Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Just for fun... 2021 PDK GT4 OR 2021 Audi RWD R8

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 12:42 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts
Default Just for fun... 2021 PDK GT4 OR 2021 Audi RWD R8

I test drove the RWD R8 today and I was pretty impressed. Very quick car. I know very little about the R8 though and how it feels at 9/10ths compared to the 718 GT4.

Anyone have seat time in both?
Old 03-08-2021, 12:53 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,732 Likes on 5,125 Posts

Audi.

#BecauseV10
Old 03-08-2021, 02:01 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,575 Likes on 603 Posts

The GT4 is more of a track tool that can be enjoyed on the road whereas the R8 is a baby supercar you can take to the track on the odd occasion. The V10 is superb even in the somewhat downtuned state (I suspect there's software to unlock a lot more power)

The R8 is the superior car.

I just don't like what Audi did with the styling and it doesn't tickle me in the same way a GT Porsche does. So it's totally a matter of taste and personal preference.

Last edited by JCviggen; 03-08-2021 at 02:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCviggen:
n4v4nod (03-08-2021), porscheflat6 (03-11-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 02:20 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCviggen
The GT4 is more of a track tool that can be enjoyed on the road whereas the R8 is a baby supercar you can take to the track on the odd occasion. The V10 is superb even in the somewhat downtuned state (I suspect there's software to unlock a lot more power)

The R8 is the superior car.

I just don't like what Audi did with the styling and it doesn't tickle me in the same way a GT Porsche does. So it's totally a matter of taste and personal preference.

Thanks for the insight. What are your thoughts on the fixed dampers in the R8? The RWD version doesn't come with magnaride, only the fixed dampers. They felt great to me just on the test drive ve, but have no clue how good they are when driven hard and near the limits.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:32 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,575 Likes on 603 Posts

I'm extrapolating a bit here as I've driven many R8s as a reviewer and have read what others are saying, but I haven't driven the latest RWD. I don't think you'll find them lacking on track at all, and they'll be predictable and intuitive due to being passive. I would take them over the adaptive ones any day of the week.

But Audi makes sure about road comfort first, so if you put on the stickiest R-comps you can find and push it to within an inch of its life on track, it may tend to be a bit soft. Then again you could say that even about the GT4. You'd nearly always want a car to be stiffer for the track it's just that there's a limit to how much you can get away with and still have an acceptable road car.

The R8 is a genuine bargain for what you're getting (basically 90% of a Lambo but with decent headroom and minus the look at me! factor) which is why it appeals to my rational brain first.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:38 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 591 Posts

I have owned two R8 , 2017 V10 plus , and 2020 Spyder performance . They are great cars and they don't get a lot of love here for some reason ... They handle very well , engine sound is great , the interior is great, also DSG is quick .Ride is softer than GT cars
Gt4 is a different car
I think you can't go wrong with either
Old 03-08-2021, 01:47 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

It depends on what you want. They are very different cars. There are factory race car versions of each which are not far removed from the street car versions.

Traction control on the RWS engages very early. It's set up for your typical driver, but can be turned off.
RWS will be significantly faster. Seating position is horrible for me. Much, much less storage space if that matters. Steering a bit light, artificial and numb.
Sound is glorious.
Even in Scottsdale where supercars roam the streets, the R8 gets absurd amounts of attention.
It's a wide car with crazy long doors. Can make parking a challenge.
The RWS handles better than the AWD versions. And weighs less although it's still a porker.
Can be daily driven if you can live with the compromises.

The GT4 will have sharper, more precise handling. Albeit not as fast as the RWS. I think it's more fun as you can get closer to the limit at less insane speeds.
Way more storage space in the GT4. Steering is better sorted and more precise. Manual is still an option if that matters.
Porsche PDK is slightly better than the Audi S-tronic. Still the king of the dual clutch autos.
Seating position is far better for me.
GT4 gets no more attention than any other Porsche. Around here that means it's almost unnoticed.
Much smaller and more nimble car. Easier to live with on a daily basis.

Neither is a bad choice. Just need to figure out which works best for your use.
I've owned an R8 V8, R8 V10 and R8 RWS. Kept my 981 GT4 longer than all three R8's combined.

Last edited by Dr.Bill; 03-08-2021 at 01:49 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dr.Bill:
AZWCat (03-11-2021), josephr25 (03-08-2021), phefner (03-09-2021), porscheflat6 (03-11-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 04:02 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pitt911
I have owned two R8 , 2017 V10 plus , and 2020 Spyder performance . They are great cars and they don't get a lot of love here for some reason ... They handle very well , engine sound is great , the interior is great, also DSG is quick .Ride is softer than GT cars
Gt4 is a different car
I think you can't go wrong with either

Thank you sir for the info.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:05 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
It depends on what you want. They are very different cars. There are factory race car versions of each which are not far removed from the street car versions.

Traction control on the RWS engages very early. It's set up for your typical driver, but can be turned off.
RWS will be significantly faster. Seating position is horrible for me. Much, much less storage space if that matters. Steering a bit light, artificial and numb.
Sound is glorious.
Even in Scottsdale where supercars roam the streets, the R8 gets absurd amounts of attention.
It's a wide car with crazy long doors. Can make parking a challenge.
The RWS handles better than the AWD versions. And weighs less although it's still a porker.
Can be daily driven if you can live with the compromises.

The GT4 will have sharper, more precise handling. Albeit not as fast as the RWS. I think it's more fun as you can get closer to the limit at less insane speeds.
Way more storage space in the GT4. Steering is better sorted and more precise. Manual is still an option if that matters.
Porsche PDK is slightly better than the Audi S-tronic. Still the king of the dual clutch autos.
Seating position is far better for me.
GT4 gets no more attention than any other Porsche. Around here that means it's almost unnoticed.
Much smaller and more nimble car. Easier to live with on a daily basis.

Neither is a bad choice. Just need to figure out which works best for your use.
I've owned an R8 V8, R8 V10 and R8 RWS. Kept my 981 GT4 longer than all three R8's combined.

My plan is still the PDK GT4 , I am just getting back up plans together, just in case the allocation game continues or Porsche tries to pulls a "limited" 2022 build on the GT4.

Right now, Plan B & C (in no particular order) are the upcoming C8 Z06 or the Audi RWD R8.
The following users liked this post:
mr965 (03-22-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 04:23 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 287 Posts

Even if not as athletic as a GT4... at least you get that sound. Who knows if there will be another V10 Audi in the future.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:18 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Was really close to buying an R8, but the setting position and lack of storage did it in for me.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:53 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

Having owned a gen 2 R8 and spyder i would say if manual get the gt4, if pdk get the R8.
R8 trans is way better than the pdk, i would liken it to the gt3 rs pdk-s. Its on another level. That manual gt4 is a much more engaging car though. And it feels like a race car which the R8 certainly does not.
The things I didnt like about the R8 (v10 plus) are the sofa seats (kill the sportiness/no lateral support), paddle shifters need swapping out (unacceptable), gear ratios are too short (you need to retrain your brain in manual mode), and the non mag ride suspension is brutal. That said, I would take an R8 with buckets over the pdk gt4 7 days a week and twice on sunday.

Last edited by Rennolazine; 03-09-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:41 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Having owned a gen 2 R8 and spyder i would say if manual get the gt4, if pdk get the R8.
R8 trans is way better than the pdk, i would liken it to the gt3 rs pdk-s. Its on another level. That manual gt4 is a much more engaging car though. And it feels like a race car which the R8 certainly does not.
The things I didnt like about the R8 (v10 plus) are the sofa seats (kill the sportiness/no lateral support), paddle shifters need swapping out (unacceptable), gear ratios are too short (you need to retrain your brain in manual mode), and the non mag ride suspension is brutal. That said, I would take an R8 with buckets over the pdk gt4 7 days a week and twice on sunday.
The GT4's shift speed is already pretty much instant relative to our perception, and it's impressively smart in its gear selection strategy when left on its own. How could a transmission be better than that? I'm curious what makes the R8's DCT so much better than the GT4 PDK.
The following users liked this post:
Traind (03-10-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 12:56 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
The GT4's shift speed is already pretty much instant relative to our perception, and it's impressively smart in its gear selection strategy when left on its own. How could a transmission be better than that? I'm curious what makes the R8's DCT so much better than the GT4 PDK.
because the lambo trans feels better in manual mode with respect to shift speed (especially downshifts) and raciness compared to any 911 ive driven including the 991.2 gt3. The only thing that is in that league in manual mode is the rs which is a different part number from the gt3. I havent driven a pdk gt4. But i cant see it being better than the 991.2 gt3 with actual pdk-s and not just a tcu tune on a base cayman transmission. Prove me wrong
i will say sport pdk auto program is much more agressive tho unless you are actually
on track. Then its similar

Last edited by Rennolazine; 03-09-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:02 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
Agreed. Until they can bluetooth to our brains, it's about as good as it gets.

Quick Reply: Just for fun... 2021 PDK GT4 OR 2021 Audi RWD R8