Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Lost 1st, 3rd and 5th gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 09:00 AM
hmintz
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

I knew you were kidding because Porsche doesn't sell anything for $17.

Howard
The following 4 users liked this post by hmintz:
CaymanMatt (09-30-2021), Dan Nagy (08-22-2021), MM3.9GT3 (03-09-2024), UncleDude (10-01-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 10:42 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by hmintz
I knew you were kidding because Porsche doesn't sell anything for $17.

Howard
I swear I saw a 3 pack of Porsche Paperclips last time I was in service...but they might have been $17.95
Old 09-30-2021, 10:56 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I swear I saw a 3 pack of Porsche Paperclips last time I was in service...but they might have been $17.95
Sorry, they’re $20…

The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
smegman (09-30-2021), UncleDude (10-01-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 11:38 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Sorry, they’re $20…

Can we please stay on topic.
The following users liked this post:
smegman (09-30-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 04:16 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 749 Likes on 354 Posts

I just started paying attention to this issue, as there have been several threads about the shift linkage connection failing. Porsche's TSB that recommends zip ties to reinforce the shift linkage connector as a solution should not be acceptable to any car owner from any manufacturer,

If you are in the US and have experienced this issue on your car, please report it to the US DOT via the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issue submission form (online or by phone): https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

A gear selector failure that can happen at speed is a serious SAFETY ISSUE. And unfortunately, it looks like the only way we will get Porsche's attention to provide a real fix is if they have to answer to regulators about it.

The following 4 users liked this post by 0-Day:
maschinetheist (03-11-2024), minn19 (10-02-2021), Paiceyfan (10-01-2021), unclemat (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 04:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Day
I just started paying attention to this issue, as there have been several threads about the shift linkage connection failing. Porsche's TSB that recommends zip ties to reinforce the shift linkage connector as a solution should not be acceptable to any car owner from any manufacturer,

If you are in the US and have experienced this issue on your car, please report it to the US DOT via the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issue submission form (online or by phone): https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

A gear selector failure that can happen at speed is a serious SAFETY ISSUE. And unfortunately, it looks like the only way we will get Porsche's attention to provide a real fix is if they have to answer to regulators about it.

Old 01-28-2024, 01:10 PM
Soccs
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone... I have a 20 GT4 MT and this just happen to me as welll. i have 30k kms pratically done on track...
Old 01-28-2024, 01:57 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Is it the shifter cable that snap (in 2 pieces) or was it the plastic cable shifter end that broke. If it was the later, I much prefer the function-first aluminum cable end replacement solution
Larry Cable (01-28-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 09:53 PM
Couchking
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Manual transmission problem - Lost odd gears

Hey everyone,

After budgeting for years, I recently took delivery of a 2024 CGTS 4.0 with a manual gearbox. Due to the weather and excessive amount of salt on the roads these past few months, I've only put about 700 miles on it so far. Mechanically, the car has been problem free as expected although not driven hard at all yet. I did have some very prolonged electrical issues with it at delivery involving an airbag system fault that I'll post about separately at some point, but that was eventually remedied and I do not think it's at all related to my current issue. It's completely stock.

While driving today, I had an issue with the manual gearbox going unresponsive (for lack of a better term) while driving and was hoping to get some opinions on what it could be. Prior to this the car had been sitting in my garage on a battery tender for the past 2 weeks, and I finally had a chance to take it out this morning. It started up fine, warmed up idling a minute, and then I started driving on my normal route. About 5 minutes into my drive under normal driving conditions, I notice the shifter felt loose in 5th gear almost as if I could shift down out of the gear without much effort. This felt very odd to me, so I then shifted down to 4th and tried to shift back up to 5th just in-case I wasn't fully seated in the gear. When I tried to do this, 5th gear was essentially gone and would not engage. I slowed down immediately, and found that I had essentially lost the ability to go into the odd gears R-1-3-5. I was able to get it home using 2nd and 4th, but the entire experience left me unsettled. When I got it back into the garage at home and shut off the engine, I was once again able to shift into all gears without an issue. Drove it again this evening after work for a few minutes, and all 6 gears + reverse work fine once again.

I had initially though that this could be a broken shifter cable or linkage, but this theory was seemingly proven wrong now that it works again. I've read some threads about early GT4s that had this issue, but it seems like those were persistent even after restarting the car and often related to track use.

For background, I've driven manual transmission cars consistently for the past 15 years and I don't drive my cars very hard at all. My dealer has been incredible with communication on the issue and is setting me up with a flatbed pickup and loaner while they check it out. I'm stumped as to what this could be, and am hoping that someone in the community can help shed some light on what to look for. Really hoping this doesn't mean a transmission replacement.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-08-2024, 10:05 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,359 Likes on 828 Posts

There have been reports of manual transmission issues reported on here before. But this supposedly was solved and fixed. You may want to search on the regular 718 forum as well.
Couchking (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 10:12 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Couchking
Hey everyone,

After budgeting for years, I recently took delivery of a 2024 CGTS 4.0 with a manual gearbox. Due to the weather and excessive amount of salt on the roads these past few months, I've only put about 700 miles on it so far. Mechanically, the car has been problem free as expected although not driven hard at all yet. I did have some very prolonged electrical issues with it at delivery involving an airbag system fault that I'll post about separately at some point, but that was eventually remedied and I do not think it's at all related to my current issue. It's completely stock.

While driving today, I had an issue with the manual gearbox going unresponsive (for lack of a better term) while driving and was hoping to get some opinions on what it could be. Prior to this the car had been sitting in my garage on a battery tender for the past 2 weeks, and I finally had a chance to take it out this morning. It started up fine, warmed up idling a minute, and then I started driving on my normal route. About 5 minutes into my drive under normal driving conditions, I notice the shifter felt loose in 5th gear almost as if I could shift down out of the gear without much effort. This felt very odd to me, so I then shifted down to 4th and tried to shift back up to 5th just in-case I wasn't fully seated in the gear. When I tried to do this, 5th gear was essentially gone and would not engage. I slowed down immediately, and found that I had essentially lost the ability to go into the odd gears R-1-3-5. I was able to get it home using 2nd and 4th, but the entire experience left me unsettled. When I got it back into the garage at home and shut off the engine, I was once again able to shift into all gears without an issue. Drove it again this evening after work for a few minutes, and all 6 gears + reverse work fine once again.

I had initially though that this could be a broken shifter cable or linkage, but this theory was seemingly proven wrong now that it works again. I've read some threads about early GT4s that had this issue, but it seems like those were persistent even after restarting the car and often related to track use.

For background, I've driven manual transmission cars consistently for the past 15 years and I don't drive my cars very hard at all. My dealer has been incredible with communication on the issue and is setting me up with a flatbed pickup and loaner while they check it out. I'm stumped as to what this could be, and am hoping that someone in the community can help shed some light on what to look for. Really hoping this doesn't mean a transmission replacement.

Thanks in advance
Hey, merged your thread with previous discussion.

Search this thread, think there is a TSB.

Good luck!
Couchking (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 10:49 PM
Couchking
8th Gear

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Hey, merged your thread with previous discussion.

Search this thread, think there is a TSB.

Good luck!
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2024, 11:40 PM
Couchking
8th Gear

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Just to share my experience, might help others...

Lost all my odd gears, downshifting from 4th gear to 3rd gear.
After I downshifted, applied gas pedal and I was in neutral... Impossible to engage 3rd.
I then downshifted again to 2nd and it was OK.
I had lost Reverse, 1st, 3rd & 5th.

Ended up calling Service at my dealer, I was far from home. He searched and got back to me with a tech bulletin (great service). Shifter cable was out of his socket... just like that.
I ended up removing rear diffuser myself, center section and re-attaching the cable + Ty-Raps.

DIY job, all good now. Porsche dont have a permanent fix yet.

FWIW

Did turning your car off and on again temporarily fix this problem when it happened? I have the same issue on my 2024, but it seems to have disappeared after letting the car sit off for a few hours. Odd that it would self correct in my case if it was in fact a detached shift cable.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:18 AM
planolemans
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Couchking
Did turning your car off and on again temporarily fix this problem when it happened? I have the same issue on my 2024, but it seems to have disappeared after letting the car sit off for a few hours. Odd that it would self correct in my case if it was in fact a detached shift cable.
I just preemptively wrap some wire tie on it when I did the oil change. Insurance for 1 buck

Quick Reply: Lost 1st, 3rd and 5th gears