Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PDI, happy / sad

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 08:06 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Why does the one pad have the relief cuts in it and the other does not?
Old 02-08-2021, 09:38 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

I don't know what I'm looking at. 2 different models of front pads that looks like they came off 2 different cars, one that was abused. Was your car used to do hot laps around the port? stuck caliper? Those pictures don't make much sense on a car that's just been PDI'ed.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:36 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

It’s the surface of one pad and the back of the other in a set. The pads stuck to the rotors since they were probably wet when it was loaded then it spent 20 days on the ocean. They do exactly the same thing every time you wash the car and don’t drive it immediately to dry the brakes. My BGTS did it all the time since I live 300 yards from salt water and 3/4 mile from the ocean.

This looks like they were so stuck so much it pulled chunks of the pad off. It’s a good catch but a simpler fix would be to sand the rotors and drop in new pads as I doubt the rotors are damaged.

Since my Spyder was on the same ship and has been stuck in a mechanical hold for 2 weeks I wonder they discovered this on mine at the port? I’ll need to take a close look at the rotors when it eventually shows up.

Last edited by mjw930; 02-08-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:01 PM
Zhao
Drifting

^ that makes sense, but why are the pads different shapes and designs inside and out? The replacement oem pads don't look like that.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:19 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
^ that makes sense, but why are the pads different shapes and designs inside and out? The replacement oem pads don't look like that.
At closer look the one on the right is the pad side, not the back and since I haven’t seen what the stock pads look like I can’t make a judgement. The one of the left does look to have material missing but the right one doesn’t look like it’s ever touched a rotor. What are the odds the factory loaded the wrong pad in the caliper? I’m thinking slim to none but stranger things have happened.

I did scare up pictures of the pads on the 2016 GT4, should be the same part. The one on the left in the OP’s picture looks incorrect but that doesn’t mean they didn’t change it.

Last edited by mjw930; 02-08-2021 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:48 PM
Zhao
Drifting

If it was chevy I'd say pretty good lol (they didn't even put pads in some vehicles), but Porsche... some German guy's head would explode.

The pad on the right looks like what an oem pad should look like. The pad on the left I have no idea. correct backing plate, but wrong brake pad compound design. Only GT4 and GT3 pads fit, but they're all the same part number so it's unlikely its from another porsche. Other porsche pads have different styles of backing plates, and don't have the slots. Clubsport and cup car pads have slots, but are different caliper designs. Pretty weird.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:51 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

How did this devolve into identifying what is the front and back side of the pad? Am I missing something obvious?
Old 02-09-2021, 12:03 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
How did this devolve into identifying what is the front and back side of the pad? Am I missing something obvious?
Someone posted that the pads looked different and on a quick glance I thought the right pad looked like a backing plate. I looked again and realized I was mistaken. So it’s my fault, sorry.....

I did a bit more digging and West Palm Beach Porsche has a Yellow GT4 PDK listed on their site that was built the same day as mine, I’m assuming it’s space man’s car. This may go a long way in explaining why my Spyder is/was on a mechanical port hold and missed its ride to the dealership.

Last edited by mjw930; 02-09-2021 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:25 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mjw930
Someone posted that the pads looked different and on a quick glance I thought the right pad looked like a backing plate. I looked again and realized I was mistaken. So it’s my fault, sorry.....
apology accepted! I was just wondering what I was overlooking. Good to hear it was apparently nothing
Old 02-09-2021, 02:58 AM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

Huh. I took delivery of my GT4 in Northern CA on January 20. When I looked at the brake pads through the wheels I thought they had a funny profile on the side.

Looking at this picture - I suspect the pad on the left is what’s on my car also. I’ll take a closer look tomorrow.

Have had no actual issues with the brakes, they feel great and work great.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:31 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

I imagine it’s entirely possible they made a running change in the part but I don’t think I’ve ever seen asymmetric brake pads.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:05 AM
space man
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
It’s the surface of one pad and the back of the other in a set. The pads stuck to the rotors since they were probably wet when it was loaded then it spent 20 days on the ocean. They do exactly the same thing every time you wash the car and don’t drive it immediately to dry the brakes. My BGTS did it all the time since I live 300 yards from salt water and 3/4 mile from the ocean.

This looks like they were so stuck so much it pulled chunks of the pad off. It’s a good catch but a simpler fix would be to sand the rotors and drop in new pads as I doubt the rotors are damaged.

Since my Spyder was on the same ship and has been stuck in a mechanical hold for 2 weeks I wonder they discovered this on mine at the port? I’ll need to take a close look at the rotors when it eventually shows up.
Excellent call that is exactly what the service manager said. They also said they would not sand the rotor since it was a brand new car i was told they have the rotor but waiting on the brake pads
Old 02-09-2021, 10:11 AM
space man
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts

gentleman i just checked my text i believe but will verify the Porsche dealer is showing me a damaged pad and the new pad sent but is the wrong one, i am to get a call by noon today for a clarification and when the new pad that matches this car should arrive
Old 02-09-2021, 10:39 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by space man
gentleman i just checked my text i believe but will verify the Porsche dealer is showing me a damaged pad and the new pad sent but is the wrong one, i am to get a call by noon today for a clarification and when the new pad that matches this car should arrive
Enjoy your soon to be GT4

That is a truly outstanding Porsche Dealership and so is the Technician that caught that.

If that was my New GT4 I think I would do a Gift-Card for that Technician and give it to the Service Manager to give to him for his Beyond-Excellent-Service.

Terry
Old 02-09-2021, 10:53 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by space man
Ah Ha, that makes a lot more sense.
Interesting, it would then appear that the pads on the 2021 are not the same as what came on the previous GT3/GT4. At this point I'd say put on the pads they have and I'll come back for the others but I'm impatient.

Quick Reply: PDI, happy / sad