 4K RPM. With some mix of back roads and highway, I'm seeing about 50 mph average. At that rate, it is 40 hours to get to 2K miles. Holy cow, that is like a job to get the thing broken in. Porsche should be paying me . Seriously, I am having to plan out time off work so I can go out grind out some incredibly boring miles to keep this from taking months. Its a GT car, not a daily driver. Hour after hour. Burning gas. Burning off the super nice Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. Can't they break these things in at the factory? I'm unimpressed. I don't want regrets, so I do it, but my goodness, this is a giant pain.
That's what I did with my previous 981 GTS, but this time I've decided to follow AP's schedule instead, took a late afternoon drive yesterday and wound it up to 5000 glorious rpm. Only 50 more miles and I go to 5500, and I just got the car Thursday. To each his own.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:49 AM
Mtnbkrlts
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts

I've followed owners manual break-in directions in my past new car purchases. Better safe than sorry I guess?
josephr25 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 09:54 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

FWIW, my SA told me he's had customers break them in strictly according to the recommendations and others driving them hell bent for leather from day 1, and he cannot see any difference between the two as to longevity or service problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mitchell:
daaa nope (04-04-2021), TurboTime997 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 01:36 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,099 Likes on 537 Posts

Yes, both ways work just fine, but which is obviously better? We Porsche owners generally want the Best out of everything we do, and AP has been building the Best Porsches for over two decades.

Less than 100 miles for me to hit the full 8,000 rpms. Then I can just drive by the sound of the motor and not have to keep looking down at the tach to stay within the appropriate rpm range.

Good luck to all with whatever break-in method you should chose for your GT4.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:01 PM
VEGAM
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CZ718GT4
I mean, yes to the extent that I rather search on google and restrict search results to "rennlist.com"
+1. But really, comparing google search to RL search should be borderline criminal.
josephr25 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 10:49 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
It does not hurt to do gradual rpm increases over the first 1k miles, when the engine has warmed about 180...better safe than sorry.
On a related but somewhat separate note, Jack Raby (Flat Six Innovations) recommends keeping the revs below 3000 until the engine has fully warmed up, OIL temp, not coolant temp. 200 degrees is his target. It usually takes 6-7 miles to achieve this level. I think this is pretty good advice. Oil temp is a much better indication of the state of an engine than coolant temp. Now if you want to go so far as to get the transaxle warm too, then it will take quite a bit longer. YMMV.

Quick Reply: Why the break in? Your experience?